Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Double standard with Batman

Hi everyone. First im not a Bruce hater. Is really difficult to dislike a character that has been around for so much time and was portrayed in a lot of ways, so i like some portrayals and dislike others
    That said, Injustice, or injustass, as i like to call it, put me in a bad mood, because i think there is some double standard . I hear several times the argument that corrupted superman works better because if its Bruce theo one who goes rogue, the league would crush him easily. But we are talking about the guy that have plans of contingency to take down ALL THE LEAGUE, sometimes to a ridiculous degree. He going evil would be really bad news, actually

I think it's more shocking for it to be Superman. Everyone knows Batman walks the line. And there are lots of stories about how he's one bad move from being his enemies. Superman on the other hand is suppose to be hope and purity.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

I've stated before that I really want a story where Batman goes bad somehow. Mind control or whatever. Similar to what Marvel is doing with Cap in Secret Empire

I think an evil, prepared Batman could wreck absolute havok

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    I think it's more shocking for it to be Superman. Everyone knows Batman walks the line. And there are lots of stories about how he's one bad move from being his enemies. Superman on the other hand is suppose to be hope and purity.
    i dont know, lately he is not portrayedl like someone who walks the line , he is just the one that is always superior morally. If he can take all the lague with contingency plans, and in the same time he never can be corrupted , thats the very definiiton of a Stu, like i said in the WW boards. Brice doesnt need to be a Stu, he worked fine for decades without the need of be the best in everything

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I've stated before that I really want a story where Batman goes bad somehow. Mind control or whatever. Similar to what Marvel is doing with Cap in Secret Empire

I think an evil, prepared Batman could wreck absolute havok
    Like I've said before, I personally don't think Batman would be as effective as NaziCap is being. Not even close.

Yes, Cap is a master strategist...but he's also Captain freaking America! The guy everyone trusts and looks up to.

Batman isn't that guy.

He isn't trusted by the people, let alone the government or the superhero community. And without the key component, an evil Bruce would have to rely on his brains and his skills. And considering there are multiple heroes smarter than him (Mr. Terrific and Ted Kord as examples), not to mention Lex, as well as literally hundreds of people on the Earth alone who could kick his ass, and I can't see an evil Batman getting too far without help. Honestly, I think they're skilled and resourceful enough that all-together, the rest of the Batfamily would be able to stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    Like I've said before, I personally don't think Batman would be as effective as NaziCap is being. Not even close.

Yes, Cap is a master strategist...but he's also Captain freaking America! The guy everyone trusts and looks up to.

Batman isn't that guy.

He isn't trusted by the people, let alone the government or the superhero community. And without the key component, an evil Bruce would have to rely on his brains and his skills. And considering there are multiple heroes smarter than him (Mr. Terrific and Ted Kord as examples), not to mention Lex, as well as literally hundreds of people on the Earth alone who could kick his ass, and I can't see an evil Batman getting too far without help. Honestly, I think they're skilled and resourceful enough that all-together, the rest of the Batfamily would be able to stop him.
    That's a pretty good point. I guess I mean as a character working in the shadows, he would work best as opposed to openly attempting to conquer the world. A fully fletched Batgod could be a solid villain if he spent enough time building contingencies and planning out what he'd do for each hero/villain

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post

Batman isn't that guy.

Unless you're going for a take on Batman that's not as distrustful or distant from other heroes.

Funny thing is I've seen it posted in Secret Empire that Cap probably should not be as effective in Secret Empire as he is right now.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

It depends what you can stomach more: a corrupted Superman, or a sustained period of Bat-god. Because for Batman to be the villain long-term, he's going to have to pull some ridiculous ****. There's a way to write that story gradually, with Batman secretly moving certain challengers to his leadership like Superman and Wonder Woman out of the way discretely and cleverly before he crosses any lines. But he can't just cross a line one day and then decide to wreak havoc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    Really? Because it's always Superman who goes bad or gets himself mind-controlled or whatever.

And for all the (ridiculous) stories about Batman being one bad move from being his enemies, he never takes that move.

The only way I could see Batman going for a Secret Empire... would be for him to go for a SECRET empire. It would need to be done on a long run, with Batman using his JL "friends" to propel his schemes unknowingly to the larger populace while allying with some of his enemies (the LoA, Bane) or those of other heroes (Black Manta, Lex Luthor) to actually shape the world from the shadows. He would also needs to use Bruce Wayne to ingrain himself into the major governments of the world. basically, he would have to play the Justice League against some villains (too unstable to forge is "empire" with), try to shape younger generations of heroes (I could see such a version discretely promoting Red Hood's methods only to get rid of Jason when he'll have fulfilled his utility as a shining example for new heroes).

But I'm not sure that it would make a compelling story to read in comics. In a novel, perhaps, because it would then be possible to by pass actions sequences and make the whole story about the progressive "coup" but comics often needs some impressive action to work on the long term, and it would be counter-productive to Batman, because if he was found out too soon, he couldn't hope to survive it, because both the heroes and the villains would come for him (either the unstable ones, or even those he tried to ally with who would want him silenced).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheSeaDragon View Post
    Hi everyone. First im not a Bruce hater. Is really difficult to dislike a character that has been around for so much time and was portrayed in a lot of ways, so i like some portrayals and dislike others
    That said, Injustice, or injustass, as i like to call it, put me in a bad mood, because i think there is some double standard . I hear several times the argument that corrupted superman works better because if its Bruce theo one who goes rogue, the league would crush him easily. But we are talking about the guy that have plans of contingency to take down ALL THE LEAGUE, sometimes to a ridiculous degree. He going evil would be really bad news, actually
    That's not how this works. Based on your post on the WW forum and those of others there its clear that you're not annoyed about Clark and Diana are being made to look bad. You're angry at the comments on Youtube praising Batman and saying mean stuff about the other 2. Making Batman a villain will not stop that, ever heard of Darth Vader? or Dr Doom? you think Batman wont get that treatment? if so think again and then we'll go back to square one with everyone praising the heck out of awesome villain Batman and making fun of those goody two shoe heroes.
    Just stop allowing your life to be dictated by Youtubers. But yeah Injustice characterization is turd.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

It's not as if we haven't seen plenty of stories of Batman being hunted and pursued by the authorities, including past friends. Bruce seen as going too far or out of the public or authoritarian good graces.

That's every bat-comic Frank Miller's ever written.

That's the thing: "corrupted" or "gone too far" is relative and subjective. "Gone bad."

And, in the end, who'll win? Who's left standing or a martyr?

Depends on whose story it is. And, nothing more.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    That's not how this works. Based on your post on the WW forum and those of others there its clear that you're not annoyed about Clark and Diana are being made to look bad. You're angry at the comments on Youtube praising Batman and saying mean stuff about the other 2. Making Batman a villain will not stop that, ever heard of Darth Vader? or Dr Doom? you think Batman wont get that treatment? if so think again and then we'll go back to square one with everyone praising the heck out of awesome villain Batman and making fun of those goody two shoe heroes.
    Just stop allowing your life to be dictated by Youtubers. But yeah Injustice characterization is turd.
    Still doesn't help anyone who isn't the unbeatable batgod.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Two reasons: (1) it is more compelling to see someone who is portrayed as hope and light turn bad than someone already portrayed as dark and in the shadows and (2) Superman makes a better or more believable "villain" because he is one of the few in the DCU that can take on all of the other heroes combined against him

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Two reasons: (1) it is more compelling to see someone who is portrayed as hope and light turn bad than someone already portrayed as dark and in the shadows and (2) Superman makes a better or more believable "villain" because he is one of the few in the DCU that can take on all of the other heroes combined against him
    Except he can't. The only reason Regime Superman lasted for so long was because most of the League took leave of their senses and joined him.