Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Pretty much all superhero stories have strong elements of science fiction and/or fantasy, to justify how superpowers and super-advanced technologies exist in the first place. Spider-Man has lots of sci-fi elements that factor into his powers, the technology he builds and/or uses, the villains he faces, his allies in the scientific and superhero communities (which sometimes overlap), etc. He's not "aliens and space" sci-fi, though, he's more what I would call "urban sci-fi," in that his stories take place primarily on Earth and even more primarily in New York City, one of the biggest and most prominent cities in the world, and focus largely on the effects his existence, abilities, and how he uses them have on himself and the people around him.
    True, but I personally don't find him visiting another universe or say, Savage Land for some reason during a story arc a total deal killer for me. That goes back to how I feel about Spider-Man Unlimited, I would have preferred it as a type of story arc or story setting that could be used from time to time, provided that he is normally on 616 Earth.

As bad as SMU was, I'd still take it any day over USM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    True, but I personally don't find him visiting another universe or say, Savage Land for some reason during a story arc a total deal killer for me. That goes back to how I feel about Spider-Man Unlimited, I would have preferred it as a type of story arc or story setting that could be used from time to time, provided that he is normally on 616 Earth.
    The funny thing is that they had scripts completed for what could have been the first half of a second season, and if the series hadn't been canceled, it'd have seen Spider-Man return to Earth with John Jameson (and likely Venom and Carnage), though I'd guess the High Evolutionary would follow them to exact revenge for being deposed as ruler of Counter-Earth.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

My biggest gripe with SMU was with how Venom and Carnage were portrayed.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    My biggest gripe with SMU was with how Venom and Carnage were portrayed.
    One Is The Loneliest Number was a pretty good episode, but it just ended with Venom reverting to villainy and teaming up with Carnage again; why had they even decided to work together in the first place? The only seemingly logical answer than I can come up with is that the symbiotes had utterly consumed the personalities of their hosts. And I really hated those bone things sticking out of their bodies.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

I liked this show enough to determine it's better than being on this list.
    Wait, no liked it not a gauge to measure quality. I think it's understandable and fairly good enough to be away from this list, and that's decent, I just wish we had a few more episodes to cover for the cliffhanger.

Seasons 2 & 3 of the 60s Spider-Man cartoon on the other hand... *hurl*
    Green skinned villains, far more stock footage than season 1 has, misogynist Spider-Man (in the episode of the city suspended in the sky he literally said this "She's just a girl, there are more where she came from"), green skinned Mysterio, unnecessary ugly redesign of characters (i.e; Jonah Jameson), vomit like yellow and green sky, horrid stories, ugly new tracks, 1 minute of stock footage for a trip that requires a few steps only..... and the list goes on and on and on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'll say this...Rino Romano was a solid Spidey, and a more natural fit for the Web-Slinger then he ever was as Batman.
    I loved him as Batman, but he certainly was more natural as Spidey.
    That is one voice actor I will remember fondly for voicing the two biggest comicbook superheroes, and I loved his work for both.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    As bad as SMU was, I'd still take it any day over USM.
    I love USM. I can see why some don't, especially if they only watched a few of the early episodes but I think it evolved into one of the most enjoyable animated incarnations of Spidey.

As for SMU, I haven't watched it since it first came on but at the time it struck me as being hideously awful on every level. I liked the concept but the execution, no.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I love USM. I can see why some don't, especially if they only watched a few of the early episodes but I think it evolved into one of the most enjoyable animated incarnations of Spidey.
    Yeah, it improved significantly after a while, and I actually prefer their Spider-Verse storylines to the actual comic storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

As for SMU, I haven't watched it since it first came on but at the time it struck me as being hideously awful on every level. I liked the concept but the execution, no.
    Or early seasons .

I'd say USM became enjoyable and solid in it's own right later in it's own run, though I hesitate to say it's one of the "most enjoyable" animated adaptions of Spider-Man nor the best given how much of the classic Spidey trappings and elements it foregoes, but it definitely became a much better cartoon overtime.

Of course, it also had the benefit of a longer episode-count then any other Spidey cartoon, which probably helped a lot.