Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Excellent issue, excellent use of S.Thing, but I have to admit the ending was a tad discordant with me (but fits with the King/Snyder conception of Batman). This does take place after The Button* and Bruce was probably unnerved by just witnessing a murder, but Bruce's reaction at the end did come off a bit as "I'm a crying baby who you need to pacify and lullaby."

Morrison said a good deal in interviews about how Bruce has studied all these exotic and sage arts and religions and you'd think Bruce would carry them with him and display more some of those disciplines, more a calm and ability for stoicism and zen, given all the wonderful different perspectives he was trained in.

As far continuity:
    *By the way, where does this issue happen in relation to the ending of Flash #22? Between its pages perhaps? Actually, it really might just take place right after. I think everything is suggesting that spoilers:
    Bruce didn't make some decision to stop being Batman right then and there at the end of Flash #22.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-17-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

I really wish I could get into King's Batman but it doesn't click with me. I didn't like the opening arc at all and dropped the book but thought I'd give this one and done a shot but ended up not caring for it. Obviously plenty of people do like King's work on this book and more power to them if they enjoy it but I'm just not digging it.

I was wondering how King would handle a classic Batman murder-mystery. Obviously it was in his own style, and with Swamp-Thing in tow (because why not?) but I think he did a surprisingly good job here. I think I've enjoyed King's one-and-done's and two-parter's more then I have his main arcs.

Batman and Swamp-Thing always play off each other surprisingly well That gag in the Batmobile was great .

I also liked how King handled the complex balance of Sawmp-Thing's more volatile and emotional human side and his more zen-like and passive "emissary of the green" status.

In-light of "The Button," where Thomas told Bruce straight to his face to stop being Batman and be happy, and Swamp-Thing throwing doubts that his parent's are at peace after their death, looks like we're seeing more and more doubt sown in Batman's mind as to his mission (again).

BANNED

Probably King`s strongest issue with the use of narrative and pacing. I wish there was more less-events type of storytelling. Not everything needs to be sold like the best thing ever. Sometimes is just better just doing it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was wondering how King would handle a classic Batman murder-mystery. Obviously it was in his own style, and with Swamp-Thing in tow (because why not?) but I think he did a surprisingly good job here. I think I've enjoyed King's one-and-done's and two-parter's more then I have his main arcs.

Batman and Swamp-Thing always play off each other surprisingly well That gag in the Batmobile was great .

I also liked how King handled the complex balance of Sawmp-Thing's more volatile and emotional human side and his more zen-like and passive "emissary of the green" status.

In-light of "The Button," where Thomas told Bruce straight to his face to stop being Batman and be happy, and Swamp-Thing throwing doubts that his parent's are at peace after their death, looks like we're seeing more and more doubt sown in Batman's mind as to his mission (again).
    Bruce's conversation with Barry seemed kind of telling of maybe his direction going forward. He talked about their interactions, the resurrections, and the possibility of a "God" being involved, and there's a real chance he's noticing not just another Crisis-type cosmic event taking shape but also noticing how like, huge timeline resets are happening for like, Barry and Wally that mostly repair their lives (like he said, it's not a coincidence, and maybe it's not a coincidence that Johns felt the need to "Batman-ify" Barry's origins, either, that Thawne was involved). I mean look at Superman, who just by being Superman (IE: RADICAL) repaired his own split timeline and erased a bunch of weird continuity, blended all the versions of himself, gets to keep his wife, has a cool son that hangs out with Batman's kid now.

In a world where those "FIXES" are happening, where hope is back and the cynicism of the 80s is being battled by the hope of the fastest man alive, and the man of tomorrow, and what-not, how tragic and horrifying is it going to be for Bruce Wayne, who doesn't get to do that, whose life is a sideshow but always has been since the early 1940s. Dick is also probably caught in this sort of effect, where everyone gets to fix their tragedies but his is rooted in the 1940s and isn't going anywhere.

So anyway, Batman characterization aside ... I liked this issue rather a lot. Really I liked the heavy emphasis on identity crisis/philosophical questions in a superhero universe full of these costumed types, and King having one Z-List character question his reality, and get some super-villain gadgetry off of another Z-List character, and just do some proper Bru-Rucka/Gotham Central style messed up murder mystery storytelling with Headhunter of all people, who I can't even recall having been used since his initial usages. I mean he's a pretty awful character, so it's really lovely to see him get this kind of grizzly old punk-90s-era sendoff in a story reminiscent of some of the best done-in-one "detective mystery" stories that Rucka/Bru, Denny, Alan Grant, and a few others really popularized.

Swampy's bipolarity was really nice, too. How he can be amicable but really can't control his emotions. The rapport with Batman was good. Alfred and Gordon were great here. The art was gorgeous. This might be King's best issue of Batman at the moment (and I really loved that Catwoman arc.)
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I was excited about this issue after seeing the preview and this issue didn't let me down. Nice pacing and dialogue. The interaction between Bruce and ST was spot on, IMO. After a slow start, the Bat books are getting better and better every month, except 'Tec which has been great from the get go.

Over in Flash:
    spoilers:
    JAY IS BACK! Or, maybe not. That was messed up DC. Got my hopes up real high to see Jay and then pulled the rug out from under me. But I know he will be back when they bring the JSA book back. It's just annoying that they didn't let Jay stay long. It's cool though that he saved Bruce and Barry
    end of spoilers
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Spectacular Member Fearless Heart's Avatar

Am I missing anything by not reading the Button? I love Flash, but I'm trying to save money.

I thought this issue was great! The art was beautiful, and the dialogue is the best it's been in a Tom King Batman book. I repetition of dialogue and repetition of art bothered me in all the previous books, but it was fantastic here. I loved the humor! It's always fantastic to see Bruce smiling. It makes me smile! And Kite-Man finally clicked with me! I'm curious how he'll tackle the humor in the upcoming Elmer Fudd crossover. I'm probably going to skip it for money reasons, but I'm even more tempted to buy it. I think it'll rock.

I relate to the gamut of emotions Bruce has had during this run, but I wasn't too hot on the ending. The run ain't done though!

Anyways, I'm been really critical of Tom King's run, but this book was sweet! If anyone is on the fence, I'd say check this one out! This was the first book I felt like I got my money's worth. This was new a few minute read like the majority of his run.
    Last edited by Fearless Heart; 05-17-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Heart View Post
    Am I missing anything by not reading the Button? I love Flash, but I'm trying to save money.
    If you love the Flash, then yes, you should be reading the Button
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Spectacular Member Fearless Heart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    If you love the Flash, then yes, you should be reading the Button
    I love pretty much every character as long as the writing is great! Unfortunately, I don't have the money for everything. Based on user comments, it seems like I'm okay. I'm really happy it's good though!

BANNED

The Brave and the Mold. Hah. Love the name of the story title and while Im waiting until June to do alot of catch up on comic books,

CBR"s preview screenshots for Batman 23 and other comics, I think its looking great so far. Swamp Thing just popping up from behind batman and Gordon. Hehe.

I really liked this one.

Mighty Member

Really did not expect to see Headhunter pop up in comics again, especially now.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Really did not expect to see Headhunter pop up in comics again, especially now.
    I didn't expect 90's Headhunter (from Batman #487) specifically, but I guess I did expect more "classic" characters to be mined in this Rebirth era. Tom King loves the past, and I LOVE that he loves Batman history.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

So I will throw this out here, instead of its own thread, I'm hearing King is off Batman after jokes and riddles,

He himself says he's not comfortable writing Batman, and honestly it shows.

His run has been ....off, let's just say.

Take this issue, so far you guys have been positive, while a good- one shot, this did not feel like a BAtman comic.

I just read it, found it interesting I guess, and then afterwords. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    So I will throw this out here, instead of its own thread, I'm hearing King is off Batman after jokes and riddles,
    For such a claim as this, you would need to somewhat source this. Sounds ridiculous to me and King's support is growing and growing as far as I see.