Page 55 of 119 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Static would be perfect for this show. A lot of milestone characters would.
    How would he be perfect for a show that largely is about the Pierce family?

Adding him (or another unrelated character) would make the show lose this great story cohesion it has.

Same thing happened to Arrow. That was a much better show before it transformed into a show about this ever growing band of vigilantes.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

Adding him (or another unrelated character) would make the show lose this great story cohesion it has.

Same thing happened to Arrow. That was a much better show before it transformed into a show about this ever growing band of vigilantes.
    As well as Flash and Supergirl. The producers feel the need to give them all these supporting characters. And then because they don't want theses actors to just sit around doing nothing when the main
    character is off doing their thing solo, the supporting characters end up getting all these side stories that have nothing to do with the main character. Even Black Lightning tends to do this as it is.
    Getting stories about Tobias and Gambi as filler for times Jefferson isn't on screen. So adding more big characters mean less time for the main character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    As well as Flash and Supergirl. The producers feel the need to give them all these supporting characters. And then because they don't want theses actors to just sit around doing nothing when the main
    character is off doing their thing solo, the supporting characters end up getting all these side stories that have nothing to do with the main character. Even Black Lightning tends to do this as it is.
    Getting stories about Tobias and Gambi as filler for times Jefferson isn't on screen. So adding more big characters mean less time for the main character.
    The counter argument is that a show benefits from having fully formed supporting characters and a complex world within which to operate.

That's a different thing than just adding characters for the purpose of selling toys and t-shirts, of course.

Ultimate Member

Lets not forget how said characters were lessened for the sake of the main character.

Mr. Terrific, uber bad ass in comics, will always be less than Ollie

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Lets not forget how said characters were lessened for the sake of the main character.

Mr. Terrific, uber bad ass in comics, will always be less than Ollie
    Or how many times they've screwed up Black Canary.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or how many times they've screwed up Black Canary.
    Yeah, that too.

I think a big problem with the DC series is that they insist that the main character be right by a large margin. Add too many supers to BL's cast and I fear the same thing will happen.

Yeah, that too.

I think a big problem with the DC series is that they insist that the main character be right by a large margin. Add too many supers to BL's cast and I fear the same thing will happen.
    I mean, I would think you'd usually expect the main character in a Superhero show to be on the "right" side more often then not if only because they're the main character, but you have to be careful about it lest it make the supporting cast look bad.

Or it could be the other way around where the supporting cast keeps harping on the hero being wrong even if the hero keeps making decisions with valid reasoning...which still makes the supporting cast look bad (looking at you New Team Arrow).

BANNED

Yeah, that too.

It feels a lot like that on Arrow and The Flash, Ollie and Barry are on the wrong side of things most of the time, and require an extensive supporting cast to badger them into doing the correct thing.

Mighty Member

It would be nice if Black Lightning and Static WASN'T a thing. Most people want them connected simply because they are the same race and have the same powers. Having them connected just cheapens them both. Let them stand alone please.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

It feels a lot like that on Arrow and The Flash, Ollie and Barry are on the wrong side of things most of the time, and require an extensive supporting cast to badger them into doing the correct thing.

It's kind of an odd mixture of the two. The writers to a degree understand Barry and Ollie are screw ups but at times it feels like they don't truly understand the magnitudes of these two's actions and eventually their friends forgive them no matter how horrendous they are.

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    It would be nice if Black Lightning and Static WASN'T a thing. Most people want them connected simply because they are the same race and have the same powers. Having them connected just cheapens them both. Let them stand alone please.
    That is true to a certain extent. But people do like to see characters that are similar work together. Batman and Green Arrow. Superman and Supergirl. Flash and Kid Flash. Captain Cold and Heatwave.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    In serial fiction, I would agree.

But I think, after BL's had a good run, the last season could/should be him handing off the baton to Static

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's kind of an odd mixture of the two. The writers to a degree understand Barry and Ollie are screw ups but at times it feels like they don't truly understand the magnitudes of these two's actions and eventually their friends forgive them no matter how horrendous they are.
    Yeah, agreed. I still have trouble with Barry for his actions during Flashpoint. He basically took a shotgun to the lives of his friends.

Retired

I don't blame Barry. I blame Thawne or the Speed Force itself, but not Barry who was a victim of both. There was no intent on his part to make things worse (and I'm not sure his actions made things worse than they had already been). If there was some cosmic rule that said he shouldn't do these things--then he should have been told that. No Guardians of the Universe or Spectre swooped in to explain the rules to him and why he couldn't try to fix the timeline that had already been screwed up by Eobard/Speed Force.

Barry and Ollie are usually on the right side. It's the other characters who yell at them constantly and shift all the blame onto them, while not taking responsibility for their own mistakes (Felicity, Cisco)--those are the characters that bug me the most. Barry and Ollie have some plot induced stupidity but not as much as their supporting cast members.

Supergirl is probably the worst for shifting blame onto her supporting cast. She's constantly contradicting herself and telling others not to do the things that she does.

Incredible Member