Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I could see a lot of readers being confused there if they aren't familiar with Watchmen, or aren't fans. The ending here echoed the end DC Rebirth, too, when Rebirth mentioned Adrian (Ozymandias). So far, anytime you see those little blue narration boxes with the funny font, it's a direct quote of Manhattan from the original book.
    Okay, I will keep that in my mind. Thank you for the help.

Well this whole mini was a big tease. Would have liked to have seen something happen. At least I only bought two books not normally on my pull list

Mighty Member

I hope the pay off for Rebirth being a two year story is worth it. I still don't see why it has to be drawn out over such a long period of time. Granted... I'm not reading EVERY title.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    I hope the pay off for Rebirth being a two year story is worth it. I still don't see why it has to be drawn out over such a long period of time. Granted... I'm not reading EVERY title.
    the two years allows the tie in title some time to breath and have their own stories without everything being dedicated to Rebirth. Though Superman could have been faster to get to Reborn but i think that was DC playing it safe in the transition to merged Superman.

Edit: Being choked by by event tie stuff is what has hurt alot of Marvel titles in the past.

Fantastic Member

double post

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

This story was a merciless tease, but I enjoyed it. I think it would have been somewhat unsatisfying if they'd just rolled Jay out in the same fashion as Wally. This gives Bruce and Barry incentive to keep digging.

Interesting that one of the biggest Batman moments happens in a Flash issue. I mean, Bruce not answering the Bat-signal...that's huge. Hard to imagine Bruce quitting so soon after having been sidelined with amnesia during Snyder's run. I guess every writer now takes a crack at their own Bruce death/disappearance/retirement story arc.

So if I'm reading solicits correctly, Reverse Flash is the villain for the upcoming arc? Is this a version which precedes the one who died in "The Button" or is he returning again?

At any rate, fantastic issue that leaves you begging for more.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Interesting that one of the biggest Batman moments happens in a Flash issue. I mean, Bruce not answering the Bat-signal...that's huge. Hard to imagine Bruce quitting so soon after having been sidelined with amnesia during Snyder's run. I guess every writer now takes a crack at their own Bruce death/disappearance/retirement story arc.
    I thought it was a cool different moment, but Batman editorial really does need to reign in this Bruce death/disappearance/retirement stuff. First, you had the Final Crisis presumed death (which was actually not so long before that preceded by 52/OYL), then the "Dick, you mostly handle Gotham, I'm overseas" Inc Vol 1 phase, then Superheavy amnesiac/mindwipe-caused-by-regeneration, and now this?
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-17-2017 at 08:22 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I like how The Button is sort of like the middle chapter of a 3-chapter story. The DC Rebirth special, if I'm recalling it correctly, flows very nicely right into The Button. And based on the (very little) info we know for Doomsday Clock, it appears the Button flows right into it.

Essentially meaning that you could one day have all 3 events under one cover in a tpb and you would pretty much have the entire story (I'm assuming Doomsday Clock will revisit Superman Reborn, as well as reveal the original split, etc.)
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Incredible Member

Remember in Death and the Maidens and Identity Crisis where Bruce finally came to terms with the fact that even if his parents didn't want him to be Batman, he still would be? Those were the days.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    Remember in Death and the Maidens and Identity Crisis where Bruce finally came to terms with the fact that even if his parents didn't want him to be Batman, he still would be? Those were the days.
    I think it was also the conclusion that Bruce drew in the recent storyline with Bane.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Good arc. Big tease. I'm not a patient man but I'm going with the flow on this.

I didn't get Bruce not answering the signal as him retiring...
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Quote Originally Posted by SicariiDC View Post
    I didn't get Bruce not answering the signal as him retiring...
    Considering the touted significance of the ending from solicits and interviews, it's hard to imagine what else the end portends.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Considering the touted significance of the ending from solicits and interviews, it's hard to imagine what else the end portends.
    Perhaps. Who am I to make assumptions. I'm not all up on the solicits and interviews. But the pages in the comic I read today didn't leave me with the feeling "oh Bruce is retiring".
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Perhaps. Who am I to make assumptions. I'm not all up on the solicits and interviews. But the pages in the comic I read today didn't leave me with the feeling "oh Bruce is retiring".
    Retiring, perhaps not. Reexamining his approach, perhaps.

He might consider trying this again:

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Perhaps Bruce is very close to retiring, but something, some event, will yank him out of that thought. Looks like Batman #24 will tell us what this ending was really leading to.