Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Well he was my favorite villain in this trilogy but at the same time I admit to having a man crush on Hardy and a preference for Bane over Joker even in the comics anyway.

Spectacular Member

Joker was hard to like at first. What got me interested were the Joker and Batman team-ups. Those two work surprisingly well together! Bane isn't all brawn, though, and has actually used the duality between the Joker and Batman to his advantage, which is a surprisingly creative move for a guy who you would think would just be interested in crushing his opponent physically.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kcomics View Post
    Joker was hard to like at first. What got me interested were the Joker and Batman team-ups. Those two work surprisingly well together! Bane isn't all brawn, though, and has actually used the duality between the Joker and Batman to his advantage, which is a surprisingly creative move for a guy who you would think would just be interested in crushing his opponent physically.
    You're referring to Europa right? wish Bane was more fleshed out there but his tactical prowess was on full display in that book.

Spectacular Member

Yep, Batman Europa. Those are my favorite kinds of comics, the ones with the totally unexpected twists. Nothing is more surprisingly satisfying than a Joker / Batman team-up against a common foe, provided Joker and Batman are well-written. There should be a whole series with those two working together. It helps shine a spotlight on the lesser known villains. Bane looked truly formidable in that story, whereas in other stories he just looks like a muscle-bound lug.
    Last edited by kcomics; 05-21-2017 at 07:21 AM.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I could tell the Nolans wanted an ending to their Dark Knight trilogy. Remember, they didn't want to come back after TDK and Ledger's passing. So, when they finally decided to finish it out, they wanted to make sure it was decent enough and a passable conclusion, since they couldn't use The Joker again.

Decent enough and passable is what best fits The Dark Knight Rises, compared to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Bane was good, he was badass. He had both the mental edge and physical edge equal/over Batman/Bruce as is generally the case with Bane. The breaking was the best part of the movie, I thought. We had finally seen an older Bruce taken down and finally succumb to a force greater than him. My biggest problems with the movie is I don't feel Bruce/Batman was treated with enough screen time. It's like this large movie that focuses on all of the other characters. Not to mention much of the screen time we see is Bruce repairing himself in the prison. The ending fight is anti-climactic; they should have had Batman come gliding in from The Bat, instead of just walking through the chaos. Bane's "death" was also silly and I know a lot of people in the audience (I went opening night, so the theater was full) were all like "that was his death/ending?"

Tom Hardy was solid enough for this rendition of Bane. However, I don't want to see that rendition again. I want a Hispanic/Latino Bane, the REAL Bane next time on screen (just because I love Bane and want to see him treated "correctly"). I actually ranked Bane over The Joker at first, but after re-watching a few times, Ledger's Joker remains probably my favorite villain in all of superhero/comic movies.

How I would rank them, movie and villain order:

The Dark Knight
    Batman Begins
    The Dark Knight Rises

Joker
    Bane
    Scarecrow
    Two-Face
    Tied: Falcone, Maroni, Talia, Ra's

And yes, no matter what anyone says, The Dark Knight trilogy is one of the absolute best superhero/comic movie series of all time.
    Last edited by Wandering_Wand; 05-25-2017 at 06:07 AM.

BANNED

i think it is safe to say that Ral was the most compelling villain of the 3,

my problem with bane was his demise in the hands of catwoman.

ledger joker's was given too much power in TDK.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    The whole "You betrayed us", "I am the League of Shadows" "I'm here to fulfill Ras Al Ghul's destiny" made it pretty explicitly clear at least to me personally.
    Show, don't tell. He never expresses any emotion of betrayal, and "I am the League of Shadows" isn't really a motivation. Bane shows up already villainous and we have no real reason to sympathize with his goal. He wasn't developed.

I don't recall either of the characters explicitly saying "He was doing it all for Talia".
    Why would they have to? This situation is the opposite application of "show, don't tell". It's the most popular interpretation of the revelation. It's the only time he shows affection towards anyone. That moment defines Bane more than any other because it shows him having some sort of meaningful past and attachment to anything.

So you actually expected ordinary people to stand up to a mercenary and his army of fanatical armed followers and say "Why should we believe you, You have no proof"
    No, but it's not convincing in any way, and thus useless as a plot point.

No offense but that's just silly. Getting a great actor to play the part is much more important than lining them up exactly with how they were in the source material.
    Acting like the two things are mutually exclusive is exactly why so many characters are whitewashed. Terrible mentality. DC has so few Latino characters to begin with and they're underrepresented in every way. Bane is Latin. It's not "essential" to his character (because no character should be reduced to their ethnicity), but ignoring it is a sour aspect of an already diminished characterization. If you think whitewashing minority characters isn't a bad trend, then I don't really care for your perspective, no offense.
    Last edited by Lightning Rider; 05-22-2017 at 12:17 AM.

Christopher Nolan ruined Bane, not Tom Hardy.

Everyone heard that right? Look, Tom Hardy is a compelling actor and the Dark Knight Trilogy as a whole was great, but I simply can't get over Bane's background. OBVIOUSLY the comic origin was distanced (and yes, I know what adaptation means), but Bane wasn't even Bane. For example, If you took off the Mask and NEVER heard the name 'Bane' throughout the film (just imagine it was bleeped out) would you even truly piece together it was Bane? No. you would automatically assume (after finishing the movie) that this was some elite general/henchman of the League of Shadows.

I mean come on, Santa Prisca was never a thing. Venom was never (really) a thing. His Hispanic origin was never a thing. The ONLY thing that would have given Bane's identity away was when you found out Batman's 'back was broken' (3/4 of the way through the movie) - then you could have possibly been like "oh snap, i get it. Broken back - Knightfall - this must be Bane".

So with that being said, if you took the makeup and scars off Heath Ledge and bleeped 'joker' out of TDK, you'd still easily be able to tell it was a portrayal of The Joker. Same with Scarecrow (i.e. psychiatrist, fear toxin etc.). I thought Tom Hardy's 'character' was entertaining enough, but it just wasn't 'Bane'.
    Last edited by thefiresky; 05-22-2017 at 01:41 AM.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Well he was my favorite villain in this trilogy but at the same time I admit to having a man crush on Hardy and a preference for Bane over Joker even in the comics anyway.
    Lol, I have a mega Man crush on Christian Bale!! No shame brotha!!!
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Spectacular Member Fearless Heart's Avatar

I'm not sure who my favorite villain was. It might be Bane simply because I love Tom Hardy. Scarecrow was really good though. I definitely need to take his advice about "lightening up". Those movies have so many awesome quotes.

I was really disappointed in Bane's portrayal when I first saw the movie. I'm all for change, but I thought the source material was way better. Vengeance of Bane is my favorite comic book origin and favorite comic book issue, so not only did I have massive expectations on that end, but Bronson had me really hyped. I don't think what I wanted from Bane would be allowed in a PG-13 movie though.

I loved the movie though! Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises are my favorite superhero movies along with Logan. I don't generally don't like re-watching superhero movies, but I can watch them anytime!

Quote Originally Posted by SicariiDC View Post
    I have one for both of them. They're both my favorite actors working today, and Batman, Bane, and Venom are a few of my favorite fictional characters, so I really lucked out!
    Last edited by Fearless Heart; 05-22-2017 at 08:29 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SicariiDC View Post
    Love Bale too, he's hot.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I just have a mancrush on Jake Gyllenhall but I watched Brokeback Mountain because of Ledgers Joker. It' s just a great movie if you like the story or not. Everybody who hasn't seen a movie that resonates with them or is emontional satisfying: Brokeback Mountain. For Hardy I'd pick Warrior or Revenant and for Bale Prestige or Knight of Cups.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 05-23-2017 at 02:21 AM.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Problem is after the Talia reveal they shifted the focus so drastically that it under-mined Bane as a character and everything he did prior to the point and then he got blown away by Catwoman like it was nothing, compare Bane's death to Ra's and Joker's capture. But the script in the final act also leaned itself better to Bane unfortunately Nolan decided to change, for example the second fight was LOT MORE brutal and not this small scuff it ended up being, it always bothered me how Bane went from this cold hard traction to this rah I am a monster beat me up in the second fight plus we got an elongated flash back to Bane in the pit which would have added more compassion to Bane in that scene.

Hardy played Bane expertly, and he was great villain up until Bruce came back then as a villain he nose dived.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Christopher Nolan ruined Bane
    The Animated Series and the Arkham games beat him to it.

Catwoman is my all time favorite comic book character. So by default Catwoman is my favorite Nolan-verse character. Extra points for Catwoman blowing Bane away
    with a rocket from the Bat-cycle. I did not see that coming at all.