Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

The power of the Marvel Brand. Crazy. Take away that logo and what is Venom opening at? 50M? Less?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    What makes Venon bad to critics? If it is bad cgi, then didn't black panther have bad cgi?
    Black Panther's CGI was so bad, it only became the 3rd domestic grossing film of all-time. Now if it had top notch CGI, it would have been higher.

I went today. 5 people in the theater plus me. 3:30 show.

Below average film due to plot, Hardy's acting and the CGI. Venom's voice and dialogue helped balance things. I liked the mid credit scene.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Saw it today.

I actually liked it. It is not a good movie, but I was entertained. I wouldn't even call it a 'so bad it's good' type of thing--the film does seem to be in on the joke. It knows what it is.

The best thing you could do with a Venom solo movie that has nothing to do with Spider-Man would be to lean into the absurdity of it all. It doesn't go as bonkers as I would've liked, but there are moments throughout where the movie understands that and embraces it.
    Admittedly, I'm an easy mark because I do have a soft spot for the character, but honestly, aside from those flashes of absurd black comedy, it's an in one ear, out the other superhero flick. I've seen far worse.

It definitely feels like it was chopped up though. Not just in content--although there are points where it's obvious this was aiming for an R--but I believe Tom Hardy when he says there's a chunk of the movie missing. Particularly in the middle leading to the third act. It's like the movie is trucking along, then out of nowhere it's the climax and there are character payoffs that, although don't come out of the blue, don't feel as earned as they should be.

I hope they release an extended/uncut version on DVD or something, because I have a feeling the chunk that's missing is more of Brock and the symbiote interacting and bonding.
    And that sucks because Tom Hardy talking to the voice in his head is easily the best part. I kind of loved the movie's characterization of the symbiote, which I would describe as 'hyperactive child hopped up on Cocoa Puffs and Mortal Kombat.' The back and forth between Brock and the symbiote is fun and I want to see more of it.

So yeah...it's not a good film which should surprise no one. But it's not a total trainwreck or even a misguided disaster. There's absurd, trashy fun to be had, though perhaps not as much as there needed to be.
    I do hope they make a sequel. As said, Tom Hardy and his portrayal of Venom is pretty great and [SPOILER]f*** yes, I want to see Woody Harrelson as Carnage.[/SPOILER]

Trash perhaps. But it was my trash.

Mighty Member

I enjoyed it. Better than the character's appearance in Spiderman 3.

Fantastic Member

I enjoyed it. it's easily better than iron man 2, 3, thor, dark world and incredible hulk.

peopel are just hating on it cause its not in the mcu and doenst have spider-man.

is it a perfect movie, no, its starts of very slow but the last hour is good enjoyable turn your brain of stuff, and at the end of the day thats why i go to the movies.
    DC: Action Comics, Batman, Batman/Superman, Batman and Robin, Batman Off World, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, JG: Flash, JL vs. Godzilla, JSA, Nightwing, Shazam, Superman, Titans, Beast World

Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Fall of the House of X, Fantastic Four, Resurrection of Magneto, Spectacular Spider-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, WolverineL Madripoor Knights, X-Men

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    The power of the Marvel Brand. Crazy. Take away that logo and what is Venom opening at? 50M? Less?
    You're comment doesn't make sense. Venom is a Marvel character and has 30 years of history built with fans. I would argue that most of Spider-Man 3's box office was because of Venom's appearance.

I liked the movie. It was not without its flaws but I thought they got the characterization spot-on.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

I saw it, it was fun ride to watch, much better then I thought it would be. Eddie Brock is a lot more interesting then his comic counterpart.
    Last edited by 5Eyes; 10-06-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Just saw it with my dad. It was Okay. The pacing does seem weird. Starts off slow then super rushes to a climax. Also the rules on the symbiotes are super inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammasu View Post
    Just saw it with my dad. It was Okay. The pacing does seem weird. Starts off slow then super rushes to a climax. Also the rules on the symbiotes are super inconsistent.
    I did notice the pacing seemed off. I think a version with the 40 minutes in would be a bit better, hopefully we get an extended addition. I did feel like we missed a lot of Eddie/Venom bonding.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    You're comment doesn't make sense. Venom is a Marvel character and has 30 years of history built with fans. I would argue that most of Spider-Man 3's box office was because of Venom's appearance.

I liked the movie. It was not without its flaws but I thought they got the characterization spot-on.
    Unless a comic fan most people have no clue who Venom is and the rest a passing knowledge of the name but not details. I actually think the reviews helped they made this thing sound like a film so bad you had to see it to believe it. It was okay IMO.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Unless a comic fan most people have no clue who Venom is and the rest a passing knowledge of the name but not details. I actually think the reviews helped they made this thing sound like a film so bad you had to see it to believe it. It was okay IMO.
    I knew who Venom was before I was ever seriously into comics or super heroes. He has and always had lots of mainstream appeal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I knew who Venom was before I was ever seriously into comics or super heroes. He has and always had lots of mainstream appeal.
    He never had lots of mainstream appeal. And I am somewhat surprised to see those who actually are familiar with the creature expected a laugh fest from the movie. But I I've been surprised by other things in life

I see the movie and the best part about it was the relationship between Eddie and Venom. Tom Hardy was great in the movie. other than Tom Hardy performance the movie was okay.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Marvel brand? That's weird I don't recall Ant-Man, Ant-Man and the Wasp or Fantastic 4 opening this big despite also having the Marvel brand attached to them. Hell Venom has had a bigger worldwide opening than any Spider-Man movie, maybe people just were excited to see the movie?