Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tom Hardy is Venom in new Sony Venom movie...

http://deadline.com/2017/05/venom-mo...lm-1202098343/

A film based on the Marvel character Venom, conceived initially as a supervillain who is bent on destroying Spider-Man and then becomes kind of an anti-hero is being brought to the big with Tom Hardy as Venom and/or Eddie Brock with director Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland) helming. Sony also announced this morning that the film will be released on Oct. 5, 2018 and production will start this fall.

They also note that Venom is from Sony’s Marvel Universe and is not a spinoff but the first movie after Spider-Man from its Marvel Universe of characters. Hardy’s Eddie Brock is able to converse and have a relationship with the symbiote, which culminates to him becoming Venom.

Confused if this means it's in the MCU or not...

nevermind, just saw the CBR post about this. Wasn't there when I initially looked, or I overlooked it...

It's NOT in MCU at all.

I wonder if this will even be Spider-Man related. I don't see Tom Hardy having an intense hatred for Tom Holland as his motivation. Since he's the protagonist, I wonder if they'll do a Jekyl/Hyde thing with it... (just no Smeigel/Golum self-dialogues, please )

Weird that they're building a Spider-Man universe without Spider-man. Weird but doable, as the Spider-Man universe is so rich and fleshed out.

At least I like this casting better. Always thought getting the guy from that 70's Show to play Brock was such weird casting. Hardy works much better.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    At least I like this casting better. Always thought getting the guy from that 70's Show to play Brock was such weird casting. Hardy works much better.
    Topher Grace worked in my mind because it was in keeping with the idea of Eddie as being Parker's rival. Regardless of physicality, Raimi definitely played up the idea of Eddie as "Peter gone wrong." Obviously Tom Hardy has a stronger physical resemblance to comic book Eddie, but movie Parker is a teenager in high school. Makes me wonder how they're going to preserve what, to me, is an intrinsic part of Eddie's (and the symbiote's) motivation. Otherwise he's just a vigilante bonded with an alien ... maybe they'll make it like "The Guyver" instead.... or a male version of "Witchblade"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    . (just no Smeigel/Golum self-dialogues, please )
    Or weird-ass muffled accents.

Blech.

No Spidey, no sale.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I wonder if this will even be Spider-Man related. I don't see Tom Hardy having an intense hatred for Tom Holland as his motivation. Since he's the protagonist, I wonder if they'll do a Jekyl/Hyde thing with it... (just no Smeigel/Golum self-dialogues, please )
    Oh well, so much for that...

Hardy should just get back to giving us more "Taboo."
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-31-2018 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    nevermind, just saw the CBR post about this. Wasn't there when I initially looked, or I overlooked it...

It's NOT in MCU at all.
    Sony doesn't have the rights to put anything into the MCU. However, I thought they and Disney now shared film rights to Spider-Man and that Sony still has the right to do a Spider-Man movie?

Edit: And, to answer my own question, yes they can.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/de...es-1201429039/
    Last edited by Powerboy; 12-19-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Sony doesn't have the rights to put anything into the MCU. However, I thought they and Disney now shared film rights to Spider-Man and that Sony still has the right to do a Spider-Man movie?

Edit: And, to answer my own question, yes they can.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/de...es-1201429039/
    They don't share the rights it's more like they rent Spiderman out to marvel just like with hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    They don't share the rights it's more like they rent Spiderman out to marvel just like with hulk.
    Marvel owns hulk all the way. Universal has rights to first refusal on distribution i think
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 12-20-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    http://deadline.com/2017/05/venom-mo...lm-1202098343/

A film based on the Marvel character Venom, conceived initially as a supervillain who is bent on destroying Spider-Man and then becomes kind of an anti-hero is being brought to the big with Tom Hardy as Venom and/or Eddie Brock with director Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland) helming. Sony also announced this morning that the film will be released on Oct. 5, 2018 and production will start this fall.

They also note that Venom is from Sony’s Marvel Universe and is not a spinoff but the first movie after Spider-Man from its Marvel Universe of characters. Hardy’s Eddie Brock is able to converse and have a relationship with the symbiote, which culminates to him becoming Venom.
    They just announced the main actor and want to release the movie just a year after the start of production? Never mind the history of comic movies based on villians with no ties at all to their hero? This has train wreck written all over it. Nice to see that Sony is still squarely at the bottom of the cape film company barrel.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Tom Hardy is no doubt a great choice, though it's still hard for me to see Venom working without a personal connection to Spider-Man. Doesn't mean it won't work--it might be just the breath of fresh air Venom needs--but I like Eddie's twisted conscience being measured against Peter's 'power and responsibility.' It's also hard for me to divorce Venom from the concept of the symbiote as a jealous ex-lover (who still prefers Peter when push comes to shove). Maybe they'll plug someone else into those concepts?