Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Star Trek 4 is Happening. Yay. Now for my expectations

I am happy at the news that star trek 4 is happening.

https://trekmovie.com/2022/02/15/bre...y-end-of-year/

Also a part of me is dreading strange new worlds since i dont think that series would be good as it is the same folks behind Picard and Discovery, I am also scared they will mess up classic characters like Uhura, Chapel, Spock, Pike. I wanted alternate trek back.

Now for my expectations.

1. Still keep Pretending Into Darkness never happened.

2. Trek 4 should continue the growth and maturity the cast had in Star Trek Beyond

3. JJ Abrams, Alex Kurtzman, David Lindelöf and Robert Orci should be kept off this movie in any job of directing and writing. JJ Abrams can be a producer but that is it.

4. Would like to see Carol and Jaylah back. Female characters with good potential

5. Spock and Uhura need to be married by now and have a kid

6. More Space explorations

7. Don't try too hard to make star trek what these folks think is seen as cool today. ( I am looking at you Picard and discovery)

8. More intellectual star trek mixed with good visual science fiction directing. I wish Nolan, Cauron and Spielberg would direct but I know they are costly and may show no interest.

9. A full ensemble cast story telling

10. Karl Urban is good as Bones, but he needs to stop trying too hard to be like De Forest Kelly.

Engage

Wondering how they'll explain Chekhov's absence, or will recast. I suppose they could have him be transferred to the Kelvinverse version of Reliant. Also, perhaps bring in new versions of Illia or Saavik as the new navigator-Illia was the main navigator in TMP because Chekhov was at tactical (Also because presumably the other navigator as the other transporter casualty although some Trek EU identified her as Kirk's wife) and Saavik took up the post in TWOK while he was on Reliant and also back at the tactical station.

Funny thing is he isn't permanently back in his old seat until the second half of the TOS movies. In TFS he's pretty much multitasking everywhere in part due to Spock and Uhura not being present (Scotty does the navigator thing for most of the movie).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Okay, wasn't overly fond of the first two, but Beyond was really good, so I'm cautiously hopeful. Since the cast has been generally good, I suspect that the movie will pass or fail depending on the story, which we don't know yet.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I'm also very glad this is happening. I think the cast really jelled by the end of Beyond and felt like TOS crew.

Really wish they would recast Chekov. It sucks what happened to Yelchin, but the character shouldn't have to be shelved because of it. Really tired of Hollywood's aversion to recasting roles anymore.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

I want Quentin Tarantino to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Really wish they would recast Chekov. It sucks what happened to Yelchin, but the character shouldn't have to be shelved because of it. Really tired of Hollywood's aversion to recasting roles anymore.
    Personally I would like to see Mr. Eriks, in this movie. We have the tech now to do a good cgi version of him.

Honestly, I don't see the point. A crew on a ship has positions it needs to fill, it's not like "Friends" where it would be weird if someone new just popped into the group. And Chekov's role on the ship was actually the least defined. They wouldn't even necessarily need to "replace" him in the group dynamic even if there's a new person in his job. There are enough characters as it is that need time in a movie where the only reason there are so many characters in the core cast is because they were on a tv show where each got some time to shine over the course of years. I'd rather they honor Yelchin by saying that Chekov had died heroically then focus on the remaining characters. (and of course a few new ones like the antagonist - which will always make these movies crowded)

That said, I do hope they bring back Carol Marcus because I think Alice Eve did a great job and if there's a romance, let it be between her and Kirk and let Uhura and Spock just be a stable couple with no drama and let their stories be about something else.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Wondering how they'll explain Chekhov's absence, or will recast. I suppose they could have him be transferred to the Kelvinverse version of Reliant. Also, perhaps bring in new versions of Illia or Saavik as the new navigator-Illia was the main navigator in TMP because Chekhov was at tactical (Also because presumably the other navigator as the other transporter casualty although some Trek EU identified her as Kirk's wife) and Saavik took up the post in TWOK while he was on Reliant and also back at the tactical station.

Funny thing is he isn't permanently back in his old seat until the second half of the TOS movies. In TFS he's pretty much multitasking everywhere in part due to Spock and Uhura not being present (Scotty does the navigator thing for most of the movie).
    Jayla would be a good Chekhov replacement. She doesn't understand the world so you get your everyman and she's a mechanical savant. She also is an alien, so yay for variety in visuals.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

This is a situation where I'm cool with replacing if for no other reason than to mirror the Original Star Trek series where characters would be in and out of the shows as the actors were available. Just reference "Lieutenant" Chekov being assigned to the Reliant or something like that.

Guarded optimism, doesn't sound like a sure thing yet.

I like Into Darkness, more than the last one.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Honestly, I don't see the point. A crew on a ship has positions it needs to fill, it's not like "Friends" where it would be weird if someone new just popped into the group. And Chekov's role on the ship was actually the least defined. They wouldn't even necessarily need to "replace" him in the group dynamic even if there's a new person in his job. There are enough characters as it is that need time in a movie where the only reason there are so many characters in the core cast is because they were on a tv show where each got some time to shine over the course of years. I'd rather they honor Yelchin by saying that Chekov had died heroically then focus on the remaining characters. (and of course a few new ones like the antagonist - which will always make these movies crowded)

That said, I do hope they bring back Carol Marcus because I think Alice Eve did a great job and if there's a romance, let it be between her and Kirk and let Uhura and Spock just be a stable couple with no drama and let their stories be about something else.
    You're reducing the character to their position. That's like saying "Just replace Spock and have another character take his job." Chekov was a fun character. I want to see more of him, not less.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

You're reducing the character to their position. That's like saying "Just replace Spock and have another character take his job." Chekov was a fun character. I want to see more of him, not less.
    That was not my intent. To further articulate my feelings, I think that within the show, there are two elements at play - the role a character has on the ship (their job) and their role within the friends dynamic. Chekov's job on the ship wasn't as relevant as say, Scotty's because engineering issues with the ship have been important to the stories for drama and sci-fi plot devices. A new engineer would likely have to play a part in some way. A new person filling Chekov's job wouldn't have to be important or even need any lines. Within the friend dynamic, the most important ones are Kirk, Spock, Bones and Uhura. Unfortunately, Scotty, Sulu and Chekov are not as relevant to the interpersonal relationships. You want to see a new Chekov because you enjoy the character - cool. But for me, I don't think Chekov needs to be recast because I don't see him as relevant in either category. (I mean, there were plenty of episodes where he didn't appear and those shows were fine)

Maybe Darwin? She was navigator in Into Darkness when Pavel was Chief engineer. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Darwin
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'll believe this is a thing when I see the trailer
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!