Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unlimited isn't awful, just unusual. doesn't deserve to be on a worst list. Ultimate Spider-Man... now that deserves to be on a worst list.

Really, it didn't much feel like Spider-man at all. The cast, the characters, the setting, all of that was changed. All we had was Peter and he didn't even look the same.

I watched an episode or two, but it didn't do anything that made me want to come back to it.

I'll say this...Rino Romano was a solid Spidey, and a more natural fit for the Web-Slinger then he ever was as Batman.

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'll say this...Rino Romano was a solid Spidey, and a more natural fit for the Web-Slinger then he ever was as Batman.
    I actually liked his portrayal of Bruce/Batman, but to each his own. My only problem with that show were the ears on the cowl.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    http://www.newsarama.com/15445-10-wo...-all-time.html

I remember there was a Channel 5 documentary on the 2002 Spider-Man movie years back and they also had choice words for this show at the time, "Spider-Man Unlimited was not a success because of it's confusing plotlines"

Still, I recall being very hyped for it back then. I got the Wizard preview issue and most of the issues of the adaptation, which swiftly begun telling original stories (including appearances from Gwen Stacy and a bestial Wolverine)

We'd eventually see the Unlimited Spidey being killed off in a Spider-Verse cameo.

What do we think of it now? I quite liked the role John Jameson played in the show, it was different and refreshing to see a Jameson and a Spider-Man on the same side but occasionally still clashing, either due to one thinking they were a bit more right, or through John's past as Man-Wolf catching up to him.
    The casting for Spider-Man was good because it got him a role in the PS1 video game where he was possibly the best Spider-Man VA of all time. Jennifer Hale also did great in her very brief role as Mary Jane in the show. the flashback sequences to the Alien Costume Saga and the brief scene of black suit Spider-Man looked good.

Other than that the show was a waste of good animation and should've been the 2099 show it was intended as.

Spider-Man isn't a sci-fi, people need to learn this

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    It absolutely is. Just not that kind of sci-fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Fan#1 View Post
    I actually liked his portrayal of Bruce/Batman, but to each his own. My only problem with that show were the ears on the cowl.
    I also enjoyed him as Batman, I just also think he was a more natural fit in the role of Spider-Man by comparison, if that makes any sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It absolutely is. Just not that kind of sci-fi.
    Well, it depends how you define "Sci-Fi." I think there are definitely elements of Sci-Fi in Spider-Man, but not to the degree of other franchises or properties that are more defined by the moniker of being "Sci-Fi."

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post

Except for the part where he was bitten by a RADIOACTIVE SPIDER of course. And the web slingers. And the vast majority of his villains....

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    This would have worked far better as a story arc for Spider-Man than an actual animated series. Taking out a story arc for Spider-Man to do some high-fantasy adventure like visiting another universe, Savage Land, etc., is totally doable. I also will try and rewatch the series on youtube or Netflix, but basically, I had a hard time understanding why Venom and Carnage were so different, and had a "mother" on the Counter Earth called the Synoptic?
    Maybe they were transformed when they were trapped inside Dormammu's dimension. As to the Synoptic, I assumed that they were some kind of distant relative of the symbiotes. Maybe they had all once been part of one caste system where the symbiotes had ruled.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Incredible Member

Where's MTV Spider-Man on the list?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Pretty much all superhero stories have strong elements of science fiction and/or fantasy, to justify how superpowers and super-advanced technologies exist in the first place. Spider-Man has lots of sci-fi elements that factor into his powers, the technology he builds and/or uses, the villains he faces, his allies in the scientific and superhero communities (which sometimes overlap), etc. He's not "aliens and space" sci-fi, though, he's more what I would call "urban sci-fi," in that his stories take place primarily on Earth and even more primarily in New York City, one of the biggest and most prominent cities in the world, and focus largely on the effects his existence, abilities, and how he uses them have on himself and the people around him.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Where's MTV Spider-Man on the list?
    Exactly. IMO, that's even worse than Unlimited in how it ended. Snapping India's neck and throwing her off a building.

I liked that MTV Spider-Man series that ran for thirteen episodes. It was great in that it came out a year after the first Raimi film and it allowed me to get my Spidey fix before Spider-Man 2.

Looking at it now, it hasn't aged well with that PS2, cell-shaded graphic style, and it ending after just thirteen episodes with no resolution still bothers me to this day. I've wondered for years what the hell happened behind the scenes.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Fan#1 View Post
    I liked that MTV Spider-Man series that ran for thirteen episodes. It was great in that it came out a year after the first Raimi film and it allowed me to get my Spidey fix before Spider-Man 2.

Looking at it now, it hasn't aged well with that PS2, cell-shaded graphic style, and it ending after just thirteen episodes with no resolution still bothers me to this day. I've wondered for years what the hell happened behind the scenes.
    MTV shut it down because it wasn't attracting the demographic that they wanted. At least, that was what I read.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    MTV shut it down because it wasn't attracting the demographic that they wanted. At least, that was what I read.
    Really? Damn... If that's true, then I guess I understand. I think, if anything, it's possible that a lot of people didn't feel it measured up to the classic Fox Kids iteration, or maybe it came out at the wrong time.