Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 LastLast

I've seen it today. It's not as bad as everyone says but it's not great either. I wasn't dissapointed because I've had zero expectations but neither I was amazed. I've seen worse movies and Venom is not even in Top 10. But! Through whole movie I've been feeling that something major is missing... Yeah, Spider-Man. I just can't take Venom seriously without Spider-Man when it comes to his origin story.
    CGI was meh to okay. Characters - most of them - bland af. Some scenes were clearly cutted off. I don't need Tom Hardy's words to know that. You can feel that something is not right.
    Good things? Relations between Eddie and Venom and Venom's design (superior to SM3 version, imo). That's all.
    I'm not Venom hater, because I'm fan of his comic incarnation, but I would not recommend this movie to Marvel/Superhero/Venom fans. The whole movie for me is one time thing, I'll probably never watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Is that why Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, The Dark Knight, Guardians of the Galaxy, Logan, Wonder Woman, Black Panther and Iron Man have scored over 90% on RT?

One movie gets negative rating that someone personally likes and it's "wah critics are biased!".

By the way, it's very simple why Venom isn't getting good critical reception. Because critics rate movies on how good they are as movies(script, direction, plot, etc), not how much they personally enjoyed it. Because I've seen a few critics say that they enjoyed Venom, but still gave it a negative score, because it's still not a good movie.

How many of you think Venom is a good movie? Not your personal enjoyment, but story-telling wise.
    So the list movies spans well over a decade. I'm fairly certain that "super-hero fatigue" wasn't a thing when Spider-Man 2 came out, for example.

A few of the of the other examples you mention prove the point, really. If people called Logan shit people would call them out on it. If they called Black Panther or Wonder Woman shit, they'd get called out for more than just a genre bias.

All the other movies you mentioned came out before the Superhero Fatigue narrative really set in.

Now I'll grant you, from a film critic perspective, Venom wasn't exactly best picture material. But is was competent enough.

So apparently Avi Arad says that Carnage doesn't fit to the R Rated mold by trying to making him a sympathetic villain rather than an non sympathetic psychopath like source material.

Rant: This what piss me off us that Arad and Sony are clearly gullible and clueless about this Sony Marvel universe attempt by shoehorning spinoff with characters that doesn't fit to the PG-13 rating. But Nerfing and humanizing Cletus Kassidy is no from me. Avi Arad is an asshole and a reason I want him gone from Spider-Man films anything he touch is a crap no wonder Spider-Man fans hate him so much and tired by his Executive Meddling. Ridiculous
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKent17 View Post
    So apparently Avi Arad says that Carnage doesn't fit to the R Rated mold by trying to making him a sympathetic villain rather than an non sympathetic psychopath like source material.

Rant: This what piss me off us that Arad and Sony are clearly gullible and clueless about this Sony Marvel universe attempt by shoehorning spinoff with characters that doesn't fit to the PG-13 rating. But Nerfing and humanizing Cletus Kassidy is no from me. Avi Arad is an asshole and a reason I want him gone from Spider-Man films anything he touch is a crap no wonder Spider-Man fans hate him so much and tired by his Executive Meddling. Ridiculous
    What does Carnage being sympathetic have to do with the rating?

The rating would be determined by the level of on-screen violence.

Truth be told, an R-rating seems a better fit for Venom's brand anyway.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    So the list movies spans well over a decade. I'm fairly certain that "super-hero fatigue" wasn't a thing when Spider-Man 2 came out, for example.

A few of the of the other examples you mention prove the point, really. If people called Logan shit people would call them out on it. If they called Black Panther or Wonder Woman shit, they'd get called out for more than just a genre bias.

All the other movies you mentioned came out before the Superhero Fatigue narrative really set in.

Now I'll grant you, from a film critic perspective, Venom wasn't exactly best picture material. But is was competent enough.
    Just this year we had Black Panther, Infinity War, Incredibles 2, Deadpool 2 and Ant-Man and the Wasp. All of them had good to great critical reception. So just after three months after the last superhero movie, critics suddenly have "superhero fatigue"?

Seriously, critics didn't think Venom was a good movie. That's it. There's no bias, there's no conspiracy, there's no superhero fatigue. They thought it was a bad movie and there's nothing more to it. Why is it so hard to accept?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

He says that Cletus is tortured soul in which in reality he's not he's actually a scary psychopath born from the beginning and this is a proof that he doesn't understand Spider-Man and it's characters because he's a goon.
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

idk, r is fine...but venom started off pg in the comics and kinda always has been. it's fine.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

He says that Cletus is tortured soul in which in reality he's not he's actually a scary psychopath born from the beginning and this is a proof that he doesn't understand Spider-Man and it's characters because he's a goon.
    Strictly speaking, in reality, Cletus doesn't exist.

But hey, not being a poor man's Joker and played by Woody Harrelson... might be the first version of Carnage ever that works as an actual character.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    idk, r is fine...but venom started off pg in the comics and kinda always has been. it's fine.
    The PG tone is fine but Venom franchise is better as action/horror film than going for the superhero money. The point is proven by Venom eating people yeah you pull it off but those were the money shots and moments people are waiting for and not getting over time will get annoying. Wolverine worked without being R but blood and wolverine claws actually cutting stuff made a difference in Logan. With spiderman around I get it go PG but no Spiderman it is better off as an R long term

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    Yeah. Heck the Venom movie didn't suffer from being PG-13. I think the flaws were in the story structure and having more blood wouldn't've fixed that.

I liked the movie overall. Maybe not a flawless film (weak villain, for one), but it got the character really well and had a good lead actor. I really don't see why it's getting half the flack it is.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yep, critics did their best to try and kill it but when people have an interest in a movie, they're going to see it for themselves and make up their own minds.

And once people actually did see it, most appreciated it for what it is - a fun action film.

There's definitely room for improvement in the sequel but it was a good start and Tom Hardy is clearly having a blast as Brock/Venom.
    I just said the exact same thing on the xmen forums for New Mutants, finally people are now thinking for themselves when it comes to comic movies and seeing what is really going on with critics. Critics should have played it more neutral and honest instead of trying to kill Venom.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    But hey, not being a poor man's Joker and played by Woody Harrelson... might be the first version of Carnage ever that works as an actual character.
    I wasn't following the film too closely so when Harrelson is shown as Cletus I was a bit surprised and pleasantly shocked.

Woody can ham up some scenery so as reluctant as I was on this film I'm likely to have some excitement for what now seems an inevitable sequel.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member

I'm sorry, but are most Venom comics really that violent? I mean, they are, but the violence is normally sort of hidden.

Now, Carnage...why does that need to be a movie? Maybe as a villain for Venom, but as a hero? No, just no.

I went to see this and i walked out half way through the film in disgust, how is this thing making money? I mean i'm not even a Venom fan and i felt this was a terrible representation and i think Hardy (one of my fav actors) really tried to sell this but i just couldn't for the life of me finish this. The effects looked cheap and dialogue between Eddie and Venom was just awful, if people like this i will accept it but i really hope there are no more sequels...but i really doubt i will get my wish.

He's the Joker of the Marvel Universe only with an alien attached to him and just can't do the world a favor and die no matter how many times he gets killed in the comics.