Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    And the Morbius movie is set to begin in early 2019. I think we can all take some comfort in the fact that we're all confused.
    A Morbius film before a Blade reboot? Sony is straight up trolling Disney.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Damm, $700 M is looking easy. Who saw that coming?
    Not me. I wonder if it can make 100M+ in China.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Made 378M in just 10 days, with major markets like China still to go: https://deadline.com/2018/10/venom-s...ce-1202482449/

Here comes Sony's Spiderverse!
    I don't get this. The US and China have the biggest markets for movies. Why release the movie so late in China? Couldn't that be a big potential for killing major profits? Wouldn't it make light years more sense if the movie screened in the US and China nearly at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I don't get this. The US and China have the biggest markets for movies. Why release the movie so late in China? Couldn't that be a big potential for killing major profits? Wouldn't it make light years more sense if the movie screened in the US and China nearly at the same time?
    china has a lot of regulations with foreign film releases, mostly to protect their home grown content. so they only allow limited release slots for hollywood films each year, and at the times that china chooses. sony may not have a choice with that.

add to that china has different slow and busy seasons for film to the usa, and different holiday periods that can also affect when the best release date would be. so a hot time to release in the usa might be dead time in china.

finally, there's a lot of red tape and bureaucracy to get through with each territory, it would require a lot more manpower and money to make sure they are all cut through and signed off on simultaneously across the world.

simultaneous release is possible, it's just not easy and depends on a lot of factors.
    Last edited by boots; 10-16-2018 at 03:03 AM.
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    china has a lot of regulations with foreign film releases, mostly to protect their home grown content. so they only allow limited release slots for hollywood films each year, and at the times that china chooses. sony may not have a choice with that.

add to that china has different slow and busy seasons for film to the usa, and different holiday periods that can also affect when the best release date would be. so a hot time to release in the usa might be dead time in china.

finally, there's a lot of red tape and bureaucracy to get through with each territory, it would require a lot more manpower and money to make sure they are all cut through and signed off on simultaneously across the world.

simultaneous release is possible, it's just not easy and depends on a lot of factors.
    Makes sense. Appreciate the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Makes sense. Appreciate the answer
    no probs mate. it was a fair question, and i think if sony could, they would.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    What’s the matter folk? Aren’t y’all excited for... **checks notes** a Kraven the Hunter, black car, Silver Sable & Morbius movie???
    If they make them I'll give them a chance.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    If they make them I'll give them a chance.
    yeah, they might pull something off. odds are against them, but...who knows? they obviously have nothing better to work on....
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    yeah, they might pull something off. odds are against them, but...who knows? they obviously have nothing better to work on....
    The main problem I see is that too make movies starring these characters, you'd have to change them so much that you might as well make new characters.

And considering none of these guys have a lot of name recognition...

Why wouldn't Sony make properties they'd own, outright?

Morbius should be able to work with the right team considering he's a reluctant vampire, and those can be successful. But why not make your own reluctant vampire movie Sony? You'd own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    The main problem I see is that too make movies starring these characters, you'd have to change them so much that you might as well make new characters.

And considering none of these guys have a lot of name recognition...

Why wouldn't Sony make properties they'd own, outright?

Morbius should be able to work with the right team considering he's a reluctant vampire, and those can be successful. But why not make your own reluctant vampire movie Sony? You'd own it.

besides the fact that almost every vampire movie has a reluctant vampire anyway?

in the studio mindset, a licensed property is less risky than an original one...even one they would 100% own.

and even though people in comic circles don't consider kraven or morbius to be big pulls, the general public don't make that much of a distinction. they'll hear of the connection to venom, which is a connection to spider-man, which is a connection to the mcu.

developing no-name properties can be successful, as hollywood learned with guardians of the galaxy. developing a new one can be risky, as they learned with jupiter ascending and after earth. even successful originals like pacific rim had to really fight to get that success, and that still scares hollywood.

that's not to say i think they're right or even doing the right thing. a lot of remakes, reboots and franchise films are failing at the box office...people probably do want to see a quality original idea. but as long as marvel, lord of the rings, twilight, harry potter, hunger games and all those franchises keep earning the big bucks, hollywood will chase anything that's even remotely related.

the brand still matters. i think sony have a better chance of earning bank on a morbius adaptation than a morbius rip off.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Venom is not nor should ever be R in tone. Even the whole "eat your brain" schtick is reminiscent of someone at a Haunted house trying to be scary. That is why I find it funny when people and websites like CBR say that it should have been a horror movie. https://www.cbr.com/venom-should-hav...-horror-movie/
    It is fundamentally different to do a Venom with Spiderman than without Spiderman. Yeah Spiderman is around limit the Violence and gore because people are bring there small kids and that is not the tone you want. Without Spiderman what is Venom " a body snatching alien" that turns a human into a monster "with ridiculous jaw full of razor sharp teeth and long tongue which ooze slime" who has tendency towards violence and other symbiotes are even more ruthless killers. Who is primary audience? Males 16 -30 . It is the set up for a R Franchise. I don't have to make that strong of case there is a movie named "Upgrade" released earlier this year that was a basically Venom movie.

Yeah, from the standpoint of viewers, established properties are safer because they have a good idea as to what to expect.

Passed the 500M mark this weekend: https://deadline.com/2018/10/hallowe...ce-1202490940/

And the gravy train doesn't end here. Next weekend it opens in Japan and the weekend after that is the big one, China.