Page 11 of 119 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Retired

One thing I like about BLACK LIGHTNING is that it uses several DC concepts. It might not be in the Arrowverse, but it is in the DC verse.

The 100 was a criminal operation that was introduced in the Rose & Thorn back-up feature in SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND, LOIS LANE, in the early 1970s. And Lois eventually teamed with Thorn to go against the 100. There were a lot of crime groups introduced at that time, including Intergang and the League of Assassins.

We also have Peter Gambi, who's a super-hero tailor. His brother, Paul Gambi was a tailor introduced in the 1960s and he provided the costumes for the Rogues Gallery. The guys on THE FLASH were actually paying homage to one of their fans, whose letters appeared in Flash-Grams--Paul Gambaccini. Paul was quite active in comic book fandom and then went to Britain where he became a leading radio personality. He's always been openly gay and active in the gay community, so it wouldn't surprise me if his comic book alter ego was also gay.

Jefferson Pierce lived in Suicide Slum, which was the ghetto neighbourhood that Jack Kirby established as being in Metropolis, when he was doing SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN--which tied in with the Fourth World titles. Since Jack brought back the Guardian and the Newboy Legion in those stories--via retroactive continuty one can assume that the original Guardian (Jim Harper) and the Newsboy Legion were in Suicide Slum. That nicely fits with Jefferson Pierce who was essentially on the same mission as the Guardian--helping inner city kids against the crime bosses.

And as Jefferson was in Metropolis, that allowed Inspector William Henderson to appear in the stories. Bill Henderson first appeared on the SUPERMAN radio show in the 1940s--earlier I mistakenly said his first appearance was on the TV show in the 1950s, but he's been around even longer.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Yeah I really do question what the deal with was the white dude Jefferson blasted was. I guess we could assume there was something dirty going on we didn't know about but..I mean...neither would he. :P

But I think we're just supposed to be going with the idea he was so pissed that anyone who WASN'T his daughters/family were going to be blasted right then.

I do find the one thing a bit silly about all of this was what Thunder (I think) pointed out in all this. IE That Jefferson thought this would all never touch his school.

But given the pullover and him still barely reacting I think it's safe to say that he really wanted to believe and ignored all evidence in front of him as things got worse.

So I HOPE they never try to pull the "Should I be Black Lightning? Doesn't it hurt others?" that other shows might try. He already went through that and saw without a DOUBT the city needs him.

While I know it's unlikely, it occurs to me that there IS another superhero they could relatively easily bring in to the show (or two depending on how you count them) especially if they want to give Jennifer a love interest at some point. Hint: His name is pretty close to Anissa's codename. :P
    Pierce had an arrangement with Lala that Garfield was a safe zone like Pops' barbershop in Luke Cage.

Which for me makes me wonder why Lala didnt just hand the girls over to Jeff and get rid of Will. He didn't have any beef with the Pierce family.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    I suppose, but that means it's apparently so well known that Jefferson could track it down almost INSTANTLY AND that a place with gang members with weapons out in the front is somehow not being targeted by the overzealous racist police officers we saw earlier?

My first thoughts was that it's simply a cheap motel the gang operates out of on occasion and simply stepped up their presence there because of hearing what their member did (kidnapping Jennifer and Anissa). I mean gangs generally operate secretly and in places they WOULDN'T have a clear presence in real life.

And maybe because I've had family members run out wearing virtually nothing from emergencies or seeming emergencies the running with clothes bit is DEFINITELY something folks would do if they hear gunshots or well a veritable WARZONE. I know I've done similar for less. :P

But either way. I doubt that'll be mentioned again anyway.
    Motels used in that capacity isn't something drummed up for fantasy. Those places exist. I know a place like that in my old neighborhood. They may not walk around with guns drawn, but they still carry.

Contrary to popular belief, there absolutely are places of gang activity that are known and left alone for a time. Similar to these "spas" that we all know what goes on at...yet they still operate.

Now do you have relatives who would run out of a motel half naked with their spouse still left in the bed?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    Motels used in that capacity isn't something drummed up for fantasy. Those places exist. I know a place like that in my old neighborhood. They may not walk around with guns drawn, but they still carry.

Contrary to popular belief, there absolutely are places of gang activity that are known and left alone for a time. Similar to these "spas" that we all know what goes on at...yet they still operate.

Now do you have relatives who would run out of a motel half naked with their spouse still left in the bed?
    I liveairport an airport and all the older motels are just like this. Hell the neighborhood I work in is near a highway that is littered with.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

BANNED

have one of those barely 5 miles from where I live, there's a small crew that runs it, any girl that works there pays them a percentage

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Pierce had an arrangement with Lala that Garfield was a safe zone like Pops' barbershop in Luke Cage.

Which for me makes me wonder why Lala didnt just hand the girls over to Jeff and get rid of Will. He didn't have any beef with the Pierce family.
    because he would look like a punk to the rest of his crew

bowing down to a HS principal

Astonishing Member

Oh that I agree on, that they're a real thing. But it barely bothers to set that up as an idea. And given the 100 is WAY bigger than LaLa's area (and I doubt LaLa only operated out of one area) jumping all the way there and assuming it's just a gang nest, while certainly possible or sensible, begins with a bunch of assumptions.

Honestly, maybe, though I hope they wouldn't (I'd lean heavily to no though). But he didn't seem to be running out of the motel anyway. All we see is a guy running to the door to hear commotion holding his clothes who's questioning why there's huge firefight outside only to get lightning blasted. If this guy is a regular client at the motel for illegal activities he shouldn't be reacting like the way he did if he heard a commotion like that, he'd just be bolting. Instead he looks like he's hearing something stupid and walking to the door with his clothes to see what's going on and get dressed to address it if he had to (I'd assume he'd have a weapon anyway if this really was in a bad neighborhood etc...).

Astonishing Member

Dumb logic as it might sound like it's a bit hard to assume for me that of all things they did and showed in the episode that of all things they'd only IMPLY the prostitution here when outright talking about it earlier with Jennifer.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusRex View Post
    I'm okay Black Lightning having it's own Earth. It could possibly fit on Earth-38 with Supergirl and Superman. It would explain the Roland Martin comment. But it looks like there was a Barack Obama in Black Lightning, and I'm not sure about that in Supergirl. I think I remember General Lane calling the President she back in season one. But who knows who the President was before her.
    As was mentioned earlier, Lynda Carter is the president on Supergirl's Earth.

Sandy Hausler

Astonishing Member

I'll have to re-watch it. Did they actually say Obama was President NOW in Black Lightning? I know they mentioned/alluded to him but it doesn't mean he's President NOW. I mean after all even now we get news clips on occasion with scenes from Obama's administration in real life.

I always stick to assuming that whoever's President in a series now is only one President off of real life. IE President Marsden just followed up after Obama on E-38. Or similarly followed Obama for the TWO Presidents we saw in the Invasion Crossover on E-1. (The shows are relatively clear about avoiding Trump as a President so far amusingly enough which changes the usual views a bit)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I wonder if Gambi does anything on the side. I refuse to believe a simple tailor will be in procession of that Hi-Tech display and advancements in Jeff's current suit.

I thought it was a nice touch that above the door to Gambi's shop it reads "Since 1977".

Watched it really liked it. The actor is in way better shape then he looks. Dudes chest is massive. That said the reason i think he looks akward its the way he hunces his neck down and carrys his head. And he has long ass arms but honeslty i got over that real quick. He great in the role and i like that hes got temper issues. I cheered when he blew up that cop car. Though those cops didnt do anything wrong he was walking away from a shooting but given everything leading up to it i get his frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Watched it really liked it. The actor is in way better shape then he looks. Dudes chest is massive. That said the reason i think he looks akward its the way he hunces his neck down and carrys his head. And he has long ass arms but honeslty i got over that real quick. He great in the role and i like that hes got temper issues. I cheered when he blew up that cop car. Though those cops didnt do anything wrong he was walking away from a shooting but given everything leading up to it i get his frustration.
    And as far was why hes a vigilante while other heroes are superheroes? Because him and GA kill people so they arr Vigilantes, flash and supergirl dont and if they do its not a normal person.

Edit: wtf this was one post. Somehow it split into two and quoted itself. Shits got a mind of its own i guess.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 01-18-2018 at 10:28 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    And as far was why hes a vigilante while other heroes are suoerheroes? Because him and GA kill people so they arr Vigilantes, flash and supergirl dont and if they do its not a normal person.

Edit: wtf this was one post. Somehow it split into two and quoted itself. Shits got a mind of its own i guess.
    I think he meant in terms of the social narrative

I mean putting on a costume and taking on crime makes you a vigilante whether you kill people or not

its still taking the law into your own hands