Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Simon Pegg has confirmed JJ told him he had plans for who Rey's parents were and Rian threw all that out when writing TLJ.
    And Daisy Ridley confirmed that the current lineage was the plan all along.

Who you gonna believe?

The star or the one-off background actor?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Who you gonna believe?

I don't maybe the one who doesn't have a contract or incentive to tow the company line and also given JJ spent a lot of time asking the question who was Rey's parents and why did they leave her in Force Awakens yeah I'm going with Simon Pegg.

I don't maybe the one who doesn't have a contract or incentive to tow the company line and also given JJ spent a lot of time asking the question who was Rey's parents and why did they leave her in Force Awakens yeah I'm going with Simon Pegg.
    Daisy's seen the full script. Simon didn't. I don't think she'd lie about it. Just not talk about it.

That said, I don't think Pegg is lying either.

A swerve in EP 8 can easily be done to save the reveal for 9. I kinda think that will be the case.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Pegg's quote was that he knew what had been kicked around, and then later said that other than his scenes he was only involved early on with some ideas so that what he says in no way no way contradicts the finished product of the film. Especially when you take into consideration what JJ said after the film came out, that identities of Rey's parents were obvious, all in the film and that it fit the themes of the films. So it's easy to see that things changed from the early idea stage that Pegg was involved with the film for the simple reasoning I gave when the film came out and again now: what about any of the fan theories(Obi-Wan's long lost grand daughter, Luke's daughter or Palpatine's daughter) fit those criteria?

The answer we got in the Last Jedi is the only answer that fits what JJ said.

Astonishing Member

Who you gonna believe?

Well, I'm not trying to debate who Rey's parents are. I am just here to establish that Abrams had clear idea's concerning their identities and TFA drew attention to it. Now, he most likely did this just to set up intrigue in Rey. As this thread can attest, it clearly worked.

We all need to take what is reported at face value. One person's confirmation is anothers contradiction. Pegg's comments aren't necessarily wrong. He is just stating that Abrams had a clear idea about who her parents were. Daisy is also correct in her assumption that what was revealed in TLJ is, at present, true. However that can still change.

We must remember that Rian was made privy to what Abrams had envisaged. We also know he decided to not include any ideas that were present in those documents in his script for TLJ. Following the release of the film, Rian stated on numerous occasions that there is still wriggle room for her parentage to change. That it isn't entirely set in stone. Given Abrams is handling Episode 9, I expect more than a few twists. Rey's parents, potentially, being one of them.

I don't really care either way. I just prefer to wait until episode 9 is done and dusted. It is the only way to be certain.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 04-06-2018 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Well, I'm not trying to debate who Rey's parents are. I am just here to establish that Abrams had clear idea's concerning their identities and TFA drew attention to it. Now, he most likely did this just to set up intrigue in Rey. As this thread can attest, it clearly worked.

We all need to take what is reported at face value. One person's confirmation is anothers contradiction. Pegg's comments aren't necessarily wrong. He is just stating that Abrams had a clear idea about who her parents were. Daisy is also correct in her assumption that what was revealed in TLJ is, at present, true. However that can still change.

We must remember that Rian was made privy to what Abrams had envisaged. We also know he decided to not include any ideas that were present in those documents in his script for TLJ. Following the release of the film, Rian stated on numerous occasions that there is still wriggle room for her parentage to change. That it isn't entirely set in stone. Given Abrams is handling Episode 9, I expect more than a few twists. Rey's parents, potentially, being one of them.

I don't really care either way. I just prefer to wait until episode 9 is done and dusted. It is the only way to be certain.
    Well ... vvvv
    Daisy's seen the full script. Simon didn't. I don't think she'd lie about it. Just not talk about it.

That said, I don't think Pegg is lying either.

A swerve in EP 8 can easily be done to save the reveal for 9. I kinda think that will be the case.

Who you gonna believe?

Simon Pegg isn't just a background actor, he's friend of JJ's. His scenes were also filmed very early on in production.

But also keep in mind how TFA was developed. It started with a writer's room with Lawerence Kasdan, Michael Arndt and Simon Kinberg. That was before JJ came onboard and the majority of the story they came up with was tossed out. According to Kinberg, they mapped out Episodes 7-9 (link).

JJ took over as writer when Arndt left and the script entirely changed. There's rumors at the point, the character who became Rey (then called Kira) was a Skywalker but there's no proof since none of the writers involved are going admit it. It's entirely possible that JJ wasn't sure which direction they would go and the original direction was likely very different than what Rian ended up doing.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 04-09-2018 at 07:44 PM.