Page 27 of 119 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast
    www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

The Vice Principal can't have the D so she is coming after his J-O-B.

Book it.

In all seriousness i am sure it is more than that, but they are setting things up for her to take his job as his life continues to tumble out of control. I am sure Lynn will leave him permanently alone (or at least say she will) at some point. He will at first work with Nissa then they will fall out over his ways of trying to teach/protect her. Lynn seeks custody of Jennifer and gets it and he will be on the outs with Gambi for keeping both Whale and Nissa's stuff secret.

Retired

I guess things are going to get bad for some of the characters. But one thing they try to do in every episode is present some positive life lessons, so the show doesn't become a big downer. They want to leave people with some hope and good advice.

Of course no good deed goes unpunished. Last week we had a good sex education lesson, yet our young lovers never got their happy ending.

What I worry about, since the first episode, is that this plays into a narrative about black people in America that conservative politicians exploit for their own benefit. While, this is what's happening in real life it shouldn't represent every person of colour and make it seem like they are all doomed. If conservatives believe that all black folks are doomed, just like they think the same about gay people, then they can write them off as a lost cause and retreat to their safe white privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

What I worry about, since the first episode, is that this plays into a narrative about black people in America that conservative politicians exploit for their own benefit. While, this is what's happening in real life it shouldn't represent every person of colour and make it seem like they are all doomed. If conservatives believe that all black folks are doomed, just like they think the same about gay people, then they can write them off as a lost cause and retreat to their safe white privilege.
    That's going to happen regardless tho

Extraordinary Member

Yeah there's a fine line between great drama and darkly depressing and this show is riding the line. The Khalil situation is a little much, he's cut down with so much potential. And now this is becoming a story point to use against BL.

Whatever Eve was doing to that guy in the beginning was disgusting. Also not sure why Ajax lied to BL about the video footage and he goes to investigate himself for what??? The show is still good but hopefully it will lighten up. We already know about "reality" fiction shouldn't be restricted by it.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 02-07-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Anissa's story was the only plot that seemed a little less...grounded...than what this show has been trying to do. Although the whole thing with the Outsiders comic made me think of the Static Shock cartoon. In the first episode when Virgil is thinking about the whole costumed identity thing, Richie brings up Clark Kent (suggesting Superman is a fictional character they both know about). But then later Static meets and teams up with Superman!.
    Not sure what you mean here. Are you talking about her testing her new found powers? It is a superhero show when all is said and done. It's only going to be so "grounded". Thanfully.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

It sounds like Lady Eve and her "partners" are the ones who really run Freeland and they're just basically using Tobias as an enforcer. They were even the ones who put him in charge of The 100. Even Jefferson is starting to realize that there's more to The 100 then just another street gang.

So Tobias was a politician before he became a criminal? I guess we probably know why he wanted Jefferson's father dead for his reporting. I wonder if Black Lightning is the one who exposed him?

Black Lightning's "death" involved falling from a boat into the water? That never sticks.

I loved Jeff's facial reactions at the dinner table with everyone's opinions on Black Lightning. You could just see how awkward he felt when Henderson was talking about him, or incredulous at Lynn's response, and proud of Anissa for supporting him .

It can't be easy for Jefferson to see people he used to be close to like Lala or Two-Bit fall back into a life of crime because of their circumstances, even if Two-Bit didn't seem as bad as Lala. Though there certainly didn't seem to be any love-loss when Black Lightning comes in to bust some heads.

The Superhero busting up a seedy bar is such a classic moment .

I think Two-Bit wanting a selfie with Black Lightning is one of the most overtly humorous moments of the show so far .

Anissa's learned how to activate her powers but she still doesn't know quite how to control her own strength, since there's a fine-line between fighting crime and just hurting/killing people.

Gambi sure seems to be keeping secrets. First he hides that Whale is back and now he's keeping Jefferson out-of-the-loop about the possible new Metahuman prowling Freeland. I wonder what his goal is in keeping all of this from Jefferson?

I'm not surprised that the collateral damage is hitting Jefferson more then it did when he first started out since it seems to be getting closer to home compared to when he first started out.

Poor Khalil. At least Jefferson managed to save Bernard, at the expense of losing control over the school to the board, though Bernard still went and ended up OD'ing on Greenlight again. At least he's still got the chance to go back to school again once he really recovers.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Also not sure why Ajax lied to BL about the video footage and he goes to investigate himself for what??? The show is still good but hopefully it will lighten up. We already know about "reality" fiction shouldn't be restricted by it.
    He needs her shoe size for when he inevitably makes her costume.
    Last edited by Immortal Weapon; 02-07-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    He needs her shoe size so for when he inevitably makes her costume.
    Yeah, I'm expecting Gambi will figure out Anissa is a Meta before Jefferson does and suit her up as Thunder while he's still unaware.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    He needs her shoe size for when he inevitably makes her costume.

Good one lol.

Astonishing Member

Been tired so I haven't had a chance to really react over here about the new episode. Lots of fun once more.

I wonder if the show's ever going to address the whole easy access to guns thing the show is showing with all the gang kids? Probably not but I mean...like every single gang related kid seems to have one.

Love watching Grace and Anissa but it's amusing to remember that Anissa in the comics was the passive one in comparison to Grace. Though given her injuries and all I'm wondering if Grace is even aware Anissa has powers or not.

And while I appreciated the whole "Cops are putting black people into prison for NOTHING." bit, it rings a bit hollow when coming from a man who's literally peddling drugs that are killing kids. And who already has 2 strikes. But either way I at least get the situation since ultimately the cops aren't much better in Freeland and ultimately Jefferson DOES know Two-Bits.

Similarly I'm surprised at the dinner with Henderson that Anissa didn't outright point out that much like Henderson is complaining about folks caught in the crossfire of Black Lightning's actions the cops in real life (and likely here) aren't always all that much better, and we already know the cops are corrupt.

I do think it was amazingly messed up the way Jefferson referred to people dying as collateral damage. It's one of the few times I actually sorta agreed with Lynn.

I'm half expecting that Khalil's spine WILL heal and isn't severed and Whale just paid off Khalil's Doctors.

I do wonder if given Anissa LOVES Black Lightning's work that Jennifer will thanks to Whale's work with Khalil become the one who actually try to take Black Lightning down (not knowing he's her dad). Thunder and Black Lightning versus Lightning...

Also...is it jut me or does the show bring up and then just ignore the whole way Greenlight seems to give people superpowers? I mean Bernard tore off a urinal, threw it with enough force to crack it and had to have TWO lightning blasts to stay down... I know humans in real life can do some amazing things especially when not in control of their actions but...that just seemed like outright super strength.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post

Also...is it jut me or does the show bring up and then just ignore the whole way Greenlight seems to give people superpowers? I mean Bernard tore off a urinal, threw it with enough force to crack it and had to have TWO lightning blasts to stay down... I know humans in real life can do some amazing things especially when not in control of their actions but...that just seemed like outright super strength.
    PCP can have a similar effect it's not super powers. At least not in the comic book sense.

Retired

There seem to be a lot of neurological developments on this show. If only there was a character who was a scientist specializing in neurology . . .

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    And while I appreciated the whole "Cops are putting black people into prison for NOTHING." bit, it rings a bit hollow when coming from a man who's literally peddling drugs that are killing kids. And who already has 2 strikes. But either way I at least get the situation since ultimately the cops aren't much better in Freeland and ultimately Jefferson DOES know Two-Bits.
    And that hypocrisy is what the black community deals with. Those kind of attitudes. Oh they think we're all criminals, so we have to be criminals....grrrr.....I think its accurate and another light shined on it. I doubt it changes anyones minds but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    There seem to be a lot of neurological developments on this show. If only there was a character who was a scientist specializing in neurology . . .
    Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler? You need to be more specific for us folks not that familiar with all the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler? You need to be more specific for us folks not that familiar with all the characters.
    He's talking about Lynn.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store