Page 32 of 119 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast
    Retired

I keep hearing predictions that Jefferson is going to step back from being Black Lightning and assume more of a mentor role as his daughters take over all the action. I hope not.

The pitch I had heard for this show had me thinking it was going to be a dramedy. Jefferson would be this used-up super-hero in a sitcom formula--think Ted Knight on TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT--while his smart-ass kids are running around getting into all kinds of trouble as young super-heroes.

I was not up for that nonsense and that's why I wasn't going to bother with the pilot. I'm happy that I gave into my curiosity--and colour me surprised when it turned out to be nothing like that.

I'm down for the super-hero family jazz. But I don't want Jefferson to ever leave the scene. The daughters are fine, but Black Lightning is the star.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Its in the Rules for Making a Black Superhero Handbook [TM].

I think he was involved in the organization but at some point (either right before or just as the kids started disappearing) he grew a conscience.

Its grown on me, so I could go either way in regards to keep the suit or getting a new one. Though when Gambi playing both sides of the fence is revealed I'm sure we'll get the obligatory "I can't trust you NOR your gear" and Jefferson will use something he cobbled together.

I already liked Whale but this whole losing the keys to the kingdom plus his sister coming on board is fascinating. Now I want to know more about his two henchmen (Joker Jr and Miss Glaresatyou).

Yeah it was pretty cool.
    Yo you ain't kiddin about that handbook Man. That **** is like a rule lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I keep hearing predictions that Jefferson is going to step back from being Black Lightning and assume more of a mentor role as his daughters take over all the action. I hope not.

The pitch I had heard for this show had me thinking it was going to be a dramedy. Jefferson would be this used-up super-hero in a sitcom formula--think Ted Knight on TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT--while his smart-ass kids are running around getting into all kinds of trouble as young super-heroes.

I was not up for that nonsense and that's why I wasn't going to bother with the pilot. I'm happy that I gave into my curiosity--and colour me surprised when it turned out to be nothing like that.

I'm down for the super-hero family jazz. But I don't want Jefferson to ever leave the scene. The daughters are fine, but Black Lightning is the star.
    Well he's the title character so I doubt that happens. But you never know...
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Why does the black super hero always have to be saddled with some sort of debilitating physical or mental condition? Maybe not always but it seems like a thing. Gambi playing both sides of fence hope he didn't have anything to do with those super kids disappearing years ago. Hopefully Jeff's condition will lead to him getting a better looking suit.

Tobias getting that letter with the ground up dust was eerie. To his credit he didn't seem scared tho, he was just like wtf??? Honestly though I'm starting to get that fall of Wakanda vibe with this show.

Anissa looked damn good in that costume, how do you upgrade that? Hope she keeps it at least for a long while.
    Offhand, I don’t know of any black super hero that’s had a debilitating physical or mental condition.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I haven’t seen the episode yet , but i read a review, and i have some questions/ comments;
    1) gambi worked for the a.s.a? what is that exactly? It might explain how he knows tobias, but not why he’s protecting him. And he must know about jefferson’s hatred towards tobias-i’m not sure why he’s pushing jefferson to continue as black lightning.
    2) jefferson’s headaches; a side effect of his power no doubt, but it seems that they’re just piling crap on him for the sake of drama. I’m having a hard enough time with all the social issues on this show, but i’m not keen on sitting through the various problems jefferson is having just being black lightning.
    3) two episodes ago, henderson was anti black lightning. Now he’s accepting a burner phone from him? Did i miss something?
    4) considering how bad ass tobias is supposed to be, i’m surprised he didn’t kill his father years ago.
    In fact, going back over it now, Gambi must’ve always known who Tobias was and what he could do. I guess he couldn’t really have told Jefferson any of this because of his involvement with the experiments, and maybe he thought jefferson’s Abilities could give him an edge against Tobias, but I still can’t understand why he’s willing to send Jefferson back out for round two,knowing what happened the first time.

Ultimate Member

Why does the black super hero always have to be saddled with some sort of debilitating physical or mental condition?
    Would you prefer he be like Flash, requiring people to think for him?

They gotta pad the time, and limit the special effects somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post

Holy Toledo?
    Wrong franchise.

Extraordinary Member

Offhand, I don’t know of any black super hero that’s had a debilitating physical or mental condition.
    Offhand I can think of M.A.N.T.I.S.Cyborg,Spawn,Black Lighting, Death Lok,James Rhodes and Cloak.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 02-14-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Would you prefer he be like Flash, requiring people to think for him?

They gotta pad the time, and limit the special effects somehow.
    I get that but damn it's just the 5th episode and this dude is falling all over the place,having mood swings and almost getting himself killed by Joker's cousin.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I have to wonder exactly how long jefferson has known gambi;and what does he know about him?
    In the first episode Gambi said he's known Jefferson since he was 12 years old.

I get that but damn it's just the 5th episode and this dude is falling all over the place,having mood swings and almost getting himself killed by Joker's cousin.
    I think this is probably the first time we've actually seen Black Lightning lose a fight, on-screen, and it was only because his powers were acting wonky.

He would've plowed through Toledo otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    In the first episode Gambi said he's known Jefferson since he was 12 years old.
    I think it's been all but stated that Gambi took in and raised Jefferson after Tobias killed Alvin.

Incredible Member

I noticed BL's gloves don't cover his fingers, does he not leave fingerprints?

Ultimate Member

And the four episodes prior to that, he's been whupping ass left and right, dealing with the situations he finds himself in like a pro. Until they bring in more heavies for him to fight, they gotta hold him back somehow.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    And the four episodes prior to that, he's been whupping ass left and right, dealing with the situations he finds himself in like a pro. Until they bring in more heavies for him to fight, they gotta hold him back somehow.
    Ok. I'm just saying here's to hoping this doesn't become a trend with this show.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think this is probably the first time we've actually seen Black Lightning lose a fight, on-screen, and it was only because his powers were acting wonky.

He would've plowed through Toledo otherwise.

I think it's been all but stated that Gambi took in and raised Jefferson after Tobias killed Alvin.
    It's more he put himself in that position like he's mentally unstable. But you're right it's just one episode only time will tell where this is going.