Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

YEAH!!! This is going to be awesome!!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Spectacular Member

Can't wait for this, this book is definitely for King. It's clear from reading that interview he has a good take and understanding of the new gods, and the Grant Morrison reference seemed fitting because in my honest opinion other than obviously Kirby, and also Simonson he's the only other writer who truly grasps what the new gods are all about.

Am sold, happy it's a 12 issue too, August can't come quick enough.

So excited for this! I'm loving everything I'm hearing!

Loved Barda standing up for Scott and putting Orion in his place.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So I'm guessing this is just going to ignore pretty much everything regarding the New 52 New Gods?
    Until I hear otherwise, I believe the New 52 New Gods was a test run by Doctor Manhattan, decided it didn't work and it got erased by the return of pre-New 52 Wally West.
    Last edited by Elegant Dreamer; 05-13-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegant Dreamer View Post
    Until I hear otherwise, I believe the New 52 New Gods was a test run by Doctor Manhattan, decided it didn't and it got erased by the return of pre-New 52 Wally West.
    i liked a lot of books and reimaginings in the New 52 but what was done with the New Gods was not one of them. Highfather was a totalitarian douche, Orion was a frat boy, and Darkseid's new origin was horrible! not to mention the fact that he was decked out in gold. wtf?!?

the New 52 Fourth World stories never happened as far as im concerned.

Man, Mister Miracle is one of my favorite characters and this just looks like the perfect take on him right now...kinda cosmic, kinda modern, with hints of the suburbia take from the Giffen era. Can't wait!

Just hope they don't go the full Jesus route and kill Scott at the end.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Just hope they don't go the full Jesus route and kill Scott at the end.
    Full Jesus would mean he'd be resurrected.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Oooh, can you explain? I want to get it, but so far, I'm a bit puzzled.
    It's most likely that Scott is a pacifist at heart and would continue to get up and struck down over and over, without giving Orion the satisfaction of 'beating' him, until Orion concedes. Which, by his nature, he probably wouldn't.

Barda likely sees it as a pointless show on both their parts.

Meanwhile, Orion is still hung up on identifying by labels, calling himself 'the son of Darkseid', which to him makes him more righteous or important. And contrasts with the fact that he lived in the luxury of New Genesis while Scott suffered the worst of Apokolips.
    It also contrasts with how he treated Forager as 'lesser being' than him, or any other New God, because he was a Bug, despite his heroism and sacrifice dwarfed anything Orion had done.
    Orion demands respect for his lineage and label, while refusing it to others who deserve it by their acts and experiences.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I honestly think this is a better fit for him then Batman.
    I agree.
    But Batman was a necessary step in making him a credible writer, at least to the comic shop crowd.
    Most creators aren't taken seriously until they do a Batman or X-Men book.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    It's most likely that Scott is a pacifist at heart and would continue to get up and struck down over and over, without giving Orion the satisfaction of 'beating' him, until Orion concedes. Which, by his nature, he probably wouldn't.

Barda likely sees it as a pointless show on both their parts.

Meanwhile, Orion is still hung up on identifying by labels, calling himself 'the son of Darkseid', which to him makes him more righteous or important. And contrasts with the fact that he lived in the luxury of New Genesis while Scott suffered the worst of Apokolips.
    It also contrasts with how he treated Forager as 'lesser being' than him, or any other New God, because he was a Bug, despite his heroism and sacrifice dwarfed anything Orion had done.
    Orion demands respect for his lineage and label, while refusing it to others who deserve it by their acts and experiences.
    Thanks! That's super helpful. Do you think this comic will make sense to me as a newb to Kirby's stuff, or do I have to hunt down some of the backstory to enjoy it? Obviously, hunting down backstory will enrich it, but I'm curious if I can come in relatively cold and enjoy it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Looks like DC is getting more of my money.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Thanks! That's super helpful. Do you think this comic will make sense to me as a newb to Kirby's stuff, or do I have to hunt down some of the backstory to enjoy it? Obviously, hunting down backstory will enrich it, but I'm curious if I can come in relatively cold and enjoy it.
    I'd say that you could probably come into it cold. King will likely reference the important details, like he did with Omega Men.

However, IMHO, the original Kirby Fourth World stuff (Forever People, Mister Miracle and New Gods) are worth reading.
    They were ahead of their time in terms of storytelling and scope (and from what I've heard were too deep and complex for the typical comic readers at the time), while still very much inspired by the youth counter-culture movement of the '60s.
    His art was more polished in the '70s after drawing countless comics at Marvel.
    And the hyperbole narration and captions actually add to the charm, rather than making it cheesy.

And I would also recommend Cosmic Odyssey, which has become a staple of the New Gods mythos.

BANNED

Getting this for sure. Not sure I'm feeling the art on the preview but never the less, it's Mr Miracle and I loves me some Scott Free.

So amped for this. Love the creative team and the new God's (especially with Morrison/Kirby influence). Although I didn't love what he did with him for Seven Soldiers. I just know this is gonna be dope
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I'd say that you could probably come into it cold. King will likely reference the important details, like he did with Omega Men.

However, IMHO, the original Kirby Fourth World stuff (Forever People, Mister Miracle and New Gods) are worth reading.
    They were ahead of their time in terms of storytelling and scope (and from what I've heard were too deep and complex for the typical comic readers at the time), while still very much inspired by the youth counter-culture movement of the '60s.
    His art was more polished in the '70s after drawing countless comics at Marvel.
    And the hyperbole narration and captions actually add to the charm, rather than making it cheesy.

And I would also recommend Cosmic Odyssey, which has become a staple of the New Gods mythos.
    I shall keep an eye out for them!