Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Seems like a missed opportunity not to showcase Daredevil in a situation where he would have the biggest upper-hand out of all the heroes. Hopefully he shows up at some point.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    Seems like a missed opportunity not to showcase Daredevil in a situation where he would have the biggest upper-hand out of all the heroes. Hopefully he shows up at some point.
    It's a downside of universe wide crossover/events is that when so many characters are involved there's only so many of those characters that the writer can focus on at a time while others remain in the background.

This is why I think the tie ins make sense.

Question re: Dagger... If she can only keep up her illumination for 12 hours max and is down to 4 hours now, what exactly is keeping Manhattan's population from being slaughtered in the dark during the time Dagger isn't playing night light? This is the first time she's ever impressed me. Well done, Marvel. It's like you're hyping her up because she's got a TV show or something... I hope Cloak's connection to the Darkforce Dimension is also touched on.
    cd.jpg
    Last edited by nx01a; 05-17-2017 at 09:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    It's a downside of universe wide crossover/events is that when so many characters are involved there's only so many of those characters that the writer can focus on at a time while others remain in the background.

This is why I think the tie ins make sense.
    Only if one is interested in said event.

Personally, I like what they seem to be doing for the Guardians tie-in. Instead of spanning an entire multi-issue story arc, they've just got one book (Annual). If you're interested in the event, you can get that single book. If not, the main Guardians book remains unaffected.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Only if one is interested in said event.

Personally, I like what they seem to be doing for the Guardians tie-in. Instead of spanning an entire multi-issue story arc, they've just got one book (Annual). If you're interested in the event, you can get that single book. If not, the main Guardians book remains unaffected.
    Even so I'm not bothered by it for example I'm really interested to see what they do with the tie ins for mighty captain marvel, captain america Steve Rogers, captain america Sam Wilson, secret warriors, Doctor strange, uncanny avengers, x-men blue, u.s.avengers, deadpool, secret empire United one shot, secret empire uprising one shot, secret empire underground one shot, amazing spider man, and x-men gold.

There's a few others such as the all new gaurdians of the galaxy tie in you mentioned that's taking place in their annual, but I'm actually genuially interested in those tie ins I actually want to see how these characters are dealing with the crisis of the hydra take over, on top of the fact that these series I listed that are tying into the story are all series I've been reading and following monthly and am very much invested in.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 05-17-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Question re: Dagger... If she can only keep up her illumination for 12 hours max and is down to 4 hours now, what exactly is keeping Manhattan's population from being slaughtered in the dark during the time Dagger isn't playing night light? This is the first time she's ever impressed me. Well done, Marvel. It's like you're hyping her up because she's got a TV show or something... I hope Cloak's connection to the Darkforce Dimension is also touched on.
    cd.jpg
    In the headcanon of my mind, the pockets of people left are probably protected by assorted superheroes, armed normies, Kingpin's armed gangs, and in hiding. Again, this all goes back to there simply not being enough time to show the full situation in this issue alone, but it's not like Darkhold demons are ever shown to be exceptionally smart. The is full of lower-end heroes and villains, plus cops and anyone with weapons, panic rooms and fortified shelters, etc.

This isn't even getting into all of the vampires in NYC, or the sewer issues...

Best not to think too hard about it, really.

cd.jpg
    Probably Doctor strange on top of the various heroes such as cloak and dagger, the uncanny avengers, the defenders and Jessica drew/spider woman whose also there trapped in Manhattan.

Even so I'm not bothered by it for example I'm really interested to see what they do with the tie ins for mighty captain marvel, captain america Steve Rogers, captain america Sam Wilson, secret warriors, Doctor strange, uncanny avengers, x-men blue, u.s.avengers, deadpool, secret empire United one shot, secret empire uprising one shot, secret empire underground one shot, amazing spider man, and x-men gold.

There's a few others such as the all new gaurdians of the galaxy tie in you mentioned that's taking place in their annual, but I'm actually genuially interested in those tie ins I actually want to see how these characters are dealing with the crisis of the hydra take over, on top of the fact that these series I listed that are tying into the story are all series I've been reading and following monthly and am very much invested in.
    Again, that's because you like the event.

There are probably others who may not be so inclined and might prefer an approach more similar to Guardians or will be sitting out the books while the event is ongoing (hopefully, they don't have the books that will tie-in on pull with their LCS and then stick the LCS with the unsold copies).

Personally, I'm just buying the Nick Spencer books plus the following. I hope nothing essential happens in the tie-ins I'm not getting. I don't really fancy spending an extra $50+ per month for tie-ins.

Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Again, that's because you like the event.

There are probably others who may not be so inclined and might prefer an approach more similar to Guardians or will be sitting out the books while the event is ongoing (hopefully, they don't have the books that will tie-in on pull with their LCS and then stick the LCS with the unsold copies).

Personally, I'm just buying the Nick Spencer books plus the following. I hope nothing essential happens in the tie-ins I'm not getting. I don't really fancy spending an extra $50+ per month for tie-ins.

Maybe if they were the length of a original graphic novel so if the tie ins were in a single issue let's say make it 100 or 120 pages I'd even settle for a 50 page one shot tie ins if the tie ins operated like that but they don't, the downside is the publisher would probably want to charge five dollars or ten if that were to happen.

And I think my interest in the event is largely because if the characters that are directly involved in the conflict thus why I am not bothered by the event nor the various tie ins that are involved.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 05-17-2017 at 10:18 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think there's something inspiring about Kingpin still being Kingpin throughout this. Guy is just chugging along, doing what he does best, seemingly having some faith that everything is gonna work out. We could all learn a lot from the guy.
    Good point, actually. Even the heroes trapped in New York had to acknowledge that they could no longer maintain order... but the Kingpin and his organisation could. Of course, the heroes are too petty to cooperate with the Kingpin, they'd rather see everyone die then concede the Kingpin's ruthless methods have become necessary in such a unique survival situation. Chalk it up to another instance where Marvel's villains end up looking more competent and indeed sympathetic then the supposed heroes of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    In the headcanon of my mind, the pockets of people left are probably protected by assorted superheroes, armed normies, Kingpin's armed gangs, and in hiding. Again, this all goes back to there simply not being enough time to show the full situation in this issue alone, but it's not like Darkhold demons are ever shown to be exceptionally smart. The is full of lower-end heroes and villains, plus cops and anyone with weapons, panic rooms and fortified shelters, etc.
    This isn't even getting into all of the vampires in NYC, or the sewer issues...
    Best not to think too hard about it, really.
    Probably Doctor strange on top of the various heroes such as cloak and dagger, the uncanny avengers, the defenders and Jessica drew/spider woman whose also there trapped in Manhattan.
    I know there are other heroes trapped, too, but we're talking about literally saving millions of people for at least 20 hours every day for an extended period over a large area. It honestly seems like there should be a death toll in the millions already.
    Last edited by nx01a; 05-17-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I know there are other heroes trapped, too, but we're talking about literally saving millions of people for at least 20 hours every day for an extended period. It honestly seems like there should be a death toll in the millions already.
    The x-men gold team and their school is located in Manhattan too near Central Park so they're also trapped in Manhattan with the dark force dimension shield, I think they're letting some of the civilians stay there well as many as they can hold.

I think also most of the civilians are holding up in buildings and locking the doors some are even holding up in the hospital.

Maybe if they were the length of a original graphic novel so if the tie ins were in a single issue let's say make it 100 or 120 pages I'd even settle for a 50 page one shot tie ins if the tie ins operated like that but they don't, the downside is the publisher would probably want to charge five dollars or ten if that were to happen.

And I think my interest in the event is largely because if the characters that are directly involved in the conflict thus why I am not bothered by the event nor the various tie ins that are involved.
    I wouldn't mind $4.99 for a 48-56 page (inclusive of ads) one-shot tie-in.

Yup, I reckon it's because those are all books you're already getting that's why it doesn't bother you.

Meanwhile, the only two SE-related books I had been getting were Thunderbolts and Steve Rogers (yep, both books building up to SE). Sam Wilson replaces Thunderbolts' slot but Secret Empire proper + key books adds ~4 books per month. The other tie-ins are another 15 or so books per month that I'd rather spend on something else.
    Currently Following:

Horrible to read. This is what we get when Marvel get fed up with artist delays on major events. A photo montage that looks like it was painted over by a child that fails utterly to draw you into the storytelling. A sequence of stills with no dynamism, no artistic merit and acting as a barrier to the story. I would probably have to read this again to get everything from the story, but I am not going to. Frankly I feel cheated. Underneath the limp watercolour effects and spidery traced lines there is probably an interesting story to be told but not one I was enjoying. This kind of art can work OK with the right context. The second issue of a summer event is not the right context.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post
    Well in pleasant Hill a the villains were still locked within themselves.

It isn't a surprise the true cap is locked within himself.
    Yes, that's a point, but it would mean Hydra Cap changes into bearded Cap now and then. It doesn't seem possible given the time element.