Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Thread Drift: Fans, Professionals and Online Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Hey,

Wish I could recommend something, but I can't. Podcasts are great for when you're on a walk, driving around, or falling asleep though.

Dan, don't focus so much on the negative, is my unsolicited advice. I don't know what it's like to be in your shoes, so maybe I'm speaking out of turn, but I'd focus on the positive reception.

Okay, easier said than done.
    absolutely.

there's a reason why morrison and waid came up with the concept for irredeemable and why many writers completely refuse to read or engage online opinion (i think dan abnett is one of them).
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    absolutely.

there's a reason why morrison and waid came up with the concept for irredeemable and why many writers completely refuse to read or engage online opinion (i think dan abnett is one of them).
    If he did, that would make Dan Abnett even more of a smart writer then I though (and I already thought he was pretty smart) .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If he did, that would make Dan Abnett even more of a smart writer then I though (and I already thought he was pretty smart) .
    well, it's not about smart but about how well you feel you can manage your own feelings and responses. or if you care to in the first place
    troo fan or death

well, it's not about smart but about how well you feel you can manage your own feelings and responses. or if you care to in the first place
    Well, I think it's smart given the tendency over social media for vitriol or arguments that more often then not culminate in someone saying something they regret.

Not denying the benefits of creators communicating with fans over social media, but I can definitely see the benefits of a professional steering clear of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, I think it's smart given the tendency over social media for vitriol or arguments that more often then not culminate in someone saying something they regret.

Not denying the benefits of creators communicating with fans over social media, but I can definitely see the benefits of a professional steering clear of it.
    definitely, because it's not always fair. especially because that creator's work is somewhat personal, and having someone just imply that your work (and by extension you) supports racism or rape or whatever other passive aggressive slander, would get harder and harder over time to take in good nature.

some creators are better at navigating those minefields publicly (but i'm sure even they take a few breathes before they hit "reply") and some get just as nasty in return.

it is a bit sad that the "closer" we get, the worse we act.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

definitely, because it's not always fair. especially because that creator's work is somewhat personal, and having someone just imply that your work (and by extension you) supports racism or rape or whatever other passive aggressive slander, would get harder and harder over time to take in good nature.

some creators are better at navigating those minefields publicly (but i'm sure even they take a few breathes before they hit "reply") and some get just as nasty in return.

it is a bit sad that the "closer" we get, the worse we act.
    All the more reason for the pro to watch what they're saying and how they phrase it, really.

People are going to be reading these interviews, parsing them, and taking bits out and discussing them. Same as its always been.

And why pretend there aren't plenty of bad actors on both the fan and pro sides?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    All the more reason for the pro to watch what they're saying and how they phrase it, really.

People are going to be reading these interviews, parsing them, and taking bits out and discussing them. Same as its always been.
    It would be impossible for any writer, artist or editor to anticipate the insane ways that fans will choose to distort and misconstrue the most innocuous comments.

That's not about discussing a creator's words and engaging with them on an honest level, it's about singling out a comment, removing it from context, twisting its meaning, making the worst assumptions about its intent, and then relentlessly haranguing the creator - only to then blame the creator for having the nerve to ever open their mouth in the first place with "It's not my fault! You should've watched what you said!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It would be impossible for any writer, artist or editor to anticipate the insane ways that fans will choose to distort and misconstrue the most innocuous comments.

That's not about discussing a creator's words and engaging with them on an honest level, it's about singling out a comment, removing it from context, twisting its meaning, making the worst assumptions about its intent, and then relentlessly haranguing the creator - only to then blame the creator for having the nerve to ever open their mouth in the first place with "It's not my fault! You should've watched what you said!"
    Eh, the opposite problem is just as true, when someone (and their apologists) becomes so insanely sensitive as to what "certain people" are saying (usually the ones deemed as the troublemakers), that everything they say becomes construed as an insult or slam. So there can't be any actual back or forth of any meaning or value anyway.

I personally think that, on this forum I've seen Mr. Slott be given unfair crap in specific contexts. So, I wouldn't blame him for feeling frustrated at that. However, conversely, I have not been impressed with how he reacts to criticism (legitimate or otherwise). Now, I think that one could make the case that the initial poster sets the tone for the conversation, but I don't see how stooping to the level of the one acting the least adult does any good for anyone.

Also, it seems like 99% of the disagreements over Slott's Spider-Man career can be traced back to his writing and creative decisions. The fact is, Slott's version of Spider-Man is, and probably always will be, controversial due to how far removed it is from the core concepts premises that make the foundation of the franchise (your mileage will vary if you think that's a good thing or if you're like me and think that it's a huge mistake). So, should Slott be treated with respect? Of course. However, I think it's only fair to expect the same from him. On top of that, to keep in mind that his version of Spider-Man is not for everyone and that one can disagree with his work (and make cases to support it) without making it personal.

To make it short. Can we all please be polite and act like the adults we are, even when discussing things we disagree with?

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    To make it short. Can we all please be polite and act like the adults we are, even when discussing things we disagree with?
    I'm down for that .

I personally think that, on this forum I've seen Mr. Slott be given unfair crap in specific contexts. So, I wouldn't blame him for feeling frustrated at that. However, conversely, I have not been impressed with how he reacts to criticism (legitimate or otherwise). Now, I think that one could make the case that the initial poster sets the tone for the conversation, but I don't see how stooping to the level of the one acting the least adult does any good for anyone.

Also, it seems like 99% of the disagreements over Slott's Spider-Man career can be traced back to his writing and creative decisions. The fact is, Slott's version of Spider-Man is, and probably always will be, controversial due to how far removed it is from the core concepts premises that make the foundation of the franchise (your mileage will vary if you think that's a good thing or if you're like me and think that it's a huge mistake). So, should Slott be treated with respect? Of course. However, I think it's only fair to expect the same from him. On top of that, to keep in mind that his version of Spider-Man is not for everyone and that one can disagree with his work (and make cases to support it) without making it personal.

I'm not gonna lie. I find the way Slott argues and tries to defend himself online to be cringeworthy as hell. Like c'mon man, be a professional and ignore the internet trolls.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I'm not gonna lie. I find the way Slott argues and tries to defend himself online to be cringeworthy as hell. Like c'mon man, be a professional and ignore the internet trolls.
    I am curious can you give a specific example? Because with one exception from a couple of years ago, which he apolizied for at the time, I dont think I have seen Slott say anything I find cringeworthy at all. What I do see a lot is various posters say he should not say stuff because of hus job as if he is some kind of elected official instead of being a writer on fictional character and every time it just seems to me that those posters are envious that apparently their job/bosses does not allow them to say anything.

BANNED

Can you give me a specific example of Slott not treating someone with respect before after they accused him of anything from condoning rape to lying about his or Marvels view? Because all the posters I see here not getting Slotts "respect" is people who have spend time attacking him. Not to mention being mad at him for where they think his story is going and then still being mad at him after it did not happen.

Astonishing Member

Also, it seems like 99% of the disagreements over Slott's Spider-Man career can be traced back to his writing and creative decisions.
    4% of it is his writing and creative decisions, 95% of it is because he's been the most prolific Spider-Man writer since One May Day happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    I am curious can you give a specific example? Because with one exception from a couple of years ago, which he apolizied for at the time, I dont think I have seen Slott say anything I find cringeworthy at all. What I do see a lot is various posters say he should not say stuff because of hus job as if he is some kind of elected official instead of being a writer on fictional character and every time it just seems to me that those posters are envious that apparently their job/bosses does not allow them to say anything.
    Just my opinion, but the way he keeps trying to defend himself from criticism on Twitter and forums just makes me cringe. To be fair, I don't like when any creator including ones I like (ie. Waid) do it. It usually comes down to petty bickering and for a professional, I find it pretty embarassing

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Not envious but I do think some of us who work in the corporate world find it very odd. I guess there's just different standards in professionalism when compared to the comic book industry where arguing and fighting with consumers is apparently common