Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Darkseid is Darkseid is Darkseid is, Darkseid is, Darkseid is, Darkseid is................................................ .......... Darkseid is

I literally couldn't even focus on the story with all those obnoxious black boxes, Jesus Christ. I get it, this was supposed to be chilling, it was supposed to make you afraid of Darkseid's omniscience, like he's closing in and it all would have worked if there was an actual hint of his aura but alas he's busy doing other things in this very issue so it completely falls flat.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Out of curiosity, what turns you off about his depiction of Barda?
    I love her in her full gear. It's when she's in civvies, especially in the confrontation with Orion, that it didn't work for me. The way her mouth opened was incredibly strange. And then her chin in the segment of the same scene where Scott sees that she has brown eyes is just really unconfident-looking - like it was drawn one way, then changed, so it feels unfinished. Just...that whole scene was the part that really didn't work for me, which is unfortunate, since it was the first impression we got of the series through the preview.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I am hoping for work on the level of Tom King's Vision story. I suspect it may not be that good, but still... Worth getting down to the shop today for in any case.
    I'll take anything like Vision or Omega Men. There were hints of it here, but so far, it feels too much like setup for me to be strongly invested.

Also, in the final page, it looks to me like Barda's eyes are blue - anyone else see that?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Always Rakzo

Well, this was a better fit for King all right. The overwhelming and pretentious style works much more successfully considering we're talking about a more esoteric franchise like the New Gods and King goes full with his presentation skills to create a pretty unique read in terms of narrative and tone. Even the repetition is adequate in some places (Then again, at points he overuses it as usual).

Mitch Gerards was a perfect fit here and able to complement the script perfectly in terms of storytelling. King's Batman might have failed but hopefully there's better luck here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I love her in her full gear. It's when she's in civvies, especially in the confrontation with Orion, that it didn't work for me.
    Huh. For me, you had to have both to do the contrast properly.

But YMMV.

Seems like someone is messing with Mr. Miracles head. This was interesting, lots of questions and weirdness .
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-09-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Huh. For me, you had to have both to do the contrast properly.

But YMMV.
    I'm not at all against the contract between civvies and full gear - however, I don't think the execution of the civvies was very appealing.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Mighty Member

This will be nominated for an Eisner award. Mark my words. King is back. This reminds me of Vision.

The price point makes me weary to pick this up although Mister Miracle always intrigued me. Maybe I'll wait for a trade.
    Superhero shows are trash

BANNED

King's repetition has never been a problem for me but repeating the same panel cards over and over completely forced me out. I'll read it again when I'm fresh, maybe being tired I couldn't fully appreciate it fully though I did understand what King was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    King's repetition has never been a problem for me but repeating the same panel cards over and over completely forced me out. I'll read it again when I'm fresh, maybe being tired I couldn't fully appreciate it fully though I did understand what King was doing.
    That does affect the reading. To me, it felt like I was watching a TV show, and all of a sudden there was a sucking sound and pitch blackness, and the white "Darkseid is" just sat there ominously. But I can see how it might now work. (I'm also in favor of 9x9 size panels of black with white words after becoming a fan of Christopher Priest through Deathstroke. )

BANNED

Oh I like the cards on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post

Also, in the final page, it looks to me like Barda's eyes are blue - anyone else see that?
    Yep, middle bottom panel of the final page is the only time we clearly see Barda's eyes after the "I thought your eyes were blue" conversation, and they are definitely blue here.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Yep, middle bottom panel of the final page is the only time we clearly see Barda's eyes after the "I thought your eyes were blue" conversation, and they are definitely blue here.
    I thought so! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Fantastic Member

Didn't dc do something similar to the whole darkside is thing in final crises.

BANNED

Yes, actually Morrison started it with his JLA.