Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Enjoyed this, like some people have already mentioned this is more King's forte imo,,,it reeked of Kirby and Morrison I think the repetition works in this instance especially with Darkseid. Overall very good start, nice solid art and excited to what King does with this next.

I could be wrong but it seems this has ignored the Darkseid war, which makes sense with this book going (rightly so) very much going in the Kirby direction but also strange considering DS war tied directly into rebirth.

So... He's dead right?
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    So... He's dead right?
    I think there's a real chance that he's slipping between death and life, and these adventures are somehow his mind's actions during that time. But is that too easy?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

So Darkseid is literally depression. I dig it. This comic hurt me to read because it was so personally relevant.

Suicide is sort of an escape and if you fail at it, can you be called the ultimate Escape Artist? But it's an escape from life, not from death. Scott's world is upside down. Darkseid already won and only Scott understanding his own needs and inner trauma can reverse it.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinr View Post
    Enjoyed this, like some people have already mentioned this is more King's forte imo,,,it reeked of Kirby and Morrison I think the repetition works in this instance especially with Darkseid. Overall very good start, nice solid art and excited to what King does with this next.

I could be wrong but it seems this has ignored the Darkseid war, which makes sense with this book going (rightly so) very much going in the Kirby direction but also strange considering DS war tied directly into rebirth.
    King has stressed since the initial announcement this is in continuity, so I gotta imagine he will eventually things back into darkseid war at some point.

Man...Miracle Man attempting suicide was nuts. I like the old timey feel with the caption boxes that contrast with morbid things happening in the panels.
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    So Darkseid is literally depression. I dig it. This comic hurt me to read because it was so personally relevant.

Suicide is sort of an escape and if you fail at it, can you be called the ultimate Escape Artist? But it's an escape from life, not from death. Scott's world is upside down. Darkseid already won and only Scott understanding his own needs and inner trauma can reverse it.
    Holy moly, this really opened my eyes at some of this comic. The omnipresent DARKSEID IS makes sense now. Not only does it work on a semi-literal level, with Darkseid as a being of such omniscience and malevolence that he creeps in and effects the very page itself, but on a more thematic level. As the comic goes on and Mr. Miracle slinks further down, he's more and more depressed, and more and more of the panel work is eat up by Darkseid. The two work hand in hand as well.

Suicide is a tricky thing to escape from. As you pointed out, Scott can't really be called the Ultimate Escape Artist, the God of Escape, if he can't escape from it. But on that note, suicide is a form of escape as well, and if he can't 'succeed' in it, he's failed on another level as well. He's damned either way. It's like pulling something through a hole in itself, if that makes sense.

Hmm, maybe he can he though. Scott's been referred as a cosmic Jesus Christ analogue.

That is something that Morrison toyed with in Seven Soldiers, with Shiloh rising from the grave after three days, etc. I wouldn't put it past King, especially considering his admitted Morrison influence.

Enjoyed this. As has been noted, very Morrison-esque.

Looking forward to the next issue.

I thought was interesting it going take a second read I'm not sure if the book part of main continuity or own separate thing doesn't reference Darkseid war and other stuff seem different as well like Orion and Highfather also will say that some of writing (Darksied is) seemed bit repetition.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

The art style remind me of Bill Sienkiewicz.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Holy moly, this really opened my eyes at some of this comic. The omnipresent DARKSEID IS makes sense now. Not only does it work on a semi-literal level, with Darkseid as a being of such omniscience and malevolence that he creeps in and effects the very page itself, but on a more thematic level. As the comic goes on and Mr. Miracle slinks further down, he's more and more depressed, and more and more of the panel work is eat up by Darkseid. The two work hand in hand as well.

Suicide is a tricky thing to escape from. As you pointed out, Scott can't really be called the Ultimate Escape Artist, the God of Escape, if he can't escape from it. But on that note, suicide is a form of escape as well, and if he can't 'succeed' in it, he's failed on another level as well. He's damned either way. It's like pulling something through a hole in itself, if that makes sense.
    Holy...both of you have really opened my eyes here. I already really enjoyed this but now I think I like it even more then I did already. Kudos to Mr. King.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Holy...both of you have really opened my eyes here. I already really enjoyed this but now I think I like it even more then I did already. Kudos to Mr. King.
    If you haven't, check out Scott Mccloud's book Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art. It really breaks down comics as an art form and the various tricks the medium uses to tell a story. It's dated, but still relevant.
    Superhero shows are trash

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    The art style remind me of Bill Sienkiewicz.
    I've heard that referenced - I'm not familiar enough with Sienkiewicz to tell, but the people who are saying it in my circles are pretty knowledgeable about art.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord