Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

And what's Bane's personal beef with Batman?
    It's very clear to me. He wants to punish Bruce for betraying the League of Shadows, an organization he has dedicated his life too. He is also bitter about how he was exiled from the League despite his dedication while Bruce was given a position as heir and rejected it

his entire mission is based on a relationship that exists almost entirely off-screen.
    Not necessarily. Nothing about the reveal gave off the impression that he's doing it all for Talia.

Bane reading Gordon's letter as if people were just supposed to believe him was odd and had no power.
    Bane did that to strike at the heart of Gotham's morale and rally the prisoners of Blackgate to his side. It doesn't matter if anyone actually believed him because no one was going to stand up and refute him to his face.

he's from Santa Prisca.
    I.E a country that doesn't actually exist. I never said that wasn't a part of Bane but it's certainly not the most important part

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    It feels like Bane goes after Bruce for Talia because he was her protector, now does her bidding. Which is weird since Talia plays nice at first (slow knife) then sleeps with Bruce who murdered (in her eyes) her father.
    But that's never flat out stated in the actual movie.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Joker is the best Nolanverse villain. Bane though is the best part of Rises, a movie that otherwise totally sucks and sucks even with Hardy's Bane.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

a movie that otherwise totally sucks and sucks even with Hardy's Bane.
    TDKR may not have reached the unattainable standard many think a sequel to TDK should have had but it's pretty far and away from actually being a bad movie.

It's still loads better than most MCU movies, Most of the X-Men movies, all previous Burton/Schumacher movies, all but one of the Spider-Man movies and all DCEU movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    It's still loads better than most MCU movies, Most of the X-Men movies, all previous Burton/Schumacher movies, all but one of the Spider-Man movies and all DCEU movies.
    I'm a huge lopsided DC fan, but Winter Solider is significantly better than all DC films except Mask of the Phantasm IMHO.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I'm a huge lopsided DC fan, but Winter Solider is significantly better than all DC films except Mask of the Phantasm IMHO.
    As much as I like Winter Soldier, it still doesn't have a patch on the Dark Knight. I personally prefer it to Mask of the Phantasm as well, which I find a tad overrated.

While not necessarily better, I don't think the other two Nolan movies are that far below Winter Soldier either.

t still doesn't have a patch on the Dark Knight.
    Dark Knight is too long (one act too long). And Nolan's movies are too cold (which sort of makes sense since he's a Kubrick fan). Bloated and poorly paced. Ledger's Joker...so amazing though, and I'm a Joker purist and kinda hated Ledger before TDK.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-17-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Dark Knight is too long (one act too long). And Nolan's movies are too cold (which sort of makes sense since he's a Kubrick fan). Bloated and poorly paced. Ledger's Joker...so amazing though, and I'm a Joker purist and kinda hated Ledger before TDK.
    I don't agree with any of this, especially about it being poorly paced or bloated. Back to back, I just think TDK tells a more compelling story than Winter Soldier's and I appreciate the shades of grey it brings to bear in how Batman and our protagonists handle the situation with the Joker while Winter Soldier firmly sides with Cap on the whole Freedom vs Security debate.

I'm also a big villain guy and it goes without saying that Ledgers Joker is vastly superior to Pierce.

I don't agree with any of this,
    Yea, we'll have to agree to disagree. The suspense and thriller nature of Winder Soldier wins out, sadly IMHO.

Yea, we'll have to agree to disagree. The suspense and thriller nature of Winder Soldier wins out, sadly IMHO.
    I find The Dark Knight way more suspenseful than anything in Winter Soldier, especially the climax with the boats. That was without a doubt superior to Winter Soldier's typical everything explodes MCU finale.

All-New Member

I was really excited for Tom Hardy as Bane but I wasn't a big fan of the movie. Also I hate the way they killed him, blew him away like he was nothing. Very anti-climactic.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

It's very clear to me. He wants to punish Bruce for betraying the League of Shadows, an organization he has dedicated his life too. He is also bitter about how he was exiled from the League despite his dedication while Bruce was given a position as heir and rejected it
    It's just not fleshed out enough to my liking. I never get the sense that he's bitter from exile or particularly offended by Bruce's actions. Almost the entirety of the movie his motivation seems to be causing havoc for the sake of it.

Not necessarily. Nothing about the reveal gave off the impression that he's doing it all for Talia.
    It's basically all we get. I don't recall any other statements developing his motivations.

Bane did that to strike at the heart of Gotham's morale and rally the prisoners of Blackgate to his side. It doesn't matter if anyone actually believed him because no one was going to stand up and refute him to his face.
    The prisoners were already going to be on his side after he broke them out, the scene was clearly supposed to impact the viewer, home Gotham audiences, and Blake and Gordon because they reacted an spoke on it. But it doesn't make much sense for anyone to react to it as its such a strange ineffectual "revelation".

"Look at this piece of paper I found that Gordon supposedly wrote, revealing this thing I can't prove! Gotham is blaaargh!"

I.E a country that doesn't actually exist. I never said that wasn't a part of Bane but it's certainly not the most important part
    I never stated it was the most important part of his character, so not sure why you're bringing that up at all. It's a part of his character in the comics and he's not simply depicted as a non-Latin Caucasian, as you stated. Therefore, I take issue with it on grounds of inaccuracy and further marginalizing precarious minority roles.

I never get the sense that he's bitter from exile or particularly offended by Bruce's actions.
    The whole "You betrayed us", "I am the League of Shadows" "I'm here to fulfill Ras Al Ghul's destiny" made it pretty explicitly clear at least to me personally.

I don't recall any other statements developing his motivations.
    I don't recall either of the characters explicitly saying "He was doing it all for Talia".

"Look at this piece of paper I found that Gordon supposedly wrote, revealing this thing I can't prove!
    So you actually expected ordinary people to stand up to a mercenary and his army of fanatical armed followers and say "Why should we believe you, You have no proof"

I take issue with it on grounds of inaccuracy and further marginalizing precarious minority roles.
    No offense but that's just silly. Getting a great actor to play the part is much more important than lining them up exactly with how they were in the source material.

Spectacular Member

Bane was good; he actually physically broke Batman, but Joker toyed with him psychologically, and I think overall TDK was better than TDKR. Had it had Heath Ledger's Joker in it, though, it probably would have been a lot more interesting, especially since they were going to take us inside of Joker's head and introduce us to his twisted moral code.

Heath Ledger's Joker was good, but he reminded me a bit of Beetlejuice with all of that makeup. I like that they kind of left the storyline ambiguous. You could interpret this Joker as a hero or a villain, depending on what the endgame was. That was an example of Joker acting done well. You actually CAN mess up a Joker performance, even though he is a very versitile character and works with a variety of interpretations.

Of course, Bane has been used in the comics to present us with some interesting story arcs, like in Batman Europa, where Bane poisons both Batman and the Joker and they have to rely on each other to find thier common enemy and get out of Europe alive.
    Last edited by kcomics; 05-20-2017 at 01:08 PM.

I loved it. My favorite film in the trilogy. Its the only movie I've ever in my life seen twice in the theater.

Bane was amazing. I don't think the voice is even silly. It's haunting. I think his motivations are clearer than Talia/Miranda's. She would be the weak spot in the movie. It was a dope ass twist I didn't see coming initially, but not much more.

The bomb scene made me cry. Facts. A 28 year old man wiping tears away at the thought of Batman dying.

I love that they gave him a happy ending finally...
    Last edited by SicariiDC; 05-21-2017 at 03:21 AM.
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont