Default Petition to have JM DeMatteis' & Sal Bucsema's Spectacular Spider-Man in omnibus

JM SB SPSM.jpg

Last year I bound one of my favorite runs – JM DeMatteis & Sal Buscema’s Spectacular Spider-Man run, focusing on the Ballad of Harry Osborn. The undertaking was a labor of love. I propose that the run be collected officially.

JM DeMatteis’ Spectacular Spider-Man needs to be collected in omnibus format. The collection had one of the best character studies and arcs in memory – dealing with the struggle of Harry Osborn. The story dealt with family generational legacies, friendships, mental illness, and grudges. The story has stuck with fans for over 25 years - with this collection placing ahead of 50% of the 2017 Most Wanted Marvel Omnibuses via Tygereyes, even though major story points are no longer cannon.

Another fan has taken the time to organized a petition, communicating to Marvel that this run is desired for official release. If you have found memories of this run, please take a few moments - to sign & share.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/...bus-collection
    Last edited by arosenbarger; 05-19-2017 at 05:26 AM.
    I love comics and make art. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ARose...9658123?ref=hl

DeMatteis approves of the petition.

http://www.jmdematteis.com/2017/05/s...or-spidey.html
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Signed. I loved these stories.

Petition updated with approval from creators and instructions as to how fans can help with getting out the word
    I love comics and make art. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ARose...9658123?ref=hl

If this isn't worthy of an Omnibus, I don't know does. Having said that, not all of these stories are even up on Marvel Unlimited (digital app) yet so not sure what's going on with that; there is a lot to the distribution of various stories that I don't quite understand----I am sure publishing rights vary especially when it comes to reprints and what format is going to be used that may delay things.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    If this isn't worthy of an Omnibus, I don't know does. Having said that, not all of these stories are even up on Marvel Unlimited (digital app) yet so not sure what's going on with that; there is a lot to the distribution of various stories that I don't quite understand----I am sure publishing rights vary especially when it comes to reprints and what format is going to be used that may delay things.
    Agreed. We got Son of the Goblin years ago, but never this complete. I understand its a windmill chasing crapshoot, however since we've got fan and creator support, and with a custom prototype, bind mapping, and design details, I would hope that Marvel could work out something.

Worst that happens is if we try and get nothing.

Fantastic Member

That binding job looks awesome

I'd love to get this as an omnibus and don't understand why it hasn't already happened. Elements of this arc have been used in both series of movies and DeMatteis is considered to be one of the three best writers of Spider-Man -/ along with Roger Stern and Stan Lee. I mean, Untold Tales has an omnibus.

Once we get this omnibus, we'll start on the Gerry Conway petition.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I don't think it's a rights issue, as much of the difficulty of getting the original issues ready for a collection for the first time.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

The J.M.DeMatteis and Sal Buscema run in Spectacular Spider-Man.
    One of the few times when i thought a secondary Spider-Man comic book was as good or even better that the main stories in Amazing Spider-Man.
    The Harry Osborn Saga for example is one of the best Green Goblin storylines period.
    Last edited by comicscollector; 05-30-2017 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't think it's a rights issue, as much of the difficulty of getting the original issues ready for a collection for the first time.
    Which, I am hoping with the bind mapping, will make the process easier on Marvel.

I got into contact with Sal Buscema's rep. Al, Sal's rep, is checking with Sal to see if he'll sign my custom bind and approve of our mapping.

Does anyone have contacts we could reach to help us by running this story?

Currently signatures for the petition are leveling off - and despite writing letters to Marvel corporate, to Jennifer Gruenwald, Jeff Blomquist, Tom Brevoort, emailing, and Tweeting - we need to reach a greater audience to continue.

I know this is a long shot, but if you could find any way to help us, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you and take care,
    Andrew

How Creators were contacted:
    JM DeMatteis - East Coast Comic Con, Facebook, & Twitter
    Ann Nocenti - ECCC & FB
    Jim Salicrup - ECCC
    Danny Fingeroth - ECCC & Twitter
    Mike Zeck - via email, ECCC
    Sal's rep - by email
    Gerry Conway - Twitter

BANNED

Default Petition for J.M. DeMatteis and Sal Buscema Spider-Man Omnibus

One of the greatest runs in the history of the character is undoubtedly J.M. Dematteis's and Sal Buscema's Spectacular Spider-Man. With such an acclaimed run, it's really surprising that Marvel has never released it in a collection. This petition seeks to rectify that:

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    One of the greatest runs in the history of the character is undoubtedly J.M. Dematteis's and Sal Buscema's Spectacular Spider-Man. With such an acclaimed run, it's really surprising that Marvel has never released it in a collection. This petition seeks to rectify that:

I was a kid when this run was coming out. Even then I recognized it as something truly special. When given the choice between an issue of Amazing or this (my grandmother used to get me comics from our local newsagent), I'd always pick Spectacular. First thing I did when I attended my first comic convention was to seek out the issues I'd missed. Came back with a whole stack of them.

Now I have a full run of Spectacular. This run will always be my favorite for Spidey (rivaled only by Stern on Amazing.) I don’t need it, but I'll definitely sign the petition. This seminal run needs to be accessible for any Spidey fan who wasn't around to read them as they came out. Absolute recommend reading in my book. Now, where do I put my signature?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I was a kid when this run was coming out. Even then I recognized it as something truly special. When given the choice between an issue of Amazing or this (my grandmother used to get me comics from our local newsagent), I'd always pick Spectacular. First thing I did when I attended my first comic convention was to seek out the issues I'd missed. Came back with a whole stack of them.

Now I have a full run of Spectacular. This run will always be my favorite for Spidey (rivaled only by Stern on Amazing.) I don’t need it, but I'll definitely sign the petition. This seminal run needs to be accessible for any Spidey fan who wasn't around to read them as they came out. Absolute recommend reading in my book. Now, where do I put my signature?
    Like you, I already own most of the issues collected in this run, but it would be great to have it in a collection. Easily my favorite Spider-Man run after Stan Lee's and Steve Ditko's.

You can place your signature on the right side of the web page, along with your email and any comments you might have.
    Last edited by Masked Guy; 08-02-2017 at 01:38 AM.