Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Imago View Post
    After all the shit this movie has been receiving since the day it was announced, this makes me very happy.
    Yep, critics did their best to try and kill it but when people have an interest in a movie, they're going to see it for themselves and make up their own minds.

And once people actually did see it, most appreciated it for what it is - a fun action film.

There's definitely room for improvement in the sequel but it was a good start and Tom Hardy is clearly having a blast as Brock/Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I'm kind of curious to see what Sony could do with Slott's new Doc Ock. Keep the personality. Keep the new look and go with the "Norman Osborn is the real villain" angle.
    It's bad enough Marvel Studios might not have access to Kraven because of Sony, but I'd hate the idea that they might not even have access to the "big villains" even if they're not rushing to use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Imago View Post
    After all the shit this movie has been receiving since the day it was announced, this makes me very happy.
    Why was it getting so much crap? Out of all the upcoming Marvel characters that had yet to get a movie Venom was the closest thing to a can't miss. The character sells itself and has an easy origin story that can be told with or without Spidey. Plus they got Hardy to play Eddie Brock.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Why was it getting so much crap? Out of all the upcoming Marvel characters that had yet to get a movie Venom was the closest thing to a can't miss. The character sells itself and has an easy origin story that can be told with or without Spidey. Plus they got Hardy to play Eddie Brock.
    I think that there is a bias against Superhero/Comic movies within Film Critic circles.

They'll grade these films more harshly, and try to smother them when they can get away with it, and even it's mostly done on an unconscious bias at the individual level, you can still see this come through on the aggregate score.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    I think that there is a bias against Superhero/Comic movies within Film Critic circles.

They'll grade these films more harshly, and try to smother them when they can get away with it, and even it's mostly done on an unconscious bias at the individual level, you can still see this come through on the aggregate score.
    Yeah it's very rare to see film critics that make a solid attempt to fairly review films. Part of why I ignore them.

Mighty Member

For me, Venom a tremendous deconstruction of an abusive love story where one party is needlessly controlling, easily offended, and hold different social and economic views.

If it didn't deal with that, I didn't like it. The Life Foundation was boring.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    For me, Venom a tremendous deconstruction of an abusive love story where one party is needlessly controlling, easily offended, and hold different social and economic views.

If it didn't deal with that, I didn't like it. The Life Foundation was boring.
    I feel conflicted on this. I like this dynamic in the comic, it works in the comic. But does this mean that it would have worked in this movie? There's no Spiderman for Venom to be mad at, no Deadpool for it catch insanity from, and there's none of the negative klyntar history. Instead, we get a Venom who, sure, has been tortured a bit, but nothing it can't shrug off. One could argue that this is Venom without the emotional baggage of the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah it's very rare to see film critics that make a solid attempt to fairly review films. Part of why I ignore them.
    I think critics are desperate to start the "superhero fatigue" narrative. Sony has had a lot of issues as a studio, so if anyone was going to fail it was going to be them.

BANNED

Why was it getting so much crap?
    People watched the trailer.
    And people already were sceptical about the concept of a Spider-Man shared universe that doesn't actually have Spider-Man in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    And people already were sceptical about the concept of a Spider-Man shared universe that doesn't actually have Spider-Man in it.
    With the way the two ASM films went, that is actually a plus for me!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I'm still skeptical. Venom is a valuable property that had withstood the test of time far better than it ever should have. Venom can stand on its own. I'm not sure Morbius can.

"The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post

Is that why Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, The Dark Knight, Guardians of the Galaxy, Logan, Wonder Woman, Black Panther and Iron Man have scored over 90% on RT?

One movie gets negative rating that someone personally likes and it's "wah critics are biased!".

By the way, it's very simple why Venom isn't getting good critical reception. Because critics rate movies on how good they are as movies(script, direction, plot, etc), not how much they personally enjoyed it. Because I've seen a few critics say that they enjoyed Venom, but still gave it a negative score, because it's still not a good movie.

How many of you think Venom is a good movie? Not your personal enjoyment, but story-telling wise.

I think critics are desperate to start the "superhero fatigue" narrative. Sony has had a lot of issues as a studio, so if anyone was going to fail it was going to be them.
    I think a lot of critics really just don't like the genre and are happy to verbally crap on any movie in the genre.

BANNED

A $205 million opening weekend, the biggest in October release history

https://deadline.com/2018/10/venom-a...ce-1202478000/