Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    You know what I liked more about Vision compared to this book? It had an actual ending that tied things up.
    You can't have a definitive ending for a character whose schtick is that he runs away once he faces problems. Cuz there's always going to be problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I think we're having a difference of opinion of the word "cowardice". I'm looking upon it strictly as a negative, where the fear of confrontation, or effort,, or something else is more than is needed to live life. Bravery is still possible with retreat. Many are brave who retreat and avoid confrontation.
    That's true, but there's something about understanding that you simply can't deal with something and it's smart to run, or get other people who can to deal with the BS. That's Scott everytime a Darkseid event occurs. Cowardice also leads to both intelligence and perception to allow a person to literally map out every possible scenario to every scenario by instinct, because they're driven by fear of the unknown.

I think its because of his cowardice that Scott is as skilled has he is. He learned everything thing he did to make sure he would never suffer again. It's also not like he's got a weak will, because his fear of not being in control of his destiny is constantly pushing him forward to find away out because he is scared.

I just find it ironic that the man who can escape everything can't escape his own fear or guilt; can't escape the things that drive most human/sentient actions. Because of that, he'll eventually escape his "death" as he'll fear for Barda's safety and the guilt he'd live with if he did nothing. That doesn't mean he'll come back to face down the big bad. No, but it means he'll save her and run away with her, while leaving the big bad to the brave people.

Incredible Member

Ok, where are you getting this "Scott runs away form everything" stuff? While I certainly haven't read everything with him I have read a lot of comics that he was in and he's never come across that way to me.

I can't say I was disappointing by the final : the issue and the whole series are just so haunting...

But I guess in the same time I'm still struggling to get it rihht , trying to manage the mix of Twin Peaks vibes and of Dallas references...lol A few re-readings are obviously needed!

Anyway, what's sure is that I need to finally read day by day the whole content of that Fourth World Omnibus!

One thing I haven't found in all those interesting comment here is that I have the feeling that the definition of the 4th world in that last issue also add another layer to the book: I mean a meta one. The world we see when were trying to escape - writing comics, or reading them.

Obviously King is talking a lot about himself here- as much as in The Sheriff of Babylon (the war, the PTSD, the mundane life, and escapism...). And I guess is also talking about (some of us) (Even if were not ex CIA and not creators).

That's why all those ambiguities in the ending finally works very well imho - at least with me.

And I can't wait for the successor of that wonderful book! What a ride! What an incredible team!
    Last edited by Abe; 11-19-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    I just find it ironic that the man who can escape everything can't escape his own fear or guilt; can't escape the things that drive most human/sentient actions. Because of that, he'll eventually escape his "death" as he'll fear for Barda's safety and the guilt he'd live with if he did nothing. That doesn't mean he'll come back to face down the big bad. No, but it means he'll save her and run away with her, while leaving the big bad to the brave people.
    Barda doesn't strike me as someone who needs to be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I can't say I was disappointing by the final : the issue and the whole series are just so haunting...

But I guess in the same time I'm still struggling to get it rihht , trying to manage the mix of Twin Peaks vibes and of Dallas references...lol A few re-readings are obviously needed!
    I can't believe the Dallas reference doesn't have some meaning. The scene portrayed Pam Ewing waking up after having dreamed her husband was dead for a year and seeing him in the shower. Scott and Barda are drawn in the exact poses and expressions of Patrick Duffy and Victoria Principal. Was the series a dream? The scene seems to indicate that this last issue is "real", although the black boxes on some of the characters seem to indicate something is still up.

I love this series, but it makes my brain hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Barda doesn't strike me as someone who needs to be saved.
    That is irrelevant to someone who loves her.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Ok, where are you getting this "Scott runs away form everything" stuff? While I certainly haven't read everything with him I have read a lot of comics that he was in and he's never come across that way to me.
    Just his disposition (in contrast to Barda), his abilities and his actions. At least, that how I see him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Fine, I guess. I just think that a fan of Scot would know that he's always been the guy who would rather run then fight. King stayed true to the character, but itself like people wanted Scot to be retconned into a different person suddenly just to get an ideal ending. I just find that weird.
    Personally I thought was very different in this run, far less humores and more fatalistic, even self nihilistic

he's always come across as immature but optimistic to me, the great escapist always seeing a way out

This story wasn't about that, that's ok, I just wanted clarity for me as the reader even if the characters remain unsure

all of this 12 book run might be all in scotts head, or far more literal

we really don't know, I could cope with either or anything in between but not knowing, as the reader I find inherently frustrating and soundly disappointing

I don't mind a bad ending fir the characters, but I as a reader want to be clear on what that ending is

To all intents and purposes, for me, since I don't know how real any of the story has been (within the mythos itself), it's less that irrelevant, it might be the baby's day dream for example , if the baby is even real?
    Last edited by kilderkin; 11-20-2018 at 10:19 AM.

BANNED

it's a flunky flashman presentation.

BANNED

so

is this up there with Moore's Swamp Thing, Morrison's Animal Man and other highly acclaimed DC runs?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    so

is this up there with Moore's Swamp Thing, Morrison's Animal Man and other highly acclaimed DC runs?

No. Because the prestige and end result falls flat. I would have preferred a more definitive conclusion with just a hint of vagueness. The final act is very important. Watchmen ends with the world saved and the heroes able to retire but the possibility of the truth is outed, Grant Morrison shows up at the end of Animal man and literally writes a happy ending for Buddy and makes things better, V for Vendetta ends with the fall of the regime and a new V. This book ends with: everything is true or nothing is true.
    Last edited by whiterabbit; 11-20-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    No. Because the prestige and end result falls flat. I would have preferred a more definitive conclusion with just a hint of vagueness. The final act is very important. Watchmen ends with the world saved and the heroes able to retire but the possibility of the truth is outed, Grant Morrison shows up at the end of Animal man and literally writes a happy ending for Buddy and makes things better, V for Vendetta ends with the fall of the regime and a new V. This book ends with: everything is true or nothing is true.
    I agree

Imo it's not even close

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'll have to let it rest for a bit and re-read it again, but I think this series might be up there with Moore's Swamp Thing and Watchmen. It's challenging and doesn't tie everything up in a bow, but it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'll have to let it rest for a bit and re-read it again, but I think this series might be up there with Moore's Swamp Thing and Watchmen. It's challenging and doesn't tie everything up in a bow, but it worked for me.
    I'm not sure comparing this to Swamp Thing (or Morrison's Animal Man) is fair, as this, like Watchmen, was designed to be a complete package and not a continuing ongoing of undefined length. This is a much deeper read as fewer things are stated openly or spelled out. If you prefer a nice, neat package, this isn't the book for you. It managed to open up new territory as far as superhero comic story telling, though. Watchmen and Dark Knight got rave reviews. They also expanded on what came before it without totally changing the medium. Mister Miracle may be like that. Or it may be another American Flagg. IMHO, the first 12 issues of Flagg were as novel and groundbreaking as anything else out there at the time. But it's far less well known.

I doubt this will be forgotten. This series will always have fanatical supporters, even in a niche or cult style. Perhaps All-Star Superman is a better comparison.