Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 LastLast

I still think anything other than Venom is going to tank horribly, but I'm not sure which is better with Spider-Man after Homecoming. Why can't anyone but Raimi get Spider-Man right?!?!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I still think anything other than Venom is going to tank horribly, but I'm not sure which is better with Spider-Man after Homecoming. Why can't anyone but Raimi get Spider-Man right?!?!
    Ramie didn’t even get Spider-Man right. Aside from two really.

To understand Spider-Man you need to read the Lee/Ditko run.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Never confuse Hollywood accounting with the bar for success. The real measure for this kind of movie is in its sequel potential. This movie clearly crossed that line, wherever it sits on the opaque balance sheets, designed to keep as much profit in-house as possible. This movie will meet its headline break-even point but the real break even point on the balance sheet will probably stay in the red for many years, just like every other movie.
    Also people don’t realize that there are promotional deals and licensing that already help these movies. MOS pretty much made its budget before it came out in theaters

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Ramie didn’t even get Spider-Man right. Aside from two really.

To understand Spider-Man you need to read the Lee/Ditko run.
    That all depends on the definition of right, I guess. Raimi was closest to Lee/Romita than any of the others, I think. Lee/Ditko really hasn't been touched by any of the movies.

Raimi 1 and 2 - Lee/Romita
    Raimi 3 - Late 1980s off brand (Web, SSM)
    Webb - 1990s with an emphasis on the crappiest parts
    Watts - Ultimate Spider-Man Disnified

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Besides Spider-Man look at Ghostbusters Sony wants Franchises and they've been trying to develop a Spider-Man Cinematic Universe even before the MCU.

Currently there is Venom (Done) & Kraven, Morbius, Silk, Night Watch, Silver Sable, and Black Cat all in the works or rumored to be but in the past there was various Venom and Carnage attempts, Sinister Six, Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, to name some there was like 37 different Spider Related films pitched even a Aunt May prequel this was all revealed in the Sony Hacks.
    When you look at the slate, they are building towards Maximum Carnage.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Also people don’t realize that there are promotional deals and licensing that already help these movies. MOS pretty much made its budget before it came out in theaters
    Sources please.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Sources please.
    People don't seem to realize that merchandising deals don't count against a movie's budget. A $100 million movie that makes $125 million at the box office and $150 million in toys and pajamas is not getting a sequel.

Astonishing Member

They also don't factor in how much of the box office goes to the theatre owners/operators. A $100 million movie that makes $125 million probably would, at best, break even. Advertising costs are also factored in. If that same $100 million movie makes $125 million AND costs a further $50 million - $100 million in promotion/Advertising, it has lost the studio money.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    People don't seem to realize that merchandising deals don't count against a movie's budget. A $100 million movie that makes $125 million at the box office and $150 million in toys and pajamas is not getting a sequel.
    Ya but it would probably get a reboot in a few years.

Why do you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I reiterate a point I made many posts ago. Venom has almost zero merchandise. A handful of exclusive movie posters is all I could find. Disney/Marvel launched coincidental comic mechanising which is legally not related to the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Why do you think that?
    Just a feeling. Maybe if they have Tom Hardy play every villain it would work.

Just a feeling. Maybe if they have Tom Hardy play every villain it would work.
    It would be funny that's for sure.

Do you think Andrew's Garfield Spider-Man should have gotten one more chance?

Spider-Man Homecoming was tricky. its a good version of what a Disney heavily influenced Spider-Man is. As a Spider-Man movie without the Disneyisms, it was generic , too light and more MCU influenced than Spider-Man influenced. The one advantage Venom has over Homecoming is Venom can get better over time, embracing the full nature of the Spider-verse. More symbolites, dark Spider-Man, Carnage, The Clone saga . Spiderman- Homecoming series will always be a Disney cheesy movie failing to embrace the more adult side of the Spiderverse.

As a shout-out to Raimi, can we please just celebrate Spider-Man graduating from high school 40 minutes into Spider-Man 1? Why Homecoming and Amazing Spider-Man choose to drag out the high school thing just sucks.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Guess this proves that word of mouth is much stronger than reviews.