Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Will I have to wear glasses over my glasses to watch this movie?

For the best Gal Gadot viewing experience, I plan to! Hell, I might get kicked out of the theater for trying to touch the screen!
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A toy leaked his design. It's very Perez-inspired, I'd say .
    just googled it and Damn I like that design.

Those new trailers so far have been tremendous. The action scenes involving Diana in WW1 looks better than anything in the first Captain America movie.

Spectacular Member

I know a passionate DCEU hater that has seen it and he says it's awesome. Whether that means actually awesome, 'more like Marvel,' or both, I dunno. But it's definitely gonna be received well when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Logan.....
    Currently Logan is being heralded as the greatest superhero film since the Dark Knight, which can only be read as an indictment of the 'fun' and 'campy' superhero films. Even then, most people who like the MCU will put forward The Winter Soldier and Daredevil as the best pieces of MCU media, i.e. the most serious, grounded films.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Currently Logan is being heralded as the greatest superhero film since the Dark Knight, which can only be read as an indictment of the 'fun' and 'campy' superhero films. Even then, most people who like the MCU will put forward The Winter Soldier and Daredevil as the best pieces of MCU media, i.e. the most serious, grounded films.
    Umm when Civil War came out a lot of people were losing they're shit over it. That movie is an over the top superhero fest of fun. GOTG gets just as much Love as TWS. Plus Logan was funny as hell, also sad. It wasn't nearly as self serious as MoS or BvS. if a movies fun you can overlook bigger flaws. if you got the BvS route every fault is amplified.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Umm when Civil War came out a lot of people were losing they're shit over it. That movie is an over the top superhero fest of fun. GOTG gets just as much Love as TWS. Plus Logan was funny as hell, also sad. It wasn't nearly as self serious as MoS or BvS. if a movies fun you can overlook bigger flaws. if you got the BvS route every fault is amplified.
    I'm not saying people aren't fans of 'lighter' films, it just seems the consensus after Logan was that it was the best superhero film since Dark Knight (this includes the other DC movies too). Most serious works do have comedy bits in them too (In Macbeth, the porter scene takes place after the killing of Duncun), however a general rule in film making is that you do not place jokes during serious moments either (i.e. quipping during combat).
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Mighty Member

honestly, I would dismiss that as the recency bias. people have seen it recently and therefore amplify it's significance a bit more. it's like that friend who says that the most recent Marvel Studios film is their best ever...

at the opposite side is the "Golden Age" bias where people emphatically declare that nothing will ever surpass <insert name here> when lots of perfectly good films have come out since then.

of course, in the world of investing the recency bias is kind of a thing. and Hollywood is probably even worse about it than Wall Street!
    OMG! THAT R-RATED DEADPOOL FILM DID REALLY WELL!!! LET'S GO OUT AND MAKE AN R-RATED MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC MOVIE!

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    Did no one like the direction that dceu was going on? I don't want a a comedy. Inspiration yes but not a comedy
    Who said anything about a comedy? It takes place during World War I. That's pretty dark.

Sandy Hausler

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Saw this last night. It's definitely the best DCEU film to date. I've been thinking about it, but I think I would put this ahead of The Dark Knight. Gah. Now I'm changing my mind and TDK is better. I guess I haven't decided yet. Seeing it again on opening night.

I'll say this. I haven't gotten the feels that I got watching this (as far as superhero films) since I was a kid and saw Superman: The Movie if that helps gauge anything. The MCU films, DK Trilogy...different kinds of feels - excitement, awe, enjoyment for the most part, but this one elicits something...inspirational, for lack of a better word - how I think DC superheroes should be - iconic.

This film could have easily gone cheesy and hokey and I found myself many times preparing for the eyeroll dialogue...but it either didn't happen, or the talent really pulled off those lines believably in a grounded-in-reality sort of way with characters responding how they really would in real life. The movie is self-aware. Not insecure like GL, MoS and SS. Patty Jenkins gets it.

The reactions so far say the movie has heart. Yeah, that's true, but there's more to it than that. It embraces the source material and it does an excellent job of establishing relatable familiar social commentary, nothing heavy-handed. It's really pretty elegant. Marvel characters, movie or comics, are the relatable characters. DC's are the icons. And I believe it wasn't just a simple as inserting jokes and the issues of being too dark. The real issue with those previous films were a combination of writing and moments to empathize - this is different from the characters being relatable. It has to work within the framework of relatable familiar grounded reality. MoS, BvS and SS all don't have stakes or anything to empathize with beyond the superficial...which can be okay depending on the quality of writing. But this film was clear and had a message, food-for-thought, like TDK did...and I don't mean feminism (though it does a beautiful job of that as well by not bringing attention to it like most films would force that attempt the same sort of thing).
    Last edited by Potanical Pardon; 05-25-2017 at 03:00 AM.

There are many who will put GotG as the best MCU film.

Spider-Man 2 is still arguably considered the best comic book movie to date. That movie is funny and campy as hell.

Ultimate Member

I'm not saying people aren't fans of 'lighter' films, it just seems the consensus after Logan was that it was the best superhero film since Dark Knight (this includes the other DC movies too). Most serious works do have comedy bits in them too (In Macbeth, the porter scene takes place after the killing of Duncun), however a general rule in film making is that you do not place jokes during serious moments either (i.e. quipping during combat).
    This is not true.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This is not true.
    Right, the MCU movies do this all of the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it feels forced. But, I don't know about it being a rule.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    Right, the MCU movies do this all of the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it feels forced. But, I don't know about it being a rule.
    Exactly.

Even old action movies had the hero dropping tons of one liners during fight scenes. Even dark movies like Clockwork Orange had humor (very dark humor) during physical and sexual assault scenes.

It can be clunky in the MCU (like in Age of Ultron) but it sure as heck isn't a rule.

http://uproxx.com/movies/patty-jenkins-wonder-woman/2/

I've always been looking forward to this Wonder Woman and thought it would be great despite the less successful DC movies. This makes me want to see it even more.

Sandy Hausler