Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Aegis View Post
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm going to pick up one of the trades to read through and see how I like the flow of story and characterization.
    Good luck. I hope you find it easer to read than I do.

Does anyone know the reading for marvel unlimted ? Like where the issues of balder the brave fall?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

You mean where did he die? #275 from Roy Thomas's run.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    You mean where did he die? #275 from Roy Thomas's run.
    I think he's talking about the Balder mini that spun off from Simonson's run.

The Simonson run is (along with the Lee/Kirby work and the Dan Jurgens' run) the gold standard for Thor stories. If you enjoy the character you'll have fun reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Aegis View Post
    I have not read much of Simonson's Thor, I know it's supposed to be the standard to compare all other Thor stories to, but I have been worried it reads like 80's comics and doesn't hold up in its storytelling. I've seen the art and I know that's fantastic, but I wanted to know does the story hold up? Is it something that you can still enjoy reading today, or does it read as a piece of work from a certain period of time and it's fun, but not the same now a day?

Please let me know your thoughts.
    Believe me it holds up very well. I enjoy reading it and each time I get the same thrills. And I read it when it actually first came out those many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_fury View Post
    Does anyone know the reading for marvel unlimted ? Like where the issues of balder the brave fall?
    I believe the Balder the Brave series takes place after Thor vol 1 #353

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think he's talking about the Balder mini that spun off from Simonson's run.
    Ah, I was thinking of when Balder the Brave fell (i.e., kinda died).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_fury View Post
    The omnibus reading order is: Thor 360, Balder 1, Thor 361, Thor 362 then Balder 2, 3 and 4.

It aged like I imagine Asgardian wine would age. I wonder if Thor has ever gifted Tony a bottle.

Everything from the art to the lettering--seriously--is perfect. About the only thing that takes me out of it when I re-read the run is the thought bubbles.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Bill, Frog, Skurge, "For Myself", the Hercules cover, the Ancient Winters "cross-over". This run holds up wonderfully and does an incredible job of mixing the super-hero and Asgardian Thors. Even the original Secret Wars tie-in was tongue-in-cheek because of its mistiming. It was a product of my time, but I can't imagine anyone who likes Thor not liking this run.

Read Walt Simonson's Ragnarok from IDW.

I read Thor 362 as a child not having read a Thor comic and knowing nothing about the characters (well, I knew a bit about the myths, but I had no idea who this guy Skurge with the strange haircut was, for example ). It created an immediate impression, beyond any other comics I read at that time.

So perhaps I'm biased by childhood memories, but bear in mind I was only able to read one or two issues which the local newsagents happened to have on their shelves and was completely unfamiliar with the rest of the run. I returned to Simonson's run a few years ago and for the first time read it in its entirety. I thought it brilliant, and it had lost nothing in the interval. That's not always true of comics from the 80s, but Simonson's work was undimmed.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 05-17-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Bill, Frog, Skurge, "For Myself", the Hercules cover, the Ancient Winters "cross-over". This run holds up wonderfully and does an incredible job of mixing the super-hero and Asgardian Thors. Even the original Secret Wars tie-in was tongue-in-cheek because of its mistiming. It was a product of my time, but I can't imagine anyone who likes Thor not liking this run.

Read Walt Simonson's Ragnarok from IDW.
    I love his Ragnarok series. It is like the spiritual sequel to his Marvel Thor run.

Thanks guys

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    It aged like I imagine Asgardian wine would age. I wonder if Thor has ever gifted Tony a bottle.

Everything from the art to the lettering--seriously--is perfect. About the only thing that takes me out of it when I re-read the run is the thought bubbles.
    Oh by the Bristling Beard of Odin! How I miss thought bubbles!
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor