Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Really? Failing to save a cat is unoworyhy of becoming a hero?
    Wasn't there a comic where Jay Garrick (or maybe Superman) comments that if you can't take the time to save a cat out of a tree then you should just hang up your boots?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Wasn't there a comic where Jay Garrick (or maybe Superman) comments that if you can't take the time to save a cat out of a tree then you should just hang up your boots?
    YUP! And I freaking love that line! And it's why Khalid is the worst Doctor Fate, bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    YUP! And I freaking love that line! And it's why Khalid is the worst Doctor Fate, bar none.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but I would disagree. Khalid was an interesting take on somebody who stumbled into the role / didn't necessarily want the role / but was trying to do what was right.

I'm trying to figure out which issue it came from, does anyone know?

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion, but I would disagree. Khalid was an interesting take on somebody who stumbled into the role / didn't necessarily want the role / but was trying to do what was right.
    He had a far more grounded and natural character than most of the Fates. I get his motivations far more than I do the younger Kent Nelson (who, if you think about, had to have a manufactured, artificial personality when he first began operating in the 1940s).

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    He had a far more grounded and natural character than most of the Fates. I get his motivations far more than I do the younger Kent Nelson (who, if you think about, had to have a manufactured, artificial personality when he first began operating in the 1940s).
    As did Clark Kent as Superman, Alan Scott as Green Lantern ...
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

Not to mention that Khalid was some of Paul Levitz's most cliched work EVER! The dialogue was so cringe worthy!

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Well up yours too, Jay/Superman. Men the Golden/Silver Age characters can be condescending jackasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    Not to mention that Khalid was some of Paul Levitz's most cliched work EVER! The dialogue was so cringe worthy!
    I'll still take Levitz over some of the "writers" DC tends to favor these days, though.
    (Steve Orlando and James T Tynion IV are two such writers I tend to avoid, and Tom King's Batman is making me think twice about spending/wasting my money on any of his future solo-writing efforts.)

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

By the way, is there an explanation how Kent Nelson returned to the DC Comics Universe, and does he know what's happening to Johnny Thunder?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    As did Clark Kent as Superman, Alan Scott as Green Lantern ...
    Um. No. Literally manufactured and retconned later.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well up yours too, Jay/Superman. Men the Golden/Silver Age characters can be condescending jackasses.
    Wow, sorry for displaying a difference of opinion. I'll be sure to just agree with you for now on so I don't hurt your feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegant Dreamer View Post
    By the way, is there an explanation how Kent Nelson returned to the DC Comics Universe, and does he know what's happening to Johnny Thunder?
    Well, as far as I'm aware, there hasn't been.
    But then again, DC has really not been very clear about the whole JSA disappearance thing in terms of who it effected.
    There was a reference in the DC Universe: Rebirth one-shot that seemed to indicate that Thunderbolt caused the members to disappear from HUAC-type hearings in the early 1950s that resulted in no trace of the characters, but if that is referring to the story where the JSA disappeared at the end of the "Golden Age", then Dr. Fate was no longer an active member of the JSA at that time. He could have easily been sequestered in his mystical tower at the time.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, as far as I'm aware, there hasn't been.
    But then again, DC has really not been very clear about the whole JSA disappearance thing in terms of who it effected.
    There was a reference in the DC Universe: Rebirth one-shot that seemed to indicate that Thunderbolt caused the members to disappear from HUAC-type hearings in the early 1950s that resulted in no trace of the characters, but if that is referring to the story where the JSA disappeared at the end of the "Golden Age", then Dr. Fate was no longer an active member of the JSA at that time. He could have easily been sequestered in his mystical tower at the time.
    Thank you very much for answering I really appreciate it.

DOCTOR KENT NELSON I suggest you read the current Blue Beetle series. Not to give anything away but you will be very happy. Especially the final page.

spoilers:
    Kent Nelson is once again Dr. Fate! Nabu has kept him in suspended animation in the Tower of Fate.
    end of spoilers

On a side note I'd like to see Khalid stick around as Fate's apprentice. He could represent Dr. Fate on the Teen Titans. It's about time he got a sidekick.
    Last edited by Robotman; 05-24-2017 at 11:55 PM.