Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does Wonder Woman deserve multiple ongoings?

And what would the second one be called.

Batman has Batman, All-Star Batman and Robin, Detective Comics and used to have Legends Of The Dark Night.

Superman has Superman, Action Comics and used to have Adventure Comics.

I really wish the Year One/God Watch story line had been in a seperate book because I probably would have dropped what ever book the truth and the lies were a part of.

Damian Wayne is in three books Black Canary is on three teams, and batgirl is in two books.

Surely Wonder Woman deserves a second book not including Justice League or Trinity because if you count those for her then Bats number goes up by 3 and Supes goes up by 2

I agree. She needs more than one. Sensation comics which is in this continuity and not short stories. Legend of Wonder Woman, odyssey of the amazons, Argus,

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

It's not a question of what she "deserves", but rather one of what she can support financially. At the end of the day, money talks. I'll take one solid ongoing and regular appearances in 2 or 3 satellite books if that's what it takes to get more of the character.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    I agree. She needs more than one. Sensation comics which is in this continuity and not short stories. Legend of Wonder Woman, odyssey of the amazons, Argus,
    Sensation is too close to sensational spider-man. But yeah the other ongoing needs to be in the continuity. Legends sounds like rumors or speculation. Like you would have multiple origins and first meetings depending on the writers whims.

Could they give her Adventure Comics maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Sensation is too close to sensational spider-man.
    What? If anything, it's too close to "Sensational She-Hulk." I don't think Sensational is the adjective that pops straight to mind when they think of Spider-Man. But all that's besides the point; Wonder Woman had Sensation Comics long before Spider-Man was ever even created. Not to mention there was already a Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman not that long ago anyway.

Retired

Hm, AMAZING AMAZON would sound too much like AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, I guess .

I do like the idea of bringing back SENSATION COMICS. Or they could bring back ADVENTURE COMICS where it last left off in the numbering, but tag it as "Amazing Amazon ADVENTURE COMICS."

Just about everyone was featured in ADVENTURE at one time--WW was in it from 459 thru 464, as well as the ever popular 100 Page Super Spectacular ADVENTURE COMICS No. 416 featuring the "World's Greatest Super-Females" and reprinting the Amazing Amazon classic, "Villainy Inc."

Other ADVENTURE Alumni could also pay a visit. Including former Adventurous Super-Females like Black Orchid, Mera, Zatanna, Supergirl, Lana Lang, Saturn Girl, Phantom Girl, Dream Girl, Shadow Lass, Power Girl and Huntress.

Incredible Member

I'd like to see a second title, whether Sensation Comics, Amazing Amazon or some other title.

Ideally, I'd like it to expand upon Diana's world and her cast of supporting characters, both allies and villains. In particular, I would like to see plenty of adventures with Diana teaming up with Donna or Cassie to save the day. I'd also be happy to see Diana teaming up with Batwoman, Batgirl, Supergirl, Black Canary, Zatanna and other female heroes.

But, perhaps sales of Wonder Woman's sole title don't support a second title.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

In my opinion, DC really screwed up not making Rucka's run two ongoings like how Marvel handled Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF and Avengers/New Avenger runs. He could have successfully launched two WW ongoings, but instead they tried the double ship route.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    In my opinion, DC really screwed up not making Rucka's run two ongoings like how Marvel handled Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF and Avengers/New Avenger runs. He could have successfully launched two WW ongoings, but instead they tried the double ship route.
    Hmm...this makes me wonder what would've happened had Year One been marketed as a mini or a separate ongoing.

We can debate endlessly what "deserve" means, splitting into camps based on Character Iconicity, Financial Return On Investment, and so on.

But personally I would love to see more than one ongoing based on Wonder Woman and her mythos. I could easily imagine one series focusing on her adventures involving characters mostly associated with Man's World, and a different one concerning Themyscira and mythological characters. (Those are not actually two utterly distinct types of stories, and can overlap, but I'm mainly talking about a different thematic focus for each series.) I'd even more like to see a series with stories following Donna Troy, Cassie Sandsmark, various Amazons, or even the adventures of a deity or two - either slumming it on Earth or dealing with cosmic threats such as the Lords of Order and Chaos.

And I would want those series to be in continuity.

There is a lot of rich material to be mined, but instead of developing Diana's world, DC keeps shifting it, retconning it, and doubling it over on itself.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    And what would the second one be called.

Batman has Batman, All-Star Batman and Robin, Detective Comics and used to have Legends Of The Dark Night.

Superman has Superman, Action Comics and used to have Adventure Comics.

I really wish the Year One/God Watch story line had been in a seperate book because I probably would have dropped what ever book the truth and the lies were a part of.

Damian Wayne is in three books Black Canary is on three teams, and batgirl is in two books.

Surely Wonder Woman deserves a second book not including Justice League or Trinity because if you count those for her then Bats number goes up by 3 and Supes goes up by 2
    There's no Batman and Robin FYI and Tec is about everyone but Batman. I'd say WW is lucky not to have something like Tec, All Star is based on the star power of the writer, artists and the character. I guess that method could work for Wonder Woman.

Retired

It's too late now, but DC should have used this moment in time to launch a new Wonder Woman ongoing, if they were going to, as they will get a lot of attention when the movie comes out (if only for a couple of weeks).

I guess you could argue that there's enough Wonder Woman comics of one kind or another already. I think the advantage of a second title would be to promote all the super-women. Wonder Woman's star power would support the title, bringing attention to other DC women and in turn all those other co-stars would reinforce WW's importance in the DCU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think the advantage of a second title would be to promote all the super-women. Wonder Woman's star power would support the title, bringing attention to other DC women and in turn all those other co-stars would reinforce WW's importance in the DCU.
    A DC equivalent to Marvel's A-Force would be pretty great. If BoP is just gonna stick to the Babs, Helena, and Dinah (And hopefully Zinda soon), a Wonder Woman led book featuring a more expansive group of female heroes like during the post issue 100 issues of BoP would be pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hmm...this makes me wonder what would've happened had Year One been marketed as a mini or a separate ongoing.
    Wasn't this part of the "Plan" for the run? That they knew going in that the didn't have Scott for more than a few issues?

Wonder Woman should feature in two titles. Stories in Sensational World Of Wonder Woman could explore her myth-inspired origins and the mysteries of the Amazons and their island - it's basically, Diana and the Amazons, with gods mixed in. The stories in Wonder Woman could follow Diana's battles with supervillains (Cale, Cyber, Poison, etc) and her adventures to bizarre, time-lost places, with her friends - Etta, Ferdinand, Steve and Artemis or Doc Julia - while only occasionally visiting Paradise.

Definitely needs TWO titles.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-10-2017 at 02:23 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!