Page 8 of 119 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

I had literally no idea there was a song with "Black Lightning is Back" as lyrics. I have to track this song down .

So does Inspector Henderson know his buddy Jefferson Pierce is also the vigilante he used to hunt back in the day? I guess we'll probably see this addressed once Henderson realizes Black Lightning is back.

Henderson said the officers who harassed Jefferson didn't seem like one of his, so I wonder if they were from another department or if there's more going on there then your typical racist cops?

Did they really have Henderson say "Fake News?" That would've been so ironic had this stayed on Fox .

So Jefferson first became Black Lightning for revenge against Tobias Whale but then eventually started shifting his mission to fighting general crime and other crime bosses. Reminds me a bit of Oliver's journey as Green Arrow.

It's not often we start a Superhero show with the hero already well established and even retired, rather then showcasing their origin or them in their prime. It makes me wonder if they'll ever have flashbacks to Jefferson's origin or "Black Lightning Year One" at some point.

You can definitely tell there's still a spark and chemistry between Jefferson and Lynn, though I imagine Jefferson becoming Black Lightning again is going to drive a wedge between them like it did when they were married.

So what should we call Black Lightning's secret lair in the downstairs of Gambi's store? "The Parlor?" "The Lightning Cave?"

The fact that Gambi still has Jefferson's old suit (which is basically the modern Black Lightning look from the comics) leaves me to think we'll eventually see something happen to Jefferson's armor that forces him back into his "classic" duds or someone else (Anissa?) will probably grab it at some point.

I like that you can easily distinguish Jefferson when he's Jefferson and Jefferson when he's Black Lightning. He acts really different in both identities. I also like that his goggles can mask his eyes and he can juice up his voice so no one recognizes it .

Tobias said he killed Black Lightning, so what exactly happened? Was that the mission Jefferson took that broke his promise to Lynn and ended their marriage? Did Tobias beat him so badly that Jefferson had to retire for good?

Anissa already seems to be demonstrating her powers and given there was already a promotional image of her in full-on costume as Thunder, I'm guessing she'll be suiting-up sooner rather then later. Makes me curious to see how long it'll be before Jennifer starts exhibiting her powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Havent got to watch it yet. Dudes a C list Albino rapper, but none that matters. Can he act?
    He seemed pretty solid in what little we heard of him in the end of the episode. Certainly seems to have an imposing figure to him.

Enjoyed this first episode a lot, like how the villains are more menacing in this show, the tone of this show feels even darker than Arrow. When Jefferson and that other teacher was talking I heard her mention Lady Eve and Jefferson said "I've met her already", waiting to see how Jill Scot is gonna pull her off. This is my new favorite show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    There was a brief mention of other people fighting crime in other cities, but nothing specific.

But so far, it really is a good episode, especially for a series premier. Half expecting him mentioning working with a guy in a bat costume though, lol.
    They may not have given names but they said people with powers in other cities are heroes but when black lightening does it he is a vigilante.

I honestly think this show could still be apart of the arrowverese just not earth 1. Supergirl is considered part of the arrowverse but is not in the same actual universe. This show could be like that. Hell they can make it a part of their earth 3 which I believed is the designation of the Jay Garrick Flash. or one of the other 50+ known universes in the multiverse

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
    Well in my opinion he seems to be perfect for the role ,He gives off the vibe of a true badass.
    Well i cant speak for him cauae i dont know much about him but if his pre rap life is anything like another member of Strong arm ready Mitchly SlicK. Then its not an act but yea physically hes pefect for the role curious to see if hes a passable actor

Totally love this show. Just watched the pilot a second time, something I didn't do with the other Arrowverse shows.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Retired

I'm fine with TV shows and movies being their own thing. That's how it used to be with the DC comic books. And yet the comics were sometimes seen to be in the same universe--they just didn't push it hard. However, I don't see any reason to announce at a comic-con or on tweeter that the shows don't exist in the same multiverse. Arguably, everything exists in the multiverse--that's the whole idea.

The thing that stops BLACK LIGHTNING from fitting on the SUPERGIRL Earth is the president. It's hard to imagine that Lynda Carter is the president in the Jefferson Pierce timeline. Otherwise, I wouldn't question it, as DC fictional cities are each allowed to have their own flavour--they're almost like mini-universes. And on the show they said that other cities have their own super-heroes.

If the pilot for ARROW had come out after BLACK LIGHTNING, then we'd probably be saying that ARROW is too grounded to exist in the same universe. Because originally on ARROW there weren't any metahumans that we knew of. It's only as ARROW has gone along that it's become quite outlandish.

And on ARROW, the super-heroes are also vigilantes--some of them African-American--hunted by the police. It's only LEGENDS OF TOMORROW and THE FLASH where the diverse super-heroes are given some respect by law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    Enjoyed this first episode a lot, like how the villains are more menacing in this show, the tone of this show feels even darker than Arrow. When Jefferson and that other teacher was talking I heard her mention Lady Eve and Jefferson said "I've met her already", waiting to see how Jill Scot is gonna pull her off. This is my new favorite show.
    I wonder if she's still going to be involved with Kobra.

I'm okay Black Lightning having it's own Earth. It could possibly fit on Earth-38 with Supergirl and Superman. It would explain the Roland Martin comment. But it looks like there was a Barack Obama in Black Lightning, and I'm not sure about that in Supergirl. I think I remember General Lane calling the President she back in season one. But who knows who the President was before her.

Quote Originally Posted by RyDub View Post
    They may not have given names but they said people with powers in other cities are heroes but when black lightening does it he is a vigilante.

I honestly think this show could still be apart of the arrowverese just not earth 1. Supergirl is considered part of the arrowverse but is not in the same actual universe. This show could be like that. Hell they can make it a part of their earth 3 which I believed is the designation of the Jay Garrick Flash. or one of the other 50+ known universes in the multiverse
    The Jay Garrick Earth could work, with the two being old friends/sometimes partners.

I do understand the reasoning for letting people know in advance that Black Lightning is currently separate from the other shows. For me, I find the other shows a little to campy. From what I read in all the reviews out there, there are many who appreciate the divergence from the formula of the other existing shows.

Like not too long ago, I tuned back in to Legends and it was the episode about the talking blue teddy bear and some vikings. It reminded me why I stopped watching the first time.

Flash...I can still allow myself to enjoy it, but I never feel like it carries any weight. I think I just grew tired of the team Arrow and team Flash stuff with villain of the week. Hearing that Black Lightning was going to a grounded, more real-world approach resonated with me. As a fan of the character I was going to watch it anyway, but what I saw made me proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    I do understand the reasoning for letting people know in advance that Black Lightning is currently separate from the other shows. For me, I find the other shows a little to campy. From what I read in all the reviews out there, there are many who appreciate the divergence from the formula of the other existing shows.

Like not too long ago, I tuned back in to Legends and it was the episode about the talking blue teddy bear and some vikings. It reminded me why I stopped watching the first time.

Flash...I can still allow myself to enjoy it, but I never feel like it carries any weight. I think I just grew tired of the team Arrow and team Flash stuff with villain of the week. Hearing that Black Lightning was going to a grounded, more real-world approach resonated with me. As a fan of the character I was going to watch it anyway, but what I saw made me proud.
    But that was one of the best epiosdes. Marvel at the awesome power of Beebo .

Honestly, if there's anything I've learned about the Arrowverse is that pretty much every new show in it has diverged from what's perceived as the "formula" to some degree.

I mean, I'd be surprised if Jefferson, Gambi, and Thunder and Lightning don't form some kind of crime-fighting team akin to the other Arrowverse groups.

Just watched it and thought it was utter garbage. I was expecting a superhero show and got 'Boyz In The Hood' instead. Cress Williams tries way to hard at being angry all the time and trying to be a hard @ss. When he is Black Lightning, his costume makes him look like John Candy wearing his parka in 'Planes, Trains, and Automobiles'. Much to bulky. The flashes when he punches people is stupid looking. It was also laughable that his own daughters cant recognize him when he's in costume even though his beard and facial features are staring right at them. Lastly, I thought it was a nice touch when he blasted the innocent white guy that came to the door to see what was going on. Oh well, i'm just glad there's other things to watch on Tuesdays.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I liked it enough to make sure I’ve got next week’s recorded.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    Just watched it and thought it was utter garbage. I was expecting a superhero show and got 'Boyz In The Hood' instead. Cress Williams tries way to hard at being angry all the time and trying to be a hard @ss. When he is Black Lightning, his costume makes him look like John Candy wearing his parka in 'Planes, Trains, and Automobiles'. Much to bulky. The flashes when he punches people is stupid looking. It was also laughable that his own daughters cant recognize him when he's in costume even though his beard and facial features are staring right at them. Lastly, I thought it was a nice touch when he blasted the innocent white guy that came to the door to see what was going on. Oh well, i'm just glad there's other things to watch on Tuesdays.
    I-----you know what...I got nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    Lastly, I thought it was a nice touch when he blasted the innocent white guy that came to the door to see what was going on.
    Given the nature of the establishment I'd be willing to bet money that the dude was there tricking, which is illegal.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.