Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think there's a real chance that he's slipping between death and life, and these adventures are somehow his mind's actions during that time. But is that too easy?
    He definitely hasn't fully escaped death yet. I bet most of the middle issues will be his experience directly after he died.

this was really great. loved the story and the artwork fit. gonna have to read it a second time, which is something i usually don't do with recent comics.

I still don't know what, Darksied Is.... The Devil!?

I liked Orion under Azzarello's pen, I know he can be a dick, I didn't care for his tactics here...

I've grown fond of this creative team, at this point I'll buy whatever their names attached to, but honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about this issue yet. I love when Scott & Barda are on panel together, and the art is on point, but I'm not sure what Tom is trying to say here. It's still early, we got eleven more to go, but I need to re-read it a couple more times...
    #MagnetoWasRight

Man, that was completely brilliant. More convinced than ever that DC should just toss everything Rucka did during "Rebirth", and just let King start Wonder Woman from scratch.

This was mindblowing.

Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post
    I still don't know what, Darksied Is.... The Devil!?

I liked Orion under Azzarello's pen, I know he can be a dick, I didn't care for his tactics here...

I've grown fond of this creative team, at this point I'll buy whatever their names attached to, but honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about this issue yet. I love when Scott & Barda are on panel together, and the art is on point, but I'm not sure what Tom is trying to say here. It's still early, we got eleven more to go, but I need to re-read it a couple more times...
    Considering your avatar, is kinda ironic you don't get it.
    To understand the reference: Exodus, chapter3, verse 14.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Darkseid is.

That is all. That is all that need be said. Darkseid is...and thus freedom is not.

Excellent first issue.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    So Darkseid is literally depression. I dig it. This comic hurt me to read because it was so personally relevant.

Suicide is sort of an escape and if you fail at it, can you be called the ultimate Escape Artist? But it's an escape from life, not from death. Scott's world is upside down. Darkseid already won and only Scott understanding his own needs and inner trauma can reverse it.
    Seriously, thank you. I didn't see this aspect at all. It's what I like with writers like King, Morrison, Moore etc... there is so many different ways to see their (best) works
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

I loved this!
    I can't believe I'm reading a superhero comic where the thing that sets the plot in motion is the superhero attempting suicide.
    Ballsy stuff but tastefully done.

I hope this gives me as many feels as King's Vision.
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    This was mindblowing.

No!... I AM WHO I AM... (Gotchu!)

Now, how does Shadowman (avatar) relate?
    #MagnetoWasRight

With him being my favorite character I am thrilled to see Scott in a book that is getting great reviews and has good word of mouth. Overall the first issue was an excellent comic and as he pretty consistently does King did a great job of setting up the story and really creating a feeling of anticipation for what will happen next. With that being said I will admit that of all the directions I would have imagined for a Mr. Miracle book this is not really one of them. Having the first solo book for your favorite character in long time start with a suicide attempt was a little jarring to be honest. However I can't really complain because the issue was excellent, and the creative team behind the book is great so I trust they will deliver a great story but this is most certainly a different direction to go with for scott as a character.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

A brilliant first issue. The feeling of despair and depression where palpable on every page. Which went along perfectly with Darkseid's looming presents. I've always felt that Scott was the true antithesis to Darkseid. The god of freedom, life, willpower, and love while Darkseid is the god of oppression, despair, and hate. Darkseid craves the Anti-Life Equation while Mister Miracle is the god of Life.

I'm thinking that it's no coincidence that Mister Miracle is trapped in this depression spiral where nothing seems right at the same time that Darkseid gets the Anti-Life Equation. Reminds me of Morrison's Seven Soldiers where Shilo is trapped in the Omega Sanction. The life that is death.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    This was mindblowing.

It's a bit more than this. The full quote is in JLA #14 from back in Morrison's run, and is part of Glorious Godrey's propagandistic speeches. Godfrey asks the crowd several questions, culminating in "WHO IS YOUR NEW GOD?!". Darkseid is, is of course, the answer to all of them. To his followers and subjects, Darkseid is the sum total of everything, the only meaning there is. I'm sure there is some biblical intent- the aforementioend JLA issue incorporated some quotes alluding to Islamic folklore, so religion was on Morrison's mind- but it's not just that.

Another thought: King has said this mini is going to deal with what it means to be a New God. The first issue thus raises a question: What does death mean to a God?

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I really loved this.

First: heavy stuff!

Second: The balance between humanizing the Fourth World characters and still presenting them as archetypes of our time is a hard one. If I go for this issue alone, I'd say King managed better than anyone since Kirby. (I love Morrison's work with these guys, but he did go heavy in the "archetype" portion. As he does with almost everything, anyway).

Orion and Barda confrontation seems particularly adequate, here; Orion being this guy who believes he has the weight of the world on his shoulders, and complaining about everyone else being soft, but is actually a child of privilege. He's the unknowing internet troll, the guy that believes depression can be overcome but toughening up. But he doesn't really has the feeling of inadequacy that everyone who really had it rough has; he's incapable of understanding because his issues are self-created.

Scott's apathy toward Orion and Highfather, his trust in Barda, and his despair toward Oberon were 3 things that stroke me hard: so little dialog, yet so powerful.

Damn, this was a good comic!
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I really loved this.

First: heavy stuff!

Second: The balance between humanizing the Fourth World characters and still presenting them as archetypes of our time is a hard one. If I go for this issue alone, I'd say King managed better than anyone since Kirby. (I love Morrison's work with these guys, but he did go heavy in the "archetype" portion. As he does with almost everything, anyway).

Orion and Barda confrontation seems particularly adequate, here; Orion being this guy who believes he has the weight of the world on his shoulders, and complaining about everyone else being soft, but is actually a child of privilege. He's the unknowing internet troll, the guy that believes depression can be overcome but toughening up. But he doesn't really has the feeling of inadequacy that everyone who really had it rough has; he's incapable of understanding because his issues are self-created.

Scott's apathy toward Orion and Highfather, his trust in Barda, and his despair toward Oberon were 3 things that stroke me hard: so little dialog, yet so powerful.

Damn, this was a good comic!
    Very well said. Yet another angle that I didn't think of. Orion is a person without empathy. Sadly there are far too many people like this in our world.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Very well said. Yet another angle that I didn't think of. Orion is a person without empathy. Sadly there are far too many people like this in our world.
    Kirby's New Gods were brilliant in how they were made of of basic ideas and emotions, yet they showed incredible range and interacted in such complex ways.