Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Opens in Japan and China Nov.2. Another 100M from there? 125M? 150M?

According to Deadline the breakeven was 450M.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    I won't jump hard on the box office success of Venom. There is still a lot of work to be done for the sequel, that been said the first film is a good foundation. Can they start teasing Spider-Man appearing in these films? Not just Carnage.
    I haven't seen the film yet, and I doubt I will, with my own money that is. But are you guys sure Spiderman back in the Sony sandbox is what you want? Back to the those cold clues and depressing tone, and question writing/character decisions?

I genuinely want to know if anyone thinks Spider man will make a difference, but more importantly if you believe Sony can better themselves. Afterall they have a sh!t resume as of late and I don't mean just spiderman films.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post

I don't buy 450 as the break even point I think they probably did that week's ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    I haven't seen the film yet, and I doubt I will, with my own money that is. But are you guys sure Spiderman back in the Sony sandbox is what you want? Back to the those cold clues and depressing tone, and question writing/character decisions?

I genuinely want to know if anyone thinks Spider man will make a difference, but more importantly if you believe Sony can better themselves. Afterall they have a sh!t resume as of late and I don't mean just spiderman films.
    After seeing how MCU spiderMan turned out ya I'm fine with Sony doing there own thing with Spiderman.

Ready Player One's break even point was $420 M iirc. Then how can Venom be $450 M?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Ready Player One's break even point was $420 M iirc. Then how can Venom be $450 M?
    The film cost between 100 to 116 million according to wiki the usually role of thumb is add another 100 million for marketing and Studios usually get about 65% or so of the box office less in foreign markets. So yeah about 450 million don't sound that off.

Astonishing Member

When does a Movie break even at the box office? https://bombreport.com/articles/when...he-box-office/

Article was written back in September 2017 so it's not too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The film cost between 100 to 116 million according to wiki the usually role of thumb is add another 100 million for marketing and Studios usually get about 65% or so of the box office less in foreign markets. So yeah about 450 million don't sound that off.
    But RPO was more expensive than Venom.

Extraordinary Member

When does a Movie break even at the box office? https://bombreport.com/articles/when...he-box-office/

Article was written back in September 2017 so it's not too old.
    The true answer is no films break even because Hollywood accountants find ways to make everything a loss

Sony made the film right ownership more messy by choosing a joint deal with Marvel. Spider-Man never needed a cinematic universe. Why did Sony not see this at all or was it just pressure from Disney. Venom is truly a good foundation for Spider-Man to come back to Sony. Sony will probably go for an adult driven Spider-Man after 2 boring attempts (Amazing Spiderman and Spider-Man Homecoming) to do the high school generic thing again. Sony's Spider-Man should be greatly inspired from the recent Spider-Man 4 game.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Sony made the film right ownership more messy by choosing a joint deal with Marvel. Spider-Man never needed a cinematic universe. Why did Sony not see this at all or was it just pressure from Disney. Venom is truly a good foundation for Spider-Man to come back to Sony. Sony will probably go for an adult driven Spider-Man after 2 boring attempts (Amazing Spiderman and Spider-Man Homecoming) to do the high school generic thing again. Sony's Spider-Man should be greatly inspired from the recent Spider-Man 4 game.
    No they didn't make anything more messy. Look at it from their perspective. They have lost nothing and gained much. screen rant is ranting here. The rights to Spider-Man were NEVER going back to Marvel. Why would anyone think that was going to happen? By assuming this the entire chattering internet traps itself into wrong headed assumptions about what Marvel and Sony are actually doing, which is developing comic IP for mainstream cinema within a unified framework. The deal they struck clearly lays the responsibility for developing other Spider characters at the feet of Sony. A success is good for both companies and provides potential future crossover opportunities.

Fans want to pit Sony and Marvel against each other and this thinking has the potential to create a self-fulfilling prophesy. Sony and Marvel are not enemies. Competition is not always antagonistic nor is it a zero-sum game.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-06-2018 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The true answer is no films break even because Hollywood accountants find ways to make everything a loss
    Never confuse Hollywood accounting with the bar for success. The real measure for this kind of movie is in its sequel potential. This movie clearly crossed that line, wherever it sits on the opaque balance sheets, designed to keep as much profit in-house as possible. This movie will meet its headline break-even point but the real break even point on the balance sheet will probably stay in the red for many years, just like every other movie.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-06-2018 at 04:38 AM.

Besides Spider-Man look at Ghostbusters Sony wants Franchises and they've been trying to develop a Spider-Man Cinematic Universe even before the MCU.

Currently there is Venom (Done) & Kraven, Morbius, Silk, Night Watch, Silver Sable, and Black Cat all in the works or rumored to be but in the past there was various Venom and Carnage attempts, Sinister Six, Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, to name some there was like 37 different Spider Related films pitched even a Aunt May prequel this was all revealed in the Sony Hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Besides Spider-Man look at Ghostbusters Sony wants Franchises and they've been trying to develop a Spider-Man Cinematic Universe even before the MCU.

Currently there is Venom (Done) & Kraven, Morbius, Silk, Night Watch, Silver Sable, and Black Cat all in the works or rumored to be but in the past there was various Venom and Carnage attempts, Sinister Six, Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, to name some there was like 37 different Spider Related films pitched even a Aunt May prequel this was all revealed in the Sony Hacks.
    However we cant judge any of those potential movies. I have to admit I was not looking forward to anything spinning out of ASM2 and it seems Sony wern't looking forward to them either. A lot of these projects only reached the press because Sony wanted to talk-up their movie business while their phone business was making all the wrong headlines. They were what technology journalists would call paper launches. Things to keep the shareholders happy and distract from the panic going on under the surface. Somewhere in these threads I made a bet we would never see that version of the Sinister Six, even as they announced those projects were still in development (just before a quarterly forecast) because it was obvious the franchise was failing.

Is it that Sony want a franchise, or is it that the shareholders believe this is the only way to make big profits in the current market. I suspect the truth is somewhere in-between. We have watched many studios attempt to launch new franchises and fail badly. Even Disney couldn't pull together a convincing Narnia franchise. Franchises are as difficult to build as every other type of movie. Marvel gave Sony a leg-up with the Spider-Man deal, because it isn't in their interest to see their most valuable character floundering in development hell.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-06-2018 at 05:31 AM.