Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Astonishing Member

Wonder Woman "confirmed" :P

It's a cute commerical.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm of the old school mentality that Diana isn't as powerful as the Kryptonians, nor does she need to be, so that places Kara above her in terms of raw power. Supergirl is the most powerful female superhero in the DCU.

Diana eclipses her as a fighter though, same as she does with Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm of the old school mentality that Diana isn't as powerful as the Kryptonians,
    I am old school as well, and I am of the belief (with sufficient evidence) that she is as strong as the Kryptonians, and I believe she needs to be, because that is how she was originally conceived. Kara has not been proven to be the most powerful heroine in the DCU when Wonder Woman has bested her in almost every battle that they have been in.

Diana was lifting islands under water back in the 1940s. You can't get more old school than that.

Retired

The ABC WW specials and short first season were all based on the WW II comic book Wonder Woman--who didn't fly or float on air currents. The two CBS seasons were in the modern day, but it was supposed to be the same Princess Diana, with the same powers. It also suited the confines of TV at that time--with THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN, THE BIONIC WOMAN and THE INCREDIBLE HULK--all at the same power levels. So lots of running and jumping in slow motion, lifting heavy objects. That's probably why the network went ahead with Wonder Woman (and even then they didn't make a lot of episodes), because the powers were within the budget of what they could do.

I too am old school---Diana is the physically strongest female of the DCU! Superheroine Number One!

I really wish we see Wonder Woman. We get teasers and hints. I wonder who Wonder Woman is. Is she Lynda? I mean even in the early 2000s DC had a chart of who is the strongest Superherione and Diana was number one. They do have Supergirl right next to her but I guess things are never the same. We have seen Wonder Woman go head to head with many groups and teams. I mean even in many series she can be seen strongest.

IMG_0041.jpg
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 05-23-2017 at 07:55 PM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm of the old school mentality that Diana isn't as powerful as the Kryptonians, nor does she need to be, so that places Kara above her in terms of raw power. Supergirl is the most powerful female superhero in the DCU.

Diana eclipses her as a fighter though, same as she does with Superman.
    This a common misconception about WW. the original golden age Diana was as, if not more powerful then Golden Age Clark.

Tell me if Golden Age Superman has a comparable strength feat to this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    This a common misconception about WW. the original golden age Diana was as, if not more powerful then Golden Age Clark.

Like I said, I'm "old school."

John Byrne, during his run, established that Wonder Woman is 'second-in-power only to Superman'...period, fade to black. This means that Diana's magical powers are nearly the equal of science gives to Superman, and that neither will dominate the other. There's a fairness to that.

There's also the status of these characters that must always be considered. Superman beats everybody, not because it makes sense, but because he's Superman, king of DC's superheroes, ..and the editors and publisher have decided that he be so - I think Byrne said as much, in interview. John Byrne established that Wonder Woman, being the most famous superheroine in the world, should be second-in-power to him, and that also seems fair. Supergirl, while a Kryptonian, is artistically derivative of Superman (both 'Super', matching costume, matching powers), isn't the first superheroine and just hasn't made the same cultural impact that Wonder Woman has, and, considering all of that, ..I think her ranking below Wonder Woman is appropriate.

Wonder Woman and the power of her Greek gods shouldn't be dismissed, simply because they are magic-based.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-24-2017 at 01:25 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post

Yes, but Golden Age Wonder Woman also got knocked out from a blow to the head by Hypnota.

Consistency was not a priority for Marston. And after he died, DC remained pretty consistent with Diana not being as powerful as Superman and Supergirl

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I really wish we see Wonder Woman. We get teasers and hints. I wonder who Wonder Woman is. Is she Lynda? I mean even in the early 2000s DC had a chart of who is the strongest Superherione and Diana was number one. They do have Supergirl right next to her but I guess things are never the same. We have seen Wonder Woman go head to head with many groups and teams. I mean even in many series she can be seen strongest.

IMG_0041.jpg
    Haha, no. Not enough characters on the list for me to take it seriously. I wanna see WW go at it with Lucy Lane.

Interesting thread, I wonder how the writers view this, historically I would say WW has the edge, but in current continuity there have been a number of conflicting accounts. At the start of Super Girls Nu52 run it was stated that she was stronger than superman because her ship had been stuck orbiting the sun for a number of years. However later in the run when Supergirl was being mislead by a rouge kryptonian (I can't recall his name) she and WW fought and WW clearly had the edge in terms of strength. Personally I would view them as being about equal in terms of strength but the real answer is who ever needs to be strongest for the story.

Marston however, did however, want Wonder Woman to be as strong as Superman