Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    What can I say? The prequels were the first Star Wars films that I saw as a kid in the cinema. To me, Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme are just as important in the Star Wars saga as Luke, Han and Leia though I know people will find that hard to believe that anyone can think that.
    That's indeed something many tend to forget, a whole generation has discovered Star Wars with the prequels and yeah, lot of them loved it.

1. A New Hope
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. Rogue One
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. Solo
    8. The Phantom Menace
    9. Attack of the Clones

10.The Last Jedi
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-18-2019 at 12:11 PM.

1.) Return of the Jedi (my favorite movie of all time bar none)
    2.) A New Hope
    3.) Empire Strikes Back
    4.) Revenge of the Sith
    5.) Rogue One
    6.) Phantom Menace
    7.) The Force Awakens
    8.) Attack of the Clones
    9.) Last Jedi
    10.) Solo
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    REVENGE OF THE SITH was the best of the Prequels.
    I couldn't agree with you more. It is a criminally underrated movie IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

1. The Phantom Menace
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. Attack of the Clones
    4. Rogue One
    5. The Empire Strikes Back
    6. A New Hope
    7. Solo
    8. Return of the Jedi
    9. The Last Jedi
    10. The Force Awakens
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

1- A new hope
    2- Empire Strikes Back
    3- Revenge of the Sith
    4- Return of the Jedi
    5- Solo
    6- Force awakens
    7- Rogue One
    8- Attack of the clones
    9- Phantom Menace
    10- The last Jedi
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Rogue One
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    Solo
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi
    The Phantom Menace
    Power with Girl is better.

1: Empire Strikes Back.
    2: A New Hope.
    3: Return of the Jedi.
    4: Rogue One.
    5: The Force Awakens.
    6: The Phantom Menace.
    7: Revenge of the Sith.
    8: Attack of the Clones.
    9: Solo.
    10: The Last Jedi.

Amazing Member

I like only 3 of them

Rogue One is the best. Then A New Hope the. Of the first three in the 90s early 2000s I hate the crappy 3rd one and like the second one.

Rogue One is perfect.

Extraordinary Member

Listed in terms of my preferences, not necessarily their “objective” quality.

1. Empire Strikes Back - the most balanced of the Star Wars film’s and the one that really made the franchise “the space opera.”

2. Return of the Jedi - I’m just absolutely in love with the Throne Room Scene here, and I’ve got a genuine soft spot for both Jabba’s palace and the Ewoks.

3. The Force Awakens - Yes, I know it’s basically just ANH repackaged, but not only do I think the improvement in special effects and fight scene choreography should be considered an advantage, but I honestly think Finn is a major tie breaker in and of himself. Finn’s JUST THAT GOOD in TLJ. Finn’s story is so good to me that the only thing keeping it from being ranked #1 is that ESB and a ROTJ enhance each other and compound their strengths, while TFA gets sabotaged by its Sequel...

4. A New Hope - It’s the first and the literal film classic.

5. Revenge of the Sith - The Best Of The Prequels? Yes! Arguably also the most “operatic” of all the Star Wars films, in a good way.

6. Rogue One - Still a damn good movie where the only real flaw is that Jyn and Cassian are the least interesting leads in the film’s to me.

7. The Phantom Menace - honestly, the only real flaw I’ve actually seen in my re-watch is how child Anakin doesn’t work. Lloyd is actually doing a good job as a child actor, but the character is written too awkwardly, and unlike Jar Jar, he isn’t relegated strictly to comedy (I really don’t mind Jar Jar because I’ve never been distracted by his antic, and again, I’ve got a soft spot for Ewoks, so I’m not surprised that I like kid-specific characters.) Also, maybe the best overall lightsaber fight.

8. Solo - A fun, competent movie, but the one with the most boring premise. There’s a reason people have talked about Maul’s 30 second cameo more than anything else in the film.

9. The Clone Wars - No, it’s not really cinema quality. But it’s not sabotaging itself every five seconds...

10. The Last Jedi -...because that’s what TLJ is doing. Outside of the script, it’s extremely well done!... but the script is just BAD. Emphasis is put on the wrong characters for the film (Luke and Kylo should not be usurping Rey and Finn as the leads in the ST). Character arcs are generally dubiously conceived (Luke), ignorant of perspective and previous characterization (Rey and Kylo), self-defeating and contradictory (Poe and Holdo) or just...nothing (Finn.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

SPOILERS!!!!

I already listed my favorite Star Wars movies but I've been rewatching them and haven't seen any of them for decades except for the recent ones so, seeing them fresh, I have different opinions. This is the ones I liked best, not necessarily any argument about what is "best".

1. The Empire Strikes Back: Obviously, it couldn't work without the original laying the groundwork but I think it has the most gravitas of any of the movies and is Lucas at his best.

2. Star Wars: The movie we now call "A New Hope" is a simple, straightforward story compared to any of the others but it's a classic fairy tale set in outer space and works on so many levels.

3. Return of the Jedi: I have mixed feelings about putting this third because there are several of the movies that, on any given watching, could be my third favorite. But this one completes the trilogy and has the redemption of Darth Vader.

4. Rogue One: I was astounded by this movie. I saw it before I had seen 7, 8 or "Solo". I found myself loving the characters and caring about them even though I had been spoiled and knew they all died. This could easily equal or possibly beat "Jedi" were "Jedi" not the conclusion of the trilogy that has had 35 years to percolate in my mind while this is a prequel.

5. The Force Awakens: Yeah, yeah, it's divisive. But to be divisive inherently means there are plenty of people on both sides of the argument. It was a rehash of ANH in too many ways but it had a lot of good stuff and broke from the Boy's Club by having a woman finally be the lead Jedi character.

6. Solo: This is probably more in the Nostalgia trip area for me than really being better than the movies below it but I liked it. I thought it had some nice twists and characters that had their own real motives that caught me by surprise.

7. Attack of the Clones: I found it to have a lot of action, some good romance scenes with Anakin and Padme and some evidence of where Anakin is headed. I do believe the biggest dislike of the prequels is the knowledge of where this is going even without knowing the specifics. It's definitely the classic definition of a tragedy which is that the protagonist not only ends badly but brings it about himself.

8. The Phantom Menace: I thought it was fun and far enough away from the tragic way it will end to be enjoyable. I liked the idea that Anakin was once an innocent kid and very caring and then later seeing the "progress" of how he slips deeper and deeper into villainy.

9. The Last Jedi: I thought it has some cheap three-ring circus story-telling techniques though it was still fun. It tended to throw away the promise from TFA rather than embrace it. A lot of that is, of course, because it's the first trilogy not all controlled by one person and had a person more interested in his one chance to express his vision than in sustaining and carrying on what was established in the first act and leading to the last act. Yet, like all Star Wars movies, I loved it. I just loved it a little less than some of the others.

10. Revenge of the Sith: I know this is considered the best of the prequels but the middle act in the Star Wars trilogies is usually the downer and the third act hits the high note even more than the first act. But, in this case, "Clones" hit the high note ending with the marriage of Padme and Anakin while it was inevitable that this one had to end on the lowest note of any of the movies other than maybe Rogue One. Natalie Portman seemed underused. Although I know it's the style, I though Palpatine was just so over the top it was ridiculously obvious although I'm mindful that saving Padme was a big reason he turned. There were also some great R2D2 scenes.

1) Empire Strikes Back
    2) A New Hope
    3) Rogue One
    4) Return of the Jedi
    5) Revenge of the Sith
    6) The Force Awakens
    7) Solo
    8) The Phantom Menace
    9) Attack of the Clones
    10) Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated movie (2008)
    11) Ewoks Battle for Endor
    12) Ewoks Adventure Caravan of Courage
    13) The Star Wars Holiday Special
    Dead Last) The Last Jedi
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Empty is thy hand!

1) Empire Strikes Back - the universe expands
    2) Revenge of the Sith - as much of a "space opera" as you can get
    3) Return of the Jedi - the grand finale; Luke becomes a man
    4) Attack of the Clones - the Jedi action I wanted to begin with
    5) The Phantom Menace - woefully underrated and misunderstood
    6) A New Hope - simple but great
    7) Holiday Special - a grab bag of insanity
    8) Clone Wars three episodes stitched together - not good, but I enjoy Punky Muffin
    9) Disney stuff - just not working out

Go on then, let's see how this falls with the new ones...

1) The Force Awakens - Converted me from someone who'd enjoyed the (original) Star Wars movies to more of an outright fan... albeit of that movie and it's characters.
    2) The Last Jedi - Didn't have quite the same WOW as TFA. but that was always going to be a tough act to follow. As a movie it's own right though, TLJ is everything I wanted in a sequel to Awakens... even though I didn't know I wanted some stuff until the movie did it!
    3) A New Hope - Some of it's a bit dated now (narratively, rather than production-wise), but it ticks all the right boxes and holds up considerably moreso than a trio of movies that were made about 22 years later.
    4) Rogue One - Any prequel that adds something to the story it's prequelling works for me. And Rogue One does that in so many ways.
    5) Solo - It's fun, it's throway, it does the job. No frills, but I like it.
    6) Return of the Jedi - The Ewoks are awful and the story's a bit blah . Never a film I'm rushing to watch again, but if it rocks up on the telly, I'll leave it on.
    7) Empire - A couple of very good moments but the rest of it drags. It's a middle film that really feels like a middle film.

And that's that. I can't rank the prequels cos they fail as movies long before they can even be judged as good or bad Star Wars. To be honest, I'm gutted they've shelved any other stand alone flashback movies for the time being cos I was gonna consider Solo, Rogue One and whatever other movie we got as chapters I-III. That way, the numbering system could still work without acknowledging the prequels ever existed.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 02-19-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. A New Hope
    4 Attack of the Clones
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Return of The Jedi
    7. Rogue One
    8. The Force Awakens
    9. The Last Jedi

What can I say? The prequels were the first Star Wars films that I saw as a kid in the cinema. To me, Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme are just as important in the Star Wars saga as Luke, Han and Leia though I know people will find that hard to believe that anyone can think that.
    I can totally see that. A lot of us cannot deal with the reality that our perspective is just our perspective based on our age, life experiences, etc. For someone that started with the prequels, I can even see them feeling like Episode 4 is too simplistic and that 4, 5 and 6 don't deliver on the potential 1, 2 and 3 set up.