Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    BANNED

being Lukes kid is too obvious, dont think shes Leias or Hans

I think she's some clone of Obi Wan, maybe put on ice, given to someone to raise

I think almost any other answer that makes sense is better then the answer we got, I would have liked if she was the daughter of Erza and Sabine, making her a Jedi and mandorian ! But her being Luke's daughter but also Obi wans grand daughter would have been nice too. Hell her being a failed clone of Luke from his severed hand would have been awesome too. But no the answer we got was something that pretty much anyone could have thought of at a bar.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I want Rey to be a completely new character without any links to any other characters.
    Sometimes you get exactly what you want...

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by devil leonx View Post
    I think almost any other answer that makes sense is better then the answer we got, I would have liked if she was the daughter of Erza and Sabine, making her a Jedi and mandorian ! But her being Luke's daughter but also Obi wans grand daughter would have been nice too. Hell her being a failed clone of Luke from his severed hand would have been awesome too. But no the answer we got was something that pretty much anyone could have thought of at a bar.
    Why does she have to be linked to an existing character to explain her force abilities? Not all Jedi and Sith sprang from a single ancestor, anyone in the galaxy can use the force, all those Jedi in the prequels had to come from somewhere.

That's probably the beauty of the answer and her playing off of Luke, Luke is a nobody who as it turns out is two kinds of royalty as much as he doesn't like it. Rey is a nobody who turns out is exactly what she was expecting as much as she doesn't want to believe it. But at the end of the day she like Luke is important because of what she does, not her bloodline.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I don't see how people still think that Kylo was lying.

He did not lie. It was said by Rey herself who had hidden it away. Hoping against hope that she wasn't really abandoned. She said they were nobody before Kylo completed her words in a chastising way to break that illusory hope.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-24-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Why does she have to be linked to an existing character to explain her force abilities? Not all Jedi and Sith sprang from a single ancestor, anyone in the galaxy can use the force, all those Jedi in the prequels had to come from somewhere.

That's probably the beauty of the answer and her playing off of Luke, Luke is a nobody who as it turns out is two kinds of royalty as much as he doesn't like it. Rey is a nobody who turns out is exactly what she was expecting as much as she doesn't want to believe it. But at the end of the day she like Luke is important because of what she does, not her bloodline.
    I think the the problem is two-fold some people feel that she doesn't struggle or fail. Now that's as debatable as anything. The perception people who have this problem though think she is basically able to know and do everything automatically. the other problem people have is the way they set up the mystery. They specifically used the force is strong in my family speech when they first introduced her. So the trailers from TFA set up the idea that she had a connection which was only strengthened by having Luke's lightsaber call out to her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    So the trailers from TFA set up the idea that she had a connection which was only strengthened by having Luke's lightsaber call out to her.
    Trailers are generally not made by people who had anything to do with making the movie.

Trailers lie. Trailers manipulate. Trailers mix and match various scenes and lines of dialogue together in a way that often does not represent the film. Sometimes most of the trailer footage and iconic lines from the trailer don't even end up in the film.

Trailers are generally not made by people who had anything to do with making the movie.

Trailers lie. Trailers manipulate. Trailers mix and match various scenes and lines of dialogue together in a way that often does not represent the film. Sometimes most of the trailer footage and iconic lines from the trailer don't even end up in the film.
    Fair enough but it isn't just trailers. They intentionally made Rey's parentage a mystery in TFA and foreshadowed a connection with the lightsaber that belonged to both Anakin and Luke calling out to her. Maz pointing out how long it's been there and not calling to anyone else.

BANNED

Fair enough but it isn't just trailers. They intentionally made Rey's parentage a mystery in TFA...
    Highly subjective. Her parents were unknown, but I didn't get that there was this big mystery about their identity.

...and foreshadowed a connection with the lightsaber that belonged to both Anakin and Luke calling out to her. Maz pointing out how long it's been there and not calling to anyone else.
    She's like Anakin, sort of created by the Force, as a balance to Kylo Ren. There hasn't been anybody else for the Lightsaber to call out to.

Highly subjective. Her parents were unknown, but I didn't get that there was this big mystery about their identity.

She's like Anakin, sort of created by the Force, as a balance to Kylo Ren. There hasn't been anybody else for the Lightsaber to call out to.
    Maybe but I would argue that the real answer doesn't have the right amount of foreshadowing for the subversion to work for some.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    She doesn't--and if that's the case, I wish they wouldn't have made such a big deal about her mysterious origin in the first one.

The answer is perfectly logical, it's just the presentation that left viewers disappointed.

Fair enough but it isn't just trailers. They intentionally made Rey's parentage a mystery in TFA and foreshadowed a connection with the lightsaber that belonged to both Anakin and Luke calling out to her. Maz pointing out how long it's been there and not calling to anyone else.
    That totally was built up in TFA, no question.

And that's pretty much how most people took it considering the endless discussions it spawned.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by devil leonx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    That totally was built up in TFA, no question.

And that's pretty much how most people took it considering the endless discussions it spawned.
    And for as many people who kept on speculating that she was related to this jedi or the other there were those who said," You're just building yourselves up to be disappointed because every suggestion made sounds like pure fan wank and the end result will be that she's just some girl from a back water planet with no secret heritage"

The level of speculation from some members of fandom was just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    She doesn't--and if that's the case, I wish they wouldn't have made such a big deal about her mysterious origin in the first one.

The answer is perfectly logical, it's just the presentation that left viewers disappointed.
    This ^. It's not that she's a nobody people have a problem with. It's that the answer comes out of left field. I won't say theories don't play a part because they do. This is partially a problem of having two different directors. I say partially because I'm sure there are details they don't know. Why is there all that hinting for her having a connection if there is none? Why is there no hinting to the actual answer. It comes off as confusing and inconsistent.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This ^. It's not that she's a nobody people have a problem with. It's that the answer comes out of left field. I won't say theories don't play a part because they do. This is partially a problem of having two different directors. I say partially because I'm sure there are details they don't know. Why is there all that hinting for her having a connection if there is none? Why is there no hinting to the actual answer. It comes off as confusing and inconsistent.
    Out of no where? It's the speculation that was out of left field.