Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Looks like it will be no 1 again.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...cid=spartandhp

Ya I can see that but in the same way SMHC was allso to light and YA feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It should not have been like that. I can't even say YA since the past YAs hunger games and harry potter coming to mind are so more heavier than all the MCU movies with adult leads. SMHC was so light it as like watching that's so raven. then there was the censorship of Spidey's fighting skills. It just made no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    The drop is not that huge, that is good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It’s a balance. It needed to be lighter coming out of ASM2. Spider-Man needs light and shade. It can’t always be about personal tragedy that has to be balanced with the sheer joy of being Spider-Man. ASM1 mostly got that. We will inevitably see darker Spider-Man content down the line, it is part of his story, but what his fans forget is his brand is worth so much money because he also appeals to five year olds.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4447&p=.htm

It wasn't quite as close as we thought it might be at the top of the box office, but last weekend's top two films definitely disappoint. Sony's Venom held on even better than expected, delivering a second weekend at #1 while Warner Bros.'s A Star is Born continued to shine. As for the weekend's three new wide releases, Universal's First Man led the way, narrowly edging out Sony's Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween for third place on the weekend chart while Fox's Bad Times at the El Royale fell outside the top five.
    With an estimated $35.7 million, Sony's Venom dropped just 55% in its second weekend as the film's domestic cume now totals $143 million after just ten days in release. Heading into the weekend a drop of 60%+ seemed most likely considering historical precedence, but the film continues to outperform expectations, holding on similarly to Logan, which dipped just 56.9% in its second weekend.
    Internationally, Venom remained the #1 film at the global box office delivering an estimated $69.7 million from 54 overseas markets for an international cume now totaling $235.3 million. New markets this weekend include France where the film launched with an estimated $6.7 million. The film's top market is South Korea with $25.4 million and it won't be adding any additional territories until its November 2 release in Japan while a release in China is still yet to be determined.

And so Venom jumped another hurdle. I do find it interesting how Mojo have started to compare it to Logan. They even created a head-to-head ‘showdown’ page before this news hit. Clearly word of mouth is not bad on this movie, because it is performing better in terms of weekly drops than the average superhero movie.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    And so Venom jumped another hurdle. I do find it interesting how Mojo have started to compare it to Logan. They even created a head-to-head ‘showdown’ page before this news hit. Clearly word of mouth is not bad on this movie, because it is performing better in terms of weekly drops than the average superhero movie.
    I liked it but it doesn't have much competition in it's demographics right non and as for word of mouth I think it's bad but not in a bad way if that makes sense. Venom is Schlock and I love Schlock I grew up on Schlocky films and there seems to be the word of mouth Venom isn't really good but it's entertaining.

Astonishing Member

Black Panther, Infinity War, Incredibles 2, and Venom have all set various records this year. Talk about superhero power. No fatigue yet.

BANNED

I loved watching the film, it was a fun 90's movie.

However it was a poorly written and shot film.

So while a fun watch, this is not great piece of Superhero filming Sony got right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I liked it but it doesn't have much competition in it's demographics right non and as for word of mouth I think it's bad but not in a bad way if that makes sense. Venom is Schlock and I love Schlock I grew up on Schlocky films and there seems to be the word of mouth Venom isn't really good but it's entertaining.
    According to one source, which I can’t rmem now, the demographic split shows under 25s make up a surprisingly large part of the audience. Not sure if that tells us a lot, but it gives us an idea who is going to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post

So while a fun watch, this is not great piece of Superhero filming Sony got right.
    Let’s not be too quick to blame the writers. The story seems somewhat cut up in a way that suggests this doesn’t represent the original script. Although I am sceptical that there is a better movie on the cutting room floor, there is almost certainly a more coherent version of this story in paper form.

You can see hints that this was written darker and more edgy and then toned down, possibly because it was too dark for the studio to sign off on. Take the scene where Eddie eats whatever he can. That scene plays weirdly and is unnecessarily graphic, feeling as if it belongs to an entirely different movie. Take the multiple references to violence that don’t actually occur on screen. Consider the time that passes in the main story but which doesn’t appear to pass in the travels of the eventual villain. There are a number of abrupt swings in tone and structure. I find it hard to imagine any of this is scripted.

Most interesting, I suspect some of the scenes are now in an entirely different order to the script. As if the editors may have put the movie together to reshape a baggy and unfocused movie, or one that was even more incoherent.

I do expect a longer cut of this at some point. It probably won’t be better but it might make it clearer and less choppy.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-15-2018 at 12:38 AM.

As predicted the movie news is full of this, which wouldn’t be so if A Star is Born had pipped it. That always adds profile and I think we can now confidently predict Venom will get its sequel and perhaps a bigger budget.

Forbes puts things in context, pointing out that it opened like a minor MCU movie but is holding its audience like a higher profile MCU movie. Perhaps the audience are less concerned about the difference than many vocal fans would suggest.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-15-2018 at 01:29 AM.

I really enjoyed this movie, I've always liked the concept of Venom (although I haven't delved very far down with the comics.) I went into that cinema thinking I was going to be disappointed by a mediocre movie, and I walked out with a monster fetish...

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post

Just wait until Into The Spiderverse comes out later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Just wait until Into The Spiderverse comes out later this year.
    I am not sure if you are saying this straight or with irony, but personally I think that looks great. I have yet to see a clip or trailer that has hasn’t left me grinning like a crazy person.