Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I take it as him being dead, dreaming, affected by the anti life equation, etc, is at the end of the day irrelevant. The last conversation between Scott and Oberon makes a point on why this reality would be less important that any other, and I took it as a meta commentary about the nature of comicbooks and make me remember Moore’s Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow, that starts by pointing out that it’s an imaginary story, but at the end of the day every story is, and as so, it doesn’t matter if it takes place in continuity or not, just like MM. I don’t care if it’s ever referenced again, it’s a product of imagination and an amazing one at that, a resignification of characters that gave new life to them
    I don't agree...obviously. If Scott has abandoned real people in the other reality, it doesn't matter if the new one is real as well. And trying to argue that "it's all just made up" is destructive to someone trying to appreciate it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    I agree with your first three points. I don't agree with every part of your last point though. Appreciating open ended stories is not appreciationg bad art. There are good open ending and bad open ending. To me, Mister Miracle is an example of an open ending made right. I agree that not all stories need to be open ended though.
    Yeah, I went a bit too extreme on my last point. I guess I was triggered a bit by Lost being mentioned in same paragraph as Mister Miracle

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I don't agree...obviously. If Scott has abandoned real people in the other reality, it doesn't matter if the new one is real as well. And trying to argue that "it's all just made up" is destructive to someone trying to appreciate it.
    The "it's all just made up" point to me means that we can analyze Scott's actions more academically. If a real person was buried in a fantasy world connected with an attempted suicide, our emotions can be quite different based on how well we know the person. Scott and Barda are likable characters who went through a combination of mundane and extraordinary circumstances. Some of those happenings were both.

Except for the kids, the reset button was pressed for the "dead" characters. We still (and probably never will) have no idea what happened. Scott could be Marty McFly returning to 1985 and seeing how his family has changed. He could be Mongul at the end of "For the Man who has Everything" lost in his fantasy world. The details can mean many different things. Barda waking up says dream. Orion and Forager both say Scott's dead but disagree on his location. To be fair, depending on the inhabitant, a location could very well be heaven or hell. Oberon and Izaya are now the two father figures in Scott's life with Oberon replacing Darkseid. At least they have those roles in this issue.

The absence of either of these two throughout the first 11 and a half issues showed Scott needing to grow up and be an adult. There was no father figure directing him or helping him down a certain path. Scott needed to do this himself and seeing how he deals with Orion (as the brother) and ultimately Darkseid was a form of family drama made up to look like cosmic warfare. Which, of course, it is.

Scott's made his choice. I still have no idea what was the reason for the suicide attempt, but to me, it looks like Scott's learned to deal with problems and not only chooses not to escape, but has learned when it's appropriate and good to escape or face those problems. I'm going with this being a growing up story. Where there aren't always easy answers.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    I need your help,
    I've heard so many good review about this title that I'm tempted to buy it.
    Problem is I'm really hesitant cause I love some King works (Grayson, Omega Men) and less others (Batman and what is released of Heroes in Crisis).
    And most of all I've always hated everything about Kirby's fourth world, New Gods, multiverse etc etc.
    Should i try anyway?
    I would say no. You need some appreciation for Kirby's Fourth World for this story to work.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I would say no. You need some appreciation for Kirby's Fourth World for this story to work.
    Thanks! I trust of you and I'll keep my distance from it.

BANNED

by the way what ever happened to the original miracle man, Thaddeus Brown?

why did Kirby introduce Scott to take over the mantle?

Thaddeus Brown died in the first issue of Mister Miracle back in '74. He was killed by Intergang.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think this is right, but I also think it's distinct enough that it could serve as an exception.

How does your appreciation for the Fourth World help the ending make more sense to you? Curious to know if I should go read more Kirby to understand this. I know, I know, I should read more Kirby in general, but specifically for this?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Well I for one appreciate these kinds of open-ended, interpretable stories. I'd much rather have that than have all the answers given to me. The latter approach allows me with little reason to use my imagination. As the Bible describes the world we see as "through a glass, darkly" - this is a way of seeing that has a certain comfort level for me and often why I am drawn to art.

Why does Mona Lisa have that little smile? Why do God and Adam's fingers not touch on the Sistine Chapel ceiling? Why does listening to a work by Mozart bring on such emotional range? The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well I for one appreciate these kinds of open-ended, interpretable stories. I'd much rather have that than have all the answers given to me. The latter approach allows me with little reason to use my imagination. As the Bible describes the world we see as "through a glass, darkly" - this is a way of seeing that has a certain comfort level for me and often why I am drawn to art.

Why does Mona Lisa have that little smile? Why do God and Adam's fingers not touch on the Sistine Chapel ceiling? Why does listening to a work by Mozart bring on such emotional range? The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.
    I appreciate interpretation, but art is still communication, and if in the end I don't feel like I've heard anything coherent from the artist(s), I remain frustrated. Especially narrative art.

How does your appreciation for the Fourth World help the ending make more sense to you? Curious to know if I should go read more Kirby to understand this. I know, I know, I should read more Kirby in general, but specifically for this?
    Not want to speak for Bored, but the Kirby appreciation applies to the details more than the ending. The plot developments and the shifting of hierarchies as well as the Darkseid/Jacob part is pure Kirby inspired. It may very well work without knowledge of or love for the original works, but a lot of the appeal is lost

I appreciate interpretation, but art is still communication, and if in the end I don't feel like I've heard anything coherent from the artist(s), I remain frustrated. Especially narrative art.
    I get what you are saying, and its my belief that sometimes you just have to walk away from art. It would be nice to hear King state something definitive about the ending and its consequences. Partly its a matter of expectation, and the ending met mine.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Not want to speak for Bored, but the Kirby appreciation applies to the details more than the ending. The plot developments and the shifting of hierarchies as well as the Darkseid/Jacob part is pure Kirby inspired. It may very well work without knowledge of or love for the original works, but a lot of the appeal is lost
    Thanks. I have very little knowledge of the details that I didn't pick up from wikis or offhand references from more mainstream appearances of mostly Barda, but I thought King did a nice job of making me care about the characters and world. My biggest problem has been what King is trying to tell me, or share with me, or just say in general, with the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I get what you are saying, and its my belief that sometimes you just have to walk away from art. It would be nice to hear King state something definitive about the ending and its consequences. Partly its a matter of expectation, and the ending met mine.
    That's totally fair. I had very definite expectations from Omega Men and Vision, and this was different - which is fine, but I feel a bit betrayed by the fact that King said the final issue would tell us the answer to "was it a dream" or "different reality" or SOMETHING, and I feel like he basically said "The answer doesn't matter." Now, if he'd said "the answer doesn't matter" in the beginning, I wouldn't feel as betrayed. It wouldn't help me like the ending better, since I strongly dislike the idea of refusing to answer a question, but he said in the Word Balloon interview that there was an answer, and it would be clear. And it wasn't. Or I'm dumb, and can't see it. OR I'm seeing it, and I find it unacceptable ("you should run away from everything and leave those who love you grieving.")

I read all of Kirby's Mister Miracle in prep for this, and I found that knowing the context behind the original uses of the narration boxes added a level of irony to the story that is lost if one has not read all of the series.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)