Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    Honestly, I don't care. Rey was such a flat, boring character to me in TFA that her backstory doesn't hold any sway over me.
    Ouch. That's harsh
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    Leia did say to Han that only his father could get through to Ben, why did she not say "Only you can?"
    To make it super-explicit for the people in the backrow making out and not paying a lot of attention that Han is his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    To make it super-explicit for the people in the backrow making out and not paying a lot of attention that Han is his dad.
    The exact exchange was:

Han: "If Luke couldn't reach him, how could I?"

Leia: "Luke is a Jedi. You're his father."

So, it sounds like she's emphasizing the familial relations since she needs to convince Han that he can do it because of that connection, not hit the audience over the head with it.

Shmi Skywalker reborn so she can redeem the name of the Skywalker

Thanks Weblurker I must have been in that backrow at the time, ah well near enough but no cigar for me.
    Hail Hydra!

Luke COULD be the father and not even know it. Perhaps he had a 'fling', the mom had Rey and dropped her off, ran away, all the while Luke has no clue. That would at least make him not a 'deadbeat Dad'. although you'd have to wonder he wouldn't know/feel this through the Force.

I also wonder at the very end of the movie, the pain/regret he has on his face, if it's because he DOES know Rey, or if it's just an, "Aww, dangit! They found Me! And now I'm gonna get sucked back in!" kinda thing.

For JJ and others to say "it's obvious" and all that, I think it's a diversion, personally. And while there's obviously a connection between Rey and Han (and sort of even Leia), I seriously doubt she's his or their kid, as if you had a daughter taken from you, wouldn't you wonder if Rey was theirs? If she was Han's and another woman's kid, the other woman must be a jedi since Han has no Jedi blood in him. But if she's Han & Leia's kid, then it makes sense somewhat. But still, it feels too convenient and forced, etc... I would like to hope it's not anyone obvious, and it's like Mon Mothma's lovechild or something random, and not sibling of the big 3 somehow.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

I WANT her parents to be Han & Leia, as she's basically Jaina Solo (who I really like.) However, that's not very likely to happen so if she's Luke's daughter then I'd be ok with that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Luke COULD be the father and not even know it. Perhaps he had a 'fling', the mom had Rey and dropped her off, ran away, all the while Luke has no clue. That would at least make him not a 'deadbeat Dad'. although you'd have to wonder he wouldn't know/feel this through the Force.
    Frankly, based on the evidence we've been given so far, that seems to be the only way that Rey being Luke's daughter would be plausible.

I also wonder at the very end of the movie, the pain/regret he has on his face, if it's because he DOES know Rey, or if it's just an, "Aww, dangit! They found Me! And now I'm gonna get sucked back in!" kinda thing.
    I'm sure that the new movie will address that in some way or another.

For JJ and others to say "it's obvious" and all that, I think it's a diversion, personally. And while there's obviously a connection between Rey and Han (and sort of even Leia), I seriously doubt she's his or their kid, as if you had a daughter taken from you, wouldn't you wonder if Rey was theirs? If she was Han's and another woman's kid, the other woman must be a jedi since Han has no Jedi blood in him. But if she's Han & Leia's kid, then it makes sense somewhat. But still, it feels too convenient and forced, etc... I would like to hope it's not anyone obvious, and it's like Mon Mothma's lovechild or something random, and not sibling of the big 3 somehow.
    Makes sense.

What if she's a ... clone?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

Leia and Han Solo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I don't see this. I just don't think they would have BOTH Kylo AND Rey the children of Han and Leia.
    I doubt it too. If its a generational story, and its considered a Skywalker Saga too boot, there's a huge disconnect in having two Solo's and no Skywalkers. Yes, technically any child of Han and Leia has Skywalker blood in them from Leia, but thematically its just not the same.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Rey had to be a Skywalker (or a Solo) but related to Luke or Leia. Otherwise, the entire Skywalker solo - the last 6 films - are for nothing. Anakin's redemption accomplishes nothing. Luke and Leia are failures. Their lives meant nothing. Anakin helps the Emperor destroy the Galaxy and after his redemption, Leia gives birth to his replacement and Luke runs off to some island to live as a hermit.

If the story is that Rey Random or Rey Kenobi and she cleans up the mess the Skywalkers made- then what does that mean for the Original Trilogy?

This isn't my take on the situation - it's directly from my brother who's more of a casual fan and not ranting on message boards. But he feels very very strongly on Star Wars being about the Skywalkers and Episode 7 making Luke and Leia look tremendously bad.

When the prequels came out, there was a mixed reaction to Episode I. People disliked Jar Jar but they weren't totally against the entire prequel trilogy. That happened after Episode II when the story of Anakin became ridiculously lame and it was making his fall look far less compelling than what people thought it would be when watching the Original Trilogy. Reaction to the Sequel Trilogy could go either way when Episode 8 comes out. With Carrie gone and no Leia in Episode 9, her story is over.

Anakin was redeemed by his son and daughter. Luke and Leia need to be be redeemed by a relative, not a random other person. And if Rey ends up to be Ezra's kid I will swear off all Star Wars forever because he's more annoying than Jar Jar.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 05-24-2017 at 10:12 AM.

I'm fairly certain Rey will be Luke's daughter in the end.

- They used part of the Force (Luke's) Theme in her cue and the start of Rey's Theme, it also harmonizes with the Force Theme
    - She's innately strong in the Force like Anakin (pod-racing as a child) and Luke (Death Star shot and Force pull in the wampa cave) in high stress situations
    - She's a gifted pilot
    - Mechanically inclined (all Skywalker's have been shown dinking around before the start of "the Quest")
    - She dreams of where Luke's hiding (Kylo pull's it out during the interrogation)

Having Rey be Luke's daughter also could lead to:
    - Giving Snoke a good in to turn Ben
    - Ben being jealous of Rey from a young age, making his shocked reaction to confirming that "it is her" have a purpose
    - Ben having had a change of heart during the massacre, saved Rey, and banished her. Gives him yet another opportunity to prove to Snoke he's a bad mama jama. Also makes Luke not a deadbeat dad. I mean, Vader didn't know he had a son right away, either ...
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 05-24-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I'm fairly certain Rey will be Luke's daughter in the end.

- They used part of the Force (Luke's) Theme in her cue and the start of Rey's Theme, it also harmonizes with the Force Theme
    - She's innately strong in the Force like Anakin (pod-racing as a child) and Luke (Death Star shot and Force pull in the wampa cave) in high stress situations
    - She's a gifted pilot
    - Mechanically inclined (all Skywalker's have been shown dinking around before the start of "the Quest")
    - She dreams of where Luke's hiding (Kylo pull's it out during the interrogation)

Having Rey be Luke's daughter also could lead to:
    - Giving Snoke a good in to turn Ben
    - Ben being jealous of Rey from a young age, making his shocked reaction to confirming that "it is her" have a purpose
    - Ben having had a change of heart during the massacre, saved Rey, and banished her. Gives him yet another opportunity to prove to Snoke he's a bad mama jama. Also makes Luke not a deadbeat dad. I mean, Vader didn't know he had a son right away, either ...
    Yeah, I agree. I'm hoping her father is Luke, but who knows what they're planning.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    - Ben being jealous of Rey from a young age...
    Ben's about 15 years older than her. Rey wasn't around yet when Ben was young.