Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738 LastLast

Obviously this doesn't even out Trump, but if he's responsible for an increase in sales for this book, that's at least one good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    This guy did:

Attachment 74553
    Hahah! That’s a perfect response.

Come on Merriam-Webster get your sh!t together! It’s actually pretty cool that it’s becoming this underground phenom.

This guy did:

Attachment 74553
    This is epic. Just epic. I love it. The whole story was worth it, just for this particular post.

So for those of us left somewhat puzzled by the ending, Tom King is a regular guest on the Word Balloon podcast, and I've no doubt he'll be on there in due course to talk about what actually the hell happened. I'll throw up a link if and when, for anyone interested.
    Well, that was a bit disappointing as far as in-depth explanations go, but if you're interested, the Mister Miracle part of the conversation begins at around the 47 minute mark:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/wordbal...mister-miracle

Well, that was a bit disappointing as far as in-depth explanations go, but if you're interested, the Mister Miracle part of the conversation begins at around the 47 minute mark:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/wordbal...mister-miracle
    I remain convinced that page 2 gives you the entire explanation of the series. I'm also convinced King won't give us the meaning (as he says in the podcast) but every bit of that page was taken from a single source.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I remain convinced that page 2 gives you the entire explanation of the series. I'm also convinced King won't give us the meaning (as he says in the podcast) but every bit of that page was taken from a single source.
    Page 2 of which issue?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I kind of love that King won't reveal what Mister Miracle was about. Sometimes art is better left in the eye of the beholder and Mister Miracle is definitely an example of this. I know loads of people will feel this is a copout but, personally, I think this is a totally valid way of doing things.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Page 2 of which issue?
    Sorry, issue 12. The shower scene.

I'm not sure the ending is that undefined. We see the page 2 Barda waking up taken frame by frame with the Dallas Bobby Ewing shower scene. How can we not see "IT WAS ALL A DREAM" is huge neon glow-in-the-dark letter after that? Scott Free is a pop-culture figure in the DC Universe and a Dallas comparison seems very fitting.

The growing list of casualties also previewed a reset button in "it was all a dream" or "the lump is doing its thing" type response. Now, I may not be as fond of an open-ended story as some and more than others, but I don't think that's the case here. Except, maybe, with the suicide attempt. Seeing Oberon and Highfather in the last issue expands the "dream sequence" far back into the first issue.

I'm sure Jacob and Roz exist in the DC Universe. Now I still need to reread this many times as it is deep and detailed. I'm putting my entire assessment of the series on one page,. But that page is swiped from one of the most famous scenes in American television. How is this NOT getting mega comments?
    Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 01-28-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I kind of love that King won't reveal what Mister Miracle was about. Sometimes art is better left in the eye of the beholder and Mister Miracle is definitely an example of this. I know loads of people will feel this is a copout but, personally, I think this is a totally valid way of doing things.
    I do not disagree.

What would be the point of laying out exactly what it was about?

Would it actually be better than what each reader has in his or her mind?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    What would be the point of laying out exactly what it was about?

Would it actually be better than what each reader has in his or her mind?
    I agree with the sentiment. This was labeled a series for Mature Readers and in some ways it was. It was deep and touched upon emotions and more than just good guys and bad guys trading punches. I think it works as an evergreen story and it would go well as a collected hardcover in the future.

But Scott and Barda will be used elsewhere in the future. Questions like "Is Scott dead and trapped in a bizarre afterlife?" and "Do Jacob and Roz Free actually exist?" will need answering. I think I've been vocal about my beliefs as to the results of the series. I'll respect other interpretations, but wonder how any support for them was gotten.

The only questions that I have and still could be left to interpretation is "Was Scott's attempted suicide part of the dream or not?" and "Is Oberon dead?" I'm leaning towards no on the latter, but the first question, maybe letting that sit could be fun.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I agree with the sentiment. This was labeled a series for Mature Readers and in some ways it was. It was deep and touched upon emotions and more than just good guys and bad guys trading punches. I think it works as an evergreen story and it would go well as a collected hardcover in the future.

But Scott and Barda will be used elsewhere in the future. Questions like "Is Scott dead and trapped in a bizarre afterlife?" and "Do Jacob and Roz Free actually exist?" will need answering. I think I've been vocal about my beliefs as to the results of the series. I'll respect other interpretations, but wonder how any support for them was gotten.

The only questions that I have and still could be left to interpretation is "Was Scott's attempted suicide part of the dream or not?" and "Is Oberon dead?" I'm leaning towards no on the latter, but the first question, maybe letting that sit could be fun.
    I doubt it will make much impact on whatever they do next with Mister Miracle and Big Barda, unless that writer wants it to. It stands perfectly as an out of continuity series or can be treated as in continuity if the need be.

I'm still clueless as to why this isn't a Black Label book and why it hasn't gotten the deluxe HC treatment. This will be like Kingdom Come or Watchmen, a standalone superhero comic that you could hand to anyone at any time to show them the potential of the superhero genre and/ or comics.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I doubt it will make much impact on whatever they do next with Mister Miracle and Big Barda, unless that writer wants it to. It stands perfectly as an out of continuity series or can be treated as in continuity if the need be.

I'm still clueless as to why this isn't a Black Label book and why it hasn't gotten the deluxe HC treatment. This will be like Kingdom Come or Watchmen, a standalone superhero comic that you could hand to anyone at any time to show them the potential of the superhero genre and/ or comics.
    There are no set answers here. That's the point! Like in Watchmen where we had the opposing attitudes of Rorschach and Veidt, here we have the opposing attitudes of Scott's home life and his life on New Genesis. We're free to believe either side is the good side and root for them. Ultimately, though, neither side ultimately wins out and life continues.

As to your Black Label observation, I don't know. Judging by early cover text, DC knew they had something great here. Most people agree with the quality of the book despite their questions about the details. I think the lack of spelling it out helped the story considerably. Granted the "I don't get it, it must be good" assessment might apply in some cases. But the folks here in this thread have gone beyond that and detailed their feelings and understanding of the book.

The book is brilliant is so many ways. As someone recently noted, just the tone of the narration boxes perfectly brought the feeling of Kirby back. And that was a minor detail. Fans in the future will read this and kick themselves for not getting this when it came out.

Astonishing Member

There are no set answers here. That's the point! Like in Watchmen where we had the opposing attitudes of Rorschach and Veidt, here we have the opposing attitudes of Scott's home life and his life on New Genesis. We're free to believe either side is the good side and root for them. Ultimately, though, neither side ultimately wins out and life continues.

As to your Black Label observation, I don't know. Judging by early cover text, DC knew they had something great here. Most people agree with the quality of the book despite their questions about the details. I think the lack of spelling it out helped the story considerably. Granted the "I don't get it, it must be good" assessment might apply in some cases. But the folks here in this thread have gone beyond that and detailed their feelings and understanding of the book.

The book is brilliant is so many ways. As someone recently noted, just the tone of the narration boxes perfectly brought the feeling of Kirby back. And that was a minor detail. Fans in the future will read this and kick themselves for not getting this when it came out.
    Or they'll think back to the time they wasted on a story with no real conclusion they took 12 issues to go effectively no where

Opinions will vary