View Poll Results: What grade would you give this issue?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 out of 5 [A+/A]

3 13.64%
  • 4 out of 5 [A-/B+]

9 40.91%
  • 3 out of 5 [B/B-/C+/C]

8 36.36%
  • 2 out of 5 [C-/D+]

1 4.55%
  • 1 out of 5 [D/D-/F]

1 4.55%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

REVIEW: Thor & Loki: the Tenth Realm #1 [SPOILERS]

Thor & Loki: the Tenth Realm #1
    writers. Al Ewing & Jason Aaron
    artists. Lee Garbett & Simone Bianchi

spoilers:
    Upon discovering he has a sister, Thor confronts the All Mother, learning there is a "ten realm" that Odin sealed away long ago after the Queen of the Angels (already LOVE this concept as a race) murdered their infant daughter in front of Freyja and Odin. Believeing his sister to still be alive, Thor enlists PresentDayLoki to help him "break in" to the 10th realm. Meanwhile the All Mothers confront FutureLoki who tells them the first page of the future begins now...
    end of spoilers

Cover: Loki looks a little too ripped in this image, but Freyja's face is perfect considering what we learn in the issue.

OVERALL
    Generally I dislike a shift in artist, but I love the idea all moments in the 10th realm are drawn by Bianchi and everything in the "normal" worlds by Garbett. I love Ewing's Loki, he's so wonderful. I'm not sure Thor was supposed to come off as a so... silly in his speeches/comments. A good, solid start to this mini-event. Already liking the idea of Thor & Loki's sister.
    ~ rating: 4 out of 5 [grade: A-]

Copy/pasted from another thread:

I was disappointed in this issue (Thor & Loki: Original Sin #1, or whatever the thing is called). It was much less fun and creative than Ewing's typical Loki: AOA work, and I didn't really feel that invested in the plot. The double-page spread of Bianchi's work looked really nice but I think there is a good chance I will skip the remainder of this miniseries and just jump back on Loki: AOA when that returns.

I would probably go with a 3/5 for the poll. The issue was not bad, but was just totally missing the standard Ewing Loki spark.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

I liked this issue. Worked as a good set up to the conflict.

spoilers:
    Future Loki sure threw a wrench into things by setting Angela in motion to find them.
    end of spoilers

Can't wait for the fireworks!

So Angels are from the 10th realm in Norse mythology and Angela got out because of the Infinty thing is that right(?), cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    So Angels are from the 10th realm in Norse mythology and Angela got out because of the Infinty thing is that right(?), cool.
    No she got out due to the fallout from Age of Ultron and the breaking of the space time continuum.

BANNED

So when will see our god Yahweh? He's send his angels to destroy the demon Asgardians.

When was she born in relation to the others? Because didn't Odin have Thor before he had his Frigga/Freyja kids?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    So when will see our god Yahweh? He's send his angels to destroy the demon Asgardians.
    You know what I can't figure out: Why Lucifer never shows up when Earth is invaded. I mean, Earth is supposed to be his stronghold and he seems okay with letting it get overrun by every galactic menace around? It seems like everyone should be saying "we won't worry about the invaders. Let the devil deal with it."

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

What is it with Asgard and bands of warrior women? Valkyries, Disir, now Angels? They all gave Odin and/or Bor a headache, the Valkyries less so.

I like the otherwordliness Bianchi gave to the Tenth Realm.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I still have the Angela Mini Series that explains her origin which was the merging of the souls of different women tormented through different time periods. Now she's the sister of Thor and Loki? No matter how much Marvel tries to sell the idea, I can't buy it.

I purchased the issue for Thor and Loki.

I wasn't a fan. Liked the cast, not the ideas

BANNED

Excellent with this much negativity surrounding her I'm hopeful she's off to Limbo hanging out with the Malibu characters. In truth I'm rather disappointed she needs to be part of a preexisting Marvel family she now seems more of a fan fic creation than with her own identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monster View Post
    You know what I can't figure out: Why Lucifer never shows up when Earth is invaded. I mean, Earth is supposed to be his stronghold and he seems okay with letting it get overrun by every galactic menace around? It seems like everyone should be saying "we won't worry about the invaders. Let the devil deal with it."
    The devil is an abstract concept. All demons are. By their very nature you can't depend upon them. For example, Dormammu wouldn't give a hoot if the Earth dimension was destroyed, because he just collects dimensions. If one disappears, he just goes on to the next one.
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-09-2014 at 05:56 PM.

I came into this for Angela. Im glad we learned a bit about her origin, but Im more interested in the tenth realm itself, how Andrif became Angela and what all this craziness about nothing of nothing is all about. Also, how was Odin able to erase all records about the tenth realm. Thor has been alive this long without even hearing a myth, legend, or rumor about it?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    I came into this for Angela. Im glad we learned a bit about her origin, but Im more interested in the tenth realm itself, how Andrif became Angela and what all this craziness about nothing of nothing is all about. Also, how was Odin able to erase all records about the tenth realm. Thor has been alive this long without even hearing a myth, legend, or rumor about it?
    Odin could have easily had all records of the 10th realm struck from the records and with no
    physical way to get there, how would anyone from Thor's era know of its existence?

He has mindwiped the entire population of Asgard before (when the Celestials came and beat them all up-Odin made them forget any of it happened) so its not hard to imagine Odin doing it again.

Maybe the Norn and Hela would have avoided being mindwiped, but they wouldn't give out info
    to the Asgardians either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Odin could have easily had all records of the 10th realm struck from the records and with no
    physical way to get there, how would anyone from Thor's era know of its existence?

He has mindwiped the entire population of Asgard before (when the Celestials came and beat them all up-Odin made them forget any of it happened) so its not hard to imagine Odin doing it again.

Maybe the Norn and Hela would have avoided being mindwiped, but they wouldn't give out info
    to the Asgardians either.

Well that makes sense. I am not a regular Thor reader so good to know.