Page 22 of 119 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

I wasn't as big a fan of this episode as the others.

this show is weird because all the scenes without BL are super awesome and then his goofy ass shows up.

His costume is actually a bit too out there. His costume should've actually been just leather pants and a jacket with a few white lighting bolts.

He is extremely out of place.

I'm confused as to why Gambi erased the video of Tobias Whale in the car at the scene of the shooting.

Apparently Grace Choi will now become the love interest of Anissa?

Some people took the mention of wearing a Supergirl costume as an indication of Supergirl being a fictional character in the Black Lightning universe.
    But in the Supergirl universe lots of girls have worn a Supergirl costume. Sam, Lena, Kara, and Alex even went to a school pageant which had a dozen
    or so little girls doing a dance number wearing Supergirl costumes. It would sort of be like someone in our world dressing up like Marilyn Monroe.
    Last edited by Osiris-Rex; 01-31-2018 at 01:02 AM.

Ultimate Member

I think that Grace was always going to be Anissa's big love interest on the show and the old girlfriend was more the surprise...

The biggest thing about this episode was Lady Eve. She’s apparently not one to be messed with. Especially with how she talked to Tobias Whale. It was full of authority. I think everyone thought that he was the big bad, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Ultimate Member

My guess is that they haven't decided what Earth this show is set on yet. So either Supergirl might just be a comic book character here (they've referenced Marvel heroes on the CW shows before after all), or perhaps the two shows are on the same Earth, OR it's a different Supergirl.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I'm confused as to why Gambi erased the video of Tobias Whale in the car at the scene of the shooting.

Apparently Grace Choi will now become the love interest of Anissa?

Some people took the mention of wearing a Supergirl costume as an indication of Supergirl being a fictional character in the Black Lightning universe.
    But in the Supergirl universe lots of girls have worn a Supergirl costume. Sam, Lena, Kara, and Alex even went to a school pageant which had a dozen
    or so little girls doing a dance number wearing Supergirl costumes. It would sort of be like someone in our world dressing up like Marilyn Monroe.
    Grace Choi was Anissa's GF in the comics as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    this show is weird because all the scenes without BL are super awesome and then his goofy ass shows up.

His costume is actually a bit too out there. His costume should've actually been just leather pants and a jacket with a few white lighting bolts.

He is extremely out of place.
    Yeah it's the only superhero show were the normal guy and his family is more interesting than his superhero persona.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Grace Choi was Anissa's GF in the comics as well.
    I had no clue Grace's last name was Choi or that she was Asian at all. I vaguely remember her from the outsiders books from 2005 ish
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Retired

I like the costume--it represents the old school super-hero. However, in the first two episodes, Black Lightning was shown in a Blaxploitation setting, beating up on bad dudes in their dens of inequity--with cool music. And all that action is fun. Whereas, the big in-costume scene this time around is at a march, with good people. That's not the same vibe and we're too worried about innoncent folks getting killed to enjoy the fun of seeing Black Lightning out among the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I like the costume--it represents the old school super-hero. However, in the first two episodes, Black Lightning was shown in a Blaxploitation setting, beating up on bad dudes in their dens of inequity--with cool music. And all that action is fun. Whereas, the big in-costume scene this time around is at a march, with good people. That's not the same vibe and we're too worried about innoncent folks getting killed to enjoy the fun of seeing Black Lightning out among the people.
    Just curious. What's the blaxploitation setting you're referring to?

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I imagine it is because Tobias throws Jefferson off his game and makes him super mad revengey since he killed his dad and Gambi doesn't want him to go down that road.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    Just curious. What's the blaxploitation setting you're referring to?
    Episode 1 at the Sea Horse Motel was like the kind of motels in my neighbourhood back in the '70s, with all the neon signs. "Lazaretto" by Jack White granted is not from the '70s, but it has that phat bass beat and evokes the feeling of blaxploitation movie soundtracks.

Episode 2 has "Am I Black Enough for You" by Billy Paul, from 1972. The street scene evokes a sense of the blaxploitation movie street scenes. The camera angles up at BL when he's walking, which is a camera angle you'd see a lot in '70s movies for the same emotional perspective. The hotel is a little more upscale than the motel, but it's an old hotel from that era or earlier.

The dialogue has quips that would be at home in a blaxploitation pic. The fight scenes are both in close quarters, up close and personal, with some of the same kind of fight choreography, but much tighter than you'd see in the '70s movies.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 01-31-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Tobias right hand woman is a terrible shot. She was ordered to shoot BL and somehow ended up hitting the pastor he was standing in front of.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Tobias right hand woman is a terrible shot. She was ordered to shoot BL and somehow ended up hitting the pastor he was standing in front of.
    I thought that could be a function of Black Lightning's powers/suit--that if someone tries to shoot him from behind it puts up a force field around him so he can't get hit and the bullet angles off, which is why the reverend and Khalil got hit instead.