Page 34 of 119 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I never expected them to give jefferson that sort of ability, so i don’t know why they bothered to introduce it.
    It's never really been a core ability. I was even kind of wondering how he was managing the leaps downwards from great heights without injuring himself, or at least really feeling it in his knees.

Of course, the TV version is able to do things like hold guys up in the air with his lightning while shocking them, so it wouldn't be too great of a stretch for him to maneuver himself along his lightning bolts, kind of like Lightning of the Three Storms from Big Trouble in Little China. It's definitely not just electricity, or at least not electricity like it works in the real world.

Retired

Jennifer's big mistake was lying to her parents about what happened at the roller rink. If she had just told them, they'd be prepared and could avoid any problems with the mothers (I like that the bad girl has two mothers--more diversity on this show).

However there are secrets and lies flying every which way in Freedland--so, when and if they all come out, I expect Jennifer to call everyone out on their hypocrisy. Both parents are lying to their kids about Black Lightning, Anissa is keeping her Thunder secret. Jefferson is lying to Gambi and Lynn about his headaches. Gambi is lying to Jefferson and Tobias and has a lot of other secrets. Lynn seems to have her own secrets that nobody knows about. Jefferson isn't telling Anissa something about his father. The father uncovered lies. Nobody is being truthful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Nobody is being truthful.
    Which makes it the perfect CW Superhero show .

Jennifer's big mistake was lying to her parents about what happened at the roller rink. If she had just told them, they'd be prepared and could avoid any problems with the mothers (I like that the bad girl has two mothers--more diversity on this show).

However there are secrets and lies flying every which way in Freedland--so, when and if they all come out, I expect Jennifer to call everyone out on their hypocrisy. Both parents are lying to their kids about Black Lightning, Anissa is keeping her Thunder secret. Jefferson is lying to Gambi and Lynn about his headaches. Gambi is lying to Jefferson and Tobias and has a lot of other secrets. Lynn seems to have her own secrets that nobody knows about. Jefferson isn't telling Anissa something about his father. The father uncovered lies. Nobody is being truthful.
    "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Jennifer never lied. She simply didn't tell them what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Jennifer never lied. She simply didn't tell them what happened.
    Which means that while they've taught her how to defend herself physically (hopefully with discussions prior to this one about when it is and is not appropriate to get physical and how it's almost always better to de-escalate or walk away unless someone is actively swinging at you), she somehow missed that essential component of social self-defense - CYA. She should have known that since word would get around to her parents eventually, it was in her own best interest to be the first one to tell them the story, so she could make sure they heard it right.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Which means that while they've taught her how to defend herself physically (hopefully with discussions prior to this one about when it is and is not appropriate to get physical and how it's almost always better to de-escalate or walk away unless someone is actively swinging at you), she somehow missed that essential component of social self-defense - CYA. She should have known that since word would get around to her parents eventually, it was in her own best interest to be the first one to tell them the story, so she could make sure they heard it right.
    I don't think telling her parents would have changed anything. At least not for Lynn.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I don't think telling her parents would have changed anything. At least not for Lynn.
    So Lynn was lying about what she was mad about (when she said the 'lying' by omission was the worst part)? And would have been fine with Jennifer letting the two girls jump her and beat her to a pulp?

Nah. She still would have been mad and insisted Jennifer should have just walked away, but not nearly as much so.

Retired

Sure it would have changed things, because it would have changed the timeline. The parents would know what happened and Jennifre's side of things. So they wouldn't be blindsided and Jennifer would have the advantage of getting her story out there first.

Would it have changed things for Lynn? Who knows. It depends what you assume about her character. If you think she's vindictive and only wants to undermine Jennifer, then maybe it wouldn't have changed anything for her. But it would have given Jennifer and Jefferson a better position from which to argue against that.

Control the things you can control. Jennifer gave up her control over her story and others were able to misrepresent the situation. That made her weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Which makes it the perfect CW Superhero show .
    All that's left is for the lead to call everyone else out for lying while harboring the biggest lie. In this respect, I thinkmBL is definitely on track.

I'm starting to lose interest in bit in this show though. Whale is really handcuffed by being on CW as opposed to some other network. He's soooo cheesy here.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    The Jay Garrick Earth could work, with the two being old friends/sometimes partners.
    It already reminded me *very slightly* of 1990s Flash, and the character of Nightshade; Having the Shipp Flash be Black Lightnings old associate would be a great parallel.

Astonishing Member

This was the first episode where I actually liked Whale. There is nothing better than giving a character motivation.

Jennifer is a hot mess that needs way more attention from both parents.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    This was the first episode where I actually liked Whale. There is nothing better than giving a character motivation.

Jennifer is a hot mess that needs way more attention from both parents.
    I'm curious how long it'll be before she starts exhibiting her powers.

Retired

You would think if Anissa is only showing her powers now, then Jennifer would have to wait until she was the same age for her powers to manifest. However, it seems like strong emotions and trauma are the trigger (maybe it was the death of Jefferson's father that made his powers appear). So Jennifer will have to be put through an emotional ringer to bring out her powers early. A.N.T. Farm is going to suffer a lot of misery.

Astonishing Member

You would think if Anissa is only showing her powers now, then Jennifer would have to wait until she was the same age for her powers to manifest. However, it seems like strong emotions and trauma are the trigger (maybe it was the death of Jefferson's father that made his powers appear). So Jennifer will have to be put through an emotional ringer to bring out her powers early. A.N.T. Farm is going to suffer a lot of misery.
    Jennifer is not on the path of being a hero.
    Anissa was already on the path of helping those that can't help themselves.

Getting real power, just made her more aggressive to make an impact.

When Jennifer faces hardship , she goes into rebellion mode.

I know I am hard on Jennifer, but really I just that Jefferson and Lynn are absentee parents. Too busy trying to be cool parents.