Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Retired

Having watched a lot of reaction videos, I can see why this movie is important to a lot of people, especially females. As a male, I didn't fully understand its importance in the Zeitgeist until after I saw those reactions to it. Now I get why people want to honour that achievement.

There are a lot of movies in the past I've been meh about that got nominations and even won Oscars. So I'd be happy to see a movie that I actually loved win some recognition for its achievement.

I almost wish I was back at university in one of my film studies classes so I could write a paper on the movie, but I'm sure there are many such students now who'll write a good semiotics analysis of WONDER WOMAN for a film studies thesis.

However, I think WB has two main reasons, if it's using WW for Oscar bait. The first reason would be to generate some more buzz for the movie. And the second reason would be to show support for Patty Jenkins. Given they want Jenkins to come back and direct WONDER WOMAN II, it gives Patty another incentive to do so, if she knows the studio will promote her for prestigious awards. And I think if the first WONDER WOMAN is her BATMAN BEGINS, then WONDER WOMAN II could be her THE DARK KNIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Having watched a lot of reaction videos, I can see why this movie is important to a lot of people, especially females. As a male, I didn't fully understand its importance in the Zeitgeist until after I saw those reactions to it. Now I get why people want to honour that achievement.

There are a lot of movies in the past I've been meh about that got nominations and even won Oscars. So I'd be happy to see a movie that I actually loved win some recognition for its achievement.

I almost wish I was back at university in one of my film studies classes so I could write a paper on the movie, but I'm sure there are many such students now who'll write a good semiotics analysis of WONDER WOMAN for a film studies thesis.

However, I think WB has two main reasons, if it's using WW for Oscar bait. The first reason would be to generate some more buzz for the movie. And the second reason would be to show support for Patty Jenkins. Given they want Jenkins to come back and direct WONDER WOMAN II, it gives Patty another incentive to do so, if she knows the studio will promote her for prestigious awards. And I think if the first WONDER WOMAN is her BATMAN BEGINS, then WONDER WOMAN II could be her THE DARK KNIGHT.
    I fully understand its importance but even those reaction videos are mostly about the social impact of the movie, not people claiming this is even one of the best CBMs ever. While i loved the movie it drags a bit in the middle, the villians are awful, and the end action peice looked like BvS end scene. And thats not a compliment. WW and Steve were so great along with the rest of the supporting characters that i still loved this movie but like it said before its more important then it is good. IMO its tied with GOTG2 for 3rd best CBM of the year. Logan and spiderman HC were better for me. With lego batman in 4th

Fantastic Member

"Wonder Woman" was a great movie. The best DCEU film to date, IMO, and I'm happy its done as well as it has, but by no means is it a contender for Best Picture. "Logan" would be far more deserving of such a nomination. At the very least, Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart deserve nominations for their performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    WB pushing ww for best picture!

If The Dark Knight wasn't Oscar worthy, then WW certainly isn't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    If The Dark Knight wasn't Oscar worthy, then WW certainly isn't.
    I think most pictures that gt nominated for Oscars aren't worthy.
    It's all Hollywood politics and lobbying, and what films a studio wants to push as Oscar bait.

I think it comes down to personal opinions. I think Wonder Woman was a better crafted movie than The Dark Knight. For me TDK is over-rated and it all comes down to Joker has
    a big fan base. Really all TDK has a going for it is Heath Ledger's Joker, for which he won an Oscar. The rest of the movie really wasn't that good. So the one thing that TDK deserved
    an Oscar for, it won an Oscar for.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think it comes down to personal opinions. I think Wonder Woman was a better crafted movie than The Dark Knight. For me TDK is over-rated and it all comes down to Joker has a big fan base.
    I love the movie and I usually hate the Joker. Joker done right is a very rare thing and it should be taken note off.

I think it comes down to personal opinions. I think Wonder Woman was a better crafted movie than The Dark Knight. For me TDK is over-rated and it all comes down to Joker has
    a big fan base. Really all TDK has a going for it is Heath Ledger's Joker, for which he won an Oscar. The rest of the movie really wasn't that good. So the one thing that TDK deserved
    Yeah, it always comes to personal opinions when it comes to movies, but when nearly all the critics agree and nearly all the fans agree, as was the case for TDK, which made over a billion dollars and had incredibly critical ratings, then I think it's the vast majority of personal opinions aligning like a freaking laser.

I never liked Bales batman. I love TDK because Joker and ledgers take on him. That said i think WW doesnt have anything as great as ledgers joker in it depsite all the non viliian charaters being good

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I fully understand its importance but even those reaction videos are mostly about the social impact of the movie, not people claiming this is even one of the best CBMs ever. While i loved the movie it drags a bit in the middle, the villians are awful, and the end action peice looked like BvS end scene. And thats not a compliment. WW and Steve were so great along with the rest of the supporting characters that i still loved this movie but like it said before its more important then it is good. IMO its tied with GOTG2 for 3rd best CBM of the year. Logan and spiderman HC were better for me. With lego batman in 4th
    WW was far better than Spider-Man HC for me (and I liked HC). It's second only to Logan this year imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I have to mostly agree with everything you said, I liked WW a lot and perhaps a few moments are incredible , I do not think the entire film is amazing as some people say it is. I get its importance but I truly think people are making it better then it actually is. Though I do not think the battle with Ares was bad, just a little typical I would say. Terrible is something like Iron man 1s final fight. For the movie to have been great it should have had a bit more of the fantasy elements, like Pegasus, Unicorns or griffins on Themyscira would have been cool . Also Ares being a actual good villain would have helped a lot but sadly hes just joins the ranks of horrible MCU Villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    An interesting observation I picked up from the DCEU thread in the DC Comics subforum:

has anyone noticed that when it comes to Warner Bros. and specifically the section involved in the production of DC movies, everyone and their uncles have anonymous sources inside the studios, while on the other hand such sources are almost as rare as chicken teeth when it comes to Disney, Fox, Sony, etc.?

It always seemed a little weird to me, too.
    Yes I have noticed this too , its almost like news outlets have the cross airs on DCEU 24/7!

Astonishing Member

If it were up to me (and if I had to choose), I wouldn't push for WW as a Best Picture nom, instead, I'd push for Patty as Best Director.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    WW was far better than Spider-Man HC for me (and I liked HC). It's second only to Logan this year imo.
    Thats fair but no ones saying spidey or GOTG2 are even remotley oscar worthy. And if it wasnt for the Social importance of WW they wouldnt be pushing it either. Logan is a longshot and far better in almost everyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    If it were up to me (and if I had to choose), I wouldn't push for WW as a Best Picture nom, instead, I'd push for Patty as Best Director.
    Warner Bros is doing both.

"Now Warner Bros., the studio behind the film, wants the action movie to break another glass ceiling. Although executives haven’t commented publicly on their plans, they have internally discussed launching a
    formidable awards-season campaign for the movie, in the hopes of making it the first comic-book film nominated for best picture, Variety has learned.

The studio will also stump Patty Jenkins for best director, which would also be groundbreaking. No director of a comic-book film — not even Christopher Nolan — has ever been nominated, and only men have
    ruled the category since (and before) Kathryn Bigelow won the Oscar for “The Hurt Locker” in 2010."

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/wo...ok-1202509132/