Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It has a review embargo almost up to the day of release that's never a good sign it's probably going to take a beating critically. Also while different genre of film A Star is Born is coming out and is getting fantastic reviews and Stars Lady Gaga who has a bigger fan following than Venom.
    No matter how bad the Venom reviews are, it still crushes A Star is Born at the box office. No contest.

And while the reviews, as we see, are not glowing, it's not going to deter curious fans. I definitely know they haven't put a dent in my desire to see the movie.

I never expected it to be great but I do expect it to be a ridiculous good time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    No matter how bad the Venom reviews are, it still crushes A Star is Born at the box office. No contest.
    First weekend hands down Venom wins. After their runs are over, maybe A Star is Born beats Venom domestically?

And while the reviews, as we see, are not glowing, it's not going to deter curious fans. I definitely know they haven't put a dent in my desire to see the movie.

I never expected it to be great but I do expect it to be a ridiculous good time.
    The raise of "Nerd Culture" I think has over estimated the reach of comic book characters. Venom fans will want to see this but the general audience only know Venom from a Spider-Man film where many considered him one of the worse aspects. So bad reviews IMO will sink Venom while a Star is Born may have less ticket sales but only had a 36 million dollar budget and will be the success story of this box office weekend.

reviews aren't for fans, they are for normal people. fans show up no matter what.

and reviews absolutely matter to casuals. we've seen that over and over and over again. especially the second week drop hinges on word of mouth.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    reviews aren't for fans, they are for normal people. fans show up no matter what.

and reviews absolutely matter to casuals. we've seen that over and over and over again. especially the second week drop hinges on word of mouth.
    That's my point if A Star is Born which has good reviews and does well because it had such a lower budget becomes the success story of the weekend and all the articles are positive for it and negative for Venom it will drop big by weekend 2 once the fans have seen it and this will hurt the overall performance.

BANNED

Someone said as much in the reviews...if you're watching it for the star, that's really the point
    It is scientifically possible for you to ever dislike something?

Not a knock against you, but you always seem so dang pleased with everything that comes out. It's kind of weird.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-02-2018 at 06:50 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It is scientifically possible for you to ever dislike something?

Not a knock against you, but you always seem so dang pleased with everything that comes out. It's kind of weird.
    I find that looking for the positive is a far better way to go through life than being negative.

I think it's much more weird for someone to be a fan - of comics or movies or anything - but yet derive little to no enjoyment out of that thing they follow.

And yes, there are plenty of things I don't like but I just rarely bother to voice my opinion about them.

As for Venom, in particular, based on everything we've seen since the promotion for this movie has started, I think it's silly for anyone to be shocked now that the reviews are rolling in that this movie is on the cheesy side. If anyone thought this movie was going to be anything other than that, I don't know what promos they've been watching.

While I would prefer to have every movie be brilliantly made, that's just not how it goes. If you're a movie fan, and especially a fan of genre films, you have to cultivate a taste for schlock and cheese. Otherwise, movie going will be a frequently miserable experience.

Venom looks like a movie to have fun with as long as you approach it with the proper attitude. Who knows, it may not even clear that bar but I'll give it a shot and find out.

BANNED

The raise of "Nerd Culture" I think has over estimated the reach of comic book characters. Venom fans will want to see this but the general audience only know Venom from a Spider-Man film where many considered him one of the worse aspects. So bad reviews IMO will sink Venom while a Star is Born may have less ticket sales but only had a 36 million dollar budget and will be the success story of this box office weekend.
    Both movies will do well but Venom is not going to be a failure.

Even if it doesn't have great legs, it's going to do well enough to spawn a sequel and will not slow down the Sony Spider-verse.

BANNED

I find that looking for the positive is a far better way to go through life than being negative.

I think it's much more weird for someone to be a fan - of comics or movies or anything - but yet derive little to no enjoyment out of that thing they follow
    It's called having critical faculties. Nothing is immune from it, not even things that you know have had quality in the past, and can have quality again in the future, which can be brought about by being displeased by what you have in the present, provided of course it displays narrative weaknesses.

Even if it doesn't have great legs, it's going to do well enough to spawn a sequel and will not slow down the Sony Spider-verse.
    Said with such conviction

Sony are doing a pretty bang-up job of doing that themselves, having axed Silver and Black already.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-02-2018 at 06:55 AM.

BANNED

It's called having critical faculties. Nothing is immune from it, not even things that you know have had quality in the past, and can have quality again in the future, which can be brought about by being displeased by what you have in the present, provided of course it displays narrative weaknesses.
    Yes, I know all about critical faculties. In fact, I have worked as a critic for newspapers and websites in the past and have had my work published in film magazines.

So when you started this with a disingenuous "not a knock against you" and then proceed to openly insult me, I think it's time for you to stop and take a step back.

Said with such conviction
    Yes. Venom is going to do well. Critically panned movies succeed all the time. This will be one of them. Would it do better if it were actually good, sure. But it's still going to draw an audience.

Sony are doing a pretty bang-up job of doing that themselves, having axed Silver and Black already.
    Better to kill something in development than put the money into a movie that's bound to tank.

Both movies will do well but Venom is not going to be a failure.

We live in a world where a Justice League and Solo a Star Wars film are considered failures due to box office performance and they did better than most films. Venom had a 100 million dollar budget which doesn't include marketing conservatively it will probably have to make 300 million just to break even and that is low estimate given marketing is usually 50 to 100 million on films of that size and Studios only get about 60% of the box office less internationally and I don't think it will have great legs given next week is First Man and Bad Time at El Royale (Which has a Great Cast) and week 3 Halloween. It might end up rolling out of theaters like a Turd in the Wind.

Extraordinary Member

The reviews for this movie are in and they are....well, they are mixed.

My opinion that this movie should have been a romantic comedy have been confirmed.

BANNED

We live in a world where a Justice League and Solo a Star Wars film are considered failures due to box office performance and they did better than most films. Venom had a 100 million dollar budget which doesn't include marketing conservatively it will probably have to make 300 million just to break even and that is low estimate given marketing is usually 50 to 100 million on films of that size and Studios only get about 60% of the box office less internationally and I don't think it will have great legs given next week is First Man and Bad Time at El Royale (Which has a Great Cast) and week 3 Halloween. It might end up rolling out of theaters like a Turd in the Wind.
    We'll all find out soon enough how well Venom actually does.

But JL and Solo's profitability were hampered by costly reshoots and, in both cases, neither of those "failures" have deterred the larger universes from going forward.

Sony is not going to give up trying to capitalize on the Marvel IP's that they have, even if Venom just does "ok."

Extraordinary Member

Need I remind anyone that their backup plan is a Morbius movie?

Now, I love Morbius. I really love Morbius. He's my favorite character! But he's not someone you base a franchise around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Need I remind anyone that their backup plan is a Morbius movie?

Now, I love Morbius. I really love Morbius. He's my favorite character! But he's not someone you base a franchise around.
    Yeah, it is a cluster over there.

I just get reminded of those leaked emails from a few years ago and realize people like that are in charge, shrug my shoulders, and move on.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html