Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nick Fury #2

This book needs some "heavy guests".

Natasha Romanoff and Winter Soldier, of course!
    Last edited by Winterboy; 05-19-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Alright, decided to give the first issue a look recently.

The story is... okay? I really didn't leave much of an impact on me. Certainly not the worst thing Robinson wrote (hello Cry/Gay for Justice), but it's not his best either (hiya Starman). It's just okay, sort of like when I tried reading Scarlet Witch, but with less character or reasons why I should be interested in what's going on. It's okay.

Aco's artwork on the other hand reminds me a lot of Scarlet Witch. It feels like average writing and storytelling is trying to be boosted by visually different to interesting artwork. With Scarlet Witch, it was a rotating cast of artists each issue, with the big downside being the quality can shoot up or drop like a lead balloon between issues and there's no visual consistency. With Aco, it's bright, colorful, and visually striking, much more different than his work on Midnighter. The big problem though... it's visual noise incarnate. It's like an over hyperexcited cartoon character high on a huge sugar rush bouncing off the walls, screaming "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME". It's hard to tell what to look at, since it feels like there's too much happening to focus on one things; the colors are bright but gaudy as hell; and gives me a headache. It reminds me of that Bucky Barnes: Winter Soldier comic with Marco Ruby with its chaos artwork, but not nearly AS bad (oh man did that comic blow so hard).

So to sum up, okay writing with artwork that is high as a kite but not in a good way. I'm glad people like it, but the quality is lackluster.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    So to sum up, okay writing with artwork that is high as a kite but not in a good way. I'm glad people like it, but the quality is lackluster.
    Comments like this remind me of my days back in the '90s working in video stores when a customer would return a movie like PULP FICTION or FARGO and say they just didn't know what all the fuss was about.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Comments like this remind me of my days back in the '90s working in video stores when a customer would return a movie like PULP FICTION or FARGO and say they just didn't know what all the fuss was about.
    Sooooooooooo, I'm not cultured enough or smart enough to GET this comic like you and others do?

Incredible Member

Enjoying the series so far very fun and the art is awesome. I only wish since we were on the moon here that we saw maybe a tiny cameo of nick sr saying "that's my boy" or something. Yes it would have confused people who have no idea who the unseen is but it would have been fun since they were on the moon.

The art alone compels you to give it a second and third read just because so much is being said through it. I feel like so much happens that it must be longer than a single issue. Like the scenes that showed the big reveal in issue 2. It was phenomenal and you had to pour over it because of the immense amount of detail. Issue 3 can't get hear soon enough.

Yeah I think this series may be the start of a classic run.