Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    You mean the weapon that carries the weight of the legacy passed from father to son, now to daughter, pretty much the through-story-arc symbol of the entire franchise.
    Yeah why would they focus on that?
    The weapon he has lost in ESB and didn't give a **** about since then? Ah yeah, must be that one.
    You really going to ignore how he lost it, who he lost it to, the incredibly powerful symbolism, weight; physical and mental scars that saber carries.
    And pretend it means nothing? Arguably the most powerful symbol in the franchise, means nothing to be brought back to him now, by (what was telegraphed and potentially could be) his own daughter?
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-02-2022 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    You really going to ignore how he lost it, who he lost it to, the incredibly powerful symbolism, weight; physical and mental scars that saber carries.
    And pretend it means nothing? Arguably the most powerful symbol in the franchise, means nothing to be brought back to him now, by his own daughter?
    It's kind of hard to read Luke's expression at the end of the movie, so goodness knows what's going on in his head.

Also, it has yet to be proved that Rey is his daughter. I think the script indicated that he has some idea of who she is and what she's doing there, but no specifics on how much he knows about her identity (e.g. does he know her name and biography, or just that she's a Force-user who was going to cross paths with him.)

I'm a bit torn. On one hand I feel you have to make Luke the father because of all the emphasis on the Lightsaber. It was also my original guess so my bias might be playing a part. On the other hand you have to ask why he would leave her behind. I'd also like to know how Maz got that thing.

BANNED

I feel that the lightsaber being Luke's is not going to be important. What I think is going to be important about it is that it was both Anakin's and briefly Darth Vader's lightsaber, making it an artifact of both the Light and the Dark side.

BANNED

I think they;re rewriting the chosen one thing, and it Rey not Anakin.

BANNED

Based on what?

Mind you, the whole Chosen One thing was one of the worst written bits of the Prequels. It was never made clear what "bringing balance to the Force" meant exactly, and Lucas seems to have had different ideas about that at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapha8 View Post
    I think they;re rewriting the chosen one thing, and it Rey not Anakin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Based on what?

Mind you, the whole Chosen One thing was one of the worst written bits of the Prequels. It was never made clear what "bringing balance to the Force" meant exactly, and Lucas seems to have had different ideas about that at different times.
    As I understand it, there are roughly four interpretations of how that worked.

A.) Anakin Skywalker was the Chosen One and fulfilled the prophecy in Return of the Jedi by killing the Emperor and repenting from the dark side ("You were supposed to destroy the Sith, not join them. You were supposed to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness"). Historically, this has been the model that LucasFilm has operated under.

B.) Anakin was the Chosen One, but his fall to the dark side disqualified him, leading Luke to take the role instead, fulfilling it by being the catalyst of the Emperor's death and Vader's redemption in Return of the Jedi. As far as I can tell, this has been primarily fan speculation.

C.) Anakin was the Chosen One. The fulfillment of the prophecy was supposed to be in the Clone Wars Mortis episodes, where he was supposed to replace the Father as the person who kept balance between the Son (who manifested the dark side) and the Daughter (who manifested the light) rather than letting one or the other become more powerful. His failure to do that (and the deaths of all three Ones) lead to the prophecy being unfulfilled with no chance of rectifying that. I haven't seen the episodes, so I'm not sure if they only implied this or if it was actually stated in the show proper.

D.) Anakin was never the Chosen One in the first place ("A prophecy that misread could have been). If so, there's no evidence who is or was, whether it be Luke per a variation of model B or someone else.

I'd be a little surprised if Rey turns out to be a chosen one type. First of all, the "last hope" in TFA is finding and bringing Luke Skywalker back. I get the feeling that Rey, while she may have been chosen by the Force, so to speak, and thus as a bright future and to be an important person in the grand scheme of things, isn't a figure of myth, so to speak. Also, the most official models of the Chosen One prophecy (models A and C) all assume that Anakin was the Chosen One, regardless of whether the prophecy itself was fulfilled or not.

I also think that a lot of theories that put Rey in this role assume that she's a reincarnation of Anakin, which doesn't make a lot of sense; reincarnation has never been a part of Star Wars. Canon's current word is that death makes people become part of the Force (kind like nirvana in Buddhist theology, I guess) in a "netherworld." However, Force uses can potentially learn how to preserve their identities beyond death, to be Force ghosts (I guess a bit like Judeo-Christian theology, where a person's soul, thus their identity, live on after death). Anakin went the latter route after death, so, unless the rest of the trilogy pulls a rabbit out of their hat, his story has been set. (Also, recall that early treatments for TFA had Kylo Ren speaking to Anakin's Force ghost, a theory that's still being knocked around online.)
    Last edited by WebLurker; 08-07-2017 at 11:13 AM.

BANNED

I like E: Anakin was the Chosen One, and he fulfilled the prophecy halfway through Episode III. Where there was once an army of Jedi and two Sith they were now equalised: two of each, both sides of the force in balance.
    "A prophecy that misread could have been" indeed.

Of course Yoda and Obi-Wan then unbalanced it again almost immediately by going into hiding for 20 years, giving the Dark Side free reign.

I like E: Anakin was the Chosen One, and he fulfilled the prophecy halfway through Episode III. Where there was once an army of Jedi and two Sith they were now equalised: two of each, both sides of the force in balance.
    "A prophecy that misread could have been" indeed.

Of course Yoda and Obi-Wan then unbalanced it again almost immediately by going into hiding for 20 years, giving the Dark Side free reign.
    Thing is, Ben and Yoda weren't the only surviving Jedi.

BANNED

Vader and Palps weren't the only surviving Darksiders either, but as far as the movies are concerned, it was just these four guys. Two versus two.

BANNED

Based on what?

That my point. The prequels stated that Anakin is the chosen one, then jump to him not being it. I really not sure if Anakin is the chosen one. There nothing saying point blank that yes he is. It could be Rey because Anakin never bring balance to the Force, there still darkness. Now it Rey turn. If she fail it will jump to someone else until the Force is balance.

Vader and Palps weren't the only surviving Darksiders either, but as far as the movies are concerned, it was just these four guys. Two versus two.
    The franchise is more than just the movies these days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The franchise is more than just the movies these days.
    Honestly, the whole thing is such a mess that I doubt they are ever going to even mention that prophecy again.

BANNED

Honestly, the whole thing is such a mess that I doubt they are ever going to even mention that prophecy again.
    Wait. Are you saying there is a problem with Star Wars?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rapha8 View Post
    Wait. Are you saying there is a problem with Star Wars?