Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default whatever happened to leia´s force potential?

in ROTJ luke revealed to leia her heritage and insisted that she could wield the force the same as he could.
    the now called "legend" of course followed this path, giving leia numerous occassions to explore her force sensitivity.

TFA gives us nothing in that regard. and with the sad, early passing of carrie fisher i don´t think that will be explored much in the upcoming movie.
    she´ll just have some cameo scenes.

i am pretty certain leia won´t evolve beyond her rebel role. i doubt luke was wrong. maybe we will be given some bits and pieces about leia&force but i guess it will be limited due to real world restrictions.

what do you people expect why canon leia never reached for the potential luke hinted at in ROTJ?
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

BANNED

Dead simple: she chose not to develop it, instead going further into politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Dead simple: she chose not to develop it, instead going further into politics.
    your explanation is totally out of character for leia. she is defined by duty. once she realized her potential, she must have confronteded it. only question to me is, can TLJ address this arc? i will be seriously disappointed, if they leave leia out of that last jedi agenda
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    your explanation is totally out of character for leia. she is defined by duty. once she realized her potential, she must have confronteded it. only question to me is, can TLJ address this arc? i will be seriously disappointed, if they leave leia out of that last jedi agenda
    I don't find it that out of character for Leia. She had great Force potential, but she had no interest in being a Jedi. She had a talent for diplomacy and leadership and decided she could be more helpful to restoring the Republic through those channels than by wielding a lightsaber, which her brother Luke had covered already.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I don't find it that out of character for Leia. She had great Force potential, but she had no interest in being a Jedi. She had a talent for diplomacy and leadership and decided she could be more helpful to restoring the Republic through those channels than by wielding a lightsaber, which her brother Luke had covered already.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

well i think leia would be driven her responsibilites. and then the old ben parker imperativ comes into play. with great power... but well, a fictional charater. i would take her down the teachings of the force as an author.
    atleast leia should have tried to explore her potential (there is no try)
    Last edited by abulafia; 05-19-2017 at 12:15 PM.

Funny thing is (Legends wise), apart from some dabbling in it in stuff like the fairly early EU such as the Thrawn and Dark Empire stuff, Leia doesn't really go full Jedi until the Dark nest saga, set at roughly the same placement as TFA (some 3 decades after the films).

I wouldn't say TFA gave us nothing with that; Leia senses Han's death as a disturbance in the force (or perhaps her son's reaction?)....and of course her force potential was passed to Ben/Kylo.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    your explanation is totally out of character for leia. she is defined by duty.
    And she would never abandon that duty to go be a Jedi. Something she is probably somewhat sceptical about anyway; Luke never was tortured by an ex-Jedi, nor did he have his home planet blown up.
    Last edited by Carabas; 05-19-2017 at 01:59 PM.

While I liked Knight Leia in the later part of Legends, I don't particularly mind the way its done here in the current canon. Though it would be neat to have her use the Force in other ways besides just being savant with a Lightsaber.

luke clearly sets her up as 2nd last jedi. maybe it is just bad writting, as leia wasn´t considered as luke´s sister in earlier drafts. but in the canon we have, leia is supposed to be strong in the force. TFA only had an obi wan moment when she senses her husbands death. even if leia never explored her force abilities in this canon, i think it needs to be addressed why she choose not to do so

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2015/12/07/...-become-a-jedi

J.J. ABRAMS: It was a great question, and one that we talked about quite a bit, even with Carrie [Fisher]…Why did she not take advantage of this natural Force strength that this character had. And one of the answers was that it was simply a choice that she made, that her decision to run the Rebellion, and ultimately this Resistance, and consider herself a General, as opposed to a Jedi. It was simply a choice that she took.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

It actually fits her character more to focus more on politics. She takes after her adoptive father and always has. That she'd follow in Bail's footsteps actually makes more sense for her than following in Luke's. Luke desired her to learn, yes, but more than anything else he was preparing for and ensuring that the Jedi would live on through her because he fully anticipated dying on the Death Star II in his final confrontation with Vader and the Emperor. Thanks to Anakin's return and sacrifice he didn't though, so there would have been less pressure on Leia to follow the path of her bloodline.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-19-2017 at 08:12 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Luke desired her to learn, yes, but more than anything else he was preparing for and ensuring that the Jedi would live on through her because he fully anticipated dying on the Death Star II in his final confrontation with Vader and the Emperor.
    I do wonder how Luke envisioned that working out, what with there not being anybody left who could teach her.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I do wonder how Luke envisioned that working out, what with there not being anybody left who could teach her.
    Given how new canon keeps pumping out surviving Jedi she probably would get trained by Ahsoka, whatever Bendu is, or any character from Rebel's or Clone Wars. That aside, the force ghosts might be able to manifest themselves to her assuming Luke failed.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Given how new canon keeps pumping out surviving Jedi she probably would get trained by Ahsoka, whatever Bendu is, or any character from Rebel's or Clone Wars. That aside, the force ghosts might be able to manifest themselves to her assuming Luke failed.
    None of those existed at the time of writing.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Leia was just way to busy in the new senate to have the time to train whatever powers she has. To her the way she could help the most was to do what she did best and that is politics. In all the books so far it is shown that right from the start the new Republic has been nothing but constant infighting on how best to govern the galaxy after the end of the Empire. In both the Aftemath trilogy and in the Bloodlines book Leia was nonstop having to try and keep things from falling apart until she finally saw it was just no use and started setting up the Resistance to face the upcoming threat of the First Order. Plus in that time she was a new mother taking care of her son too.

There was just no time for her to devote to training in the ways of the Jedi.