Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Bendis on Spiders has me interesting. For $5 though, it had better tie to something. They are kinda setting themselves up for failure . If sales are great then Marvel will see it as a need to go back to the old characters and probably dump some of the new ones. However, if it fails, it means that no one wants to see the older characters and they will continue on with the newer versions. I see why they are doing it, but its a bit of a risk in the long term.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Bendis on Spiders has me interesting. For $5 though, it had better tie to something. They are kinda setting themselves up for failure . If sales are great then Marvel will see it as a need to go back to the old characters and probably dump some of the new ones. However, if it fails, it means that no one wants to see the older characters and they will continue on with the newer versions. I see why they are doing it, but its a bit of a risk in the long term.
    If these sell well, why would Marvel see it as a need to go back to the old characters and dump some of the new ones? These issues are celebrating both generations of heroes. If they're a success, it would seem to reflect an embrace of both generations.

And if it fails, why would Marvel assume that it meant that no one cared about the older characters? It could just as well mean that readers only want the older characters and hate the new ones.

Finally, we know Legacy is coming in the fall in which new and old heroes will be together. So regardless of what Generations does saleswise, Marvel still already plans on bringing back the classic heroes as well as keeping the new versions.

And as for this "better tie into something"? Fans constantly complain that resent being obliged to buy books that tie-in to larger events, then they also complain that the books they buy better "mean something" and tie-in to some bigger event! I don't know - is it just that a lot of fans just love to complain under any circumstances?

I expect that these Generations one-shots will have some impact on future events (possibly a lot) but my main incentive to buy the ones I'm planning to get is that I like the characters and the creative teams involved and they sound fun. Isn't that reason enough to buy any book? Because you're interested in reading it for its own sake?

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I'm down for this, I love tribute team ups like these.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    how is Jean a legacy character for herself? i don't get that. why not use the Novas or the Quasars instead?
    After the retcon regarding the O5's timeline, Marvel can get away with anything with those teen characters, since they're basically not supposed to be the same characters we knew from the 60s anymore. I won't be surprised if they just stick around forever, each one developing into something of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She doesn't have it now. During Young Avengers volume 2, she was dating Marvel Boy. He's the one who gave her that bow. She returned it when they broke up near the end of the series. When she appeared in All-New Hawkeye shortly after, she'd reverted to her normal bow.
    Well, if the covers are anything to go by, then she DOES have it now. I know she borrowed it from Noh-Varr (I didn't remember that she returned it, though). It doesn't really matter, anyway; they can just say she got it back at some point (it's only fair: he broke her heart, she keeps his super cool bow :P). I just want it to be a part of the story because I like the idea of the contrast between a very old-school and a modern archer. Classic Clint's reaction to an alien bow should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I remember how Kate commented on Clint's old costume and said she would never dress up like that.
    That's what makes it so funny! I wonder if that variant is gonna reflect anything from the story and we'll actually see her wearing that godawful thing.

how is Jean a legacy character for herself? i don't get that. why not use the Novas or the Quasars instead?
    Well, who cares, it's a story about Jean Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    How the hell is THE MARVELS the only one with no artist yet? Also, no Wasp or Nova? Yet Jean gets a book with herself, ok?
    Well, we've got Jan showing up in an upcoming arc of Unstoppable (maybe even it's last arc unless the Scholastic deal really keeps it going) and Nova's was cancelled so I imagine that's why they're not included here.

And there's probably not much of an interest or the right time for an Ant-Man Generations book.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I remember how Kate commented on Clint's old costume and said she would never dress up like that.
    Which is kind of funny given her old costume isn't that far off from Clint's classic look...

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Well, if the covers are anything to go by, then she DOES have it now. I know she borrowed it from Noh-Varr (I didn't remember that she returned it, though). It doesn't really matter, anyway; they can just say she got it back at some point (it's only fair: he broke her heart, she keeps his super cool bow :P). I just want it to be a part of the story because I like the idea of the contrast between a very old-school and a modern archer. Classic Clint's reaction to an alien bow should be fun.

That's what makes it so funny! I wonder if that variant is gonna reflect anything from the story and we'll actually see her wearing that godawful thing.
    The white background ones are variant covers - notice that the Wolverine one has Laura in her outdated ANAD costume instead of her ResurrXion one like on the main cover. So I think Hawkeye will be rocking the retro costume, not the Kree bow. You'll notice that the Archers variant also shows her hair without bangs - which is how she looked in Young Avengers. So like with Wolverine, the artist used an outdated look for Kate for some reason.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-20-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The white background ones are variant covers - notice that the Wolverine one has Laura in her outdated ANAD costume instead of her ResurrXion one like on the main cover. So I think Hawkeye will be rocking the retro costume, not the Kree bow. You'll notice that the Archers variant also shows her hair without bangs - which is how she looked in Young Avengers. So like with Wolverine, the artist used an outdated look for Kate for some reason.
    Well, I just assumed that the covers with the white background were the main ones because it was a pattern among all the covers, but you have a point about Wolverine's costume. Or maybe the artist just got it wrong; because Laura was also with her yellow and blue suit on the first promotional picture for Generations. And I wouldn't read too much into Kate's hair; she's wearing a headband there, so for all we know her bangs could be pushed back.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 05-20-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Well, I just assumed that the covers with the white background were the main ones because it was a pattern among all the covers
    The white covers explicitly say VARIANT EDITION on the top left corner.

Besides, Marvel frequently does themed variants for events even if Generations is being billed as not an event (e.g. Monsters Unleashed Francavilla 50s movie posters, Secret Empire Sorrentino Hydra Heroes and Mora Villains, IVX Inhumans and X-Men, etc).
    Last edited by rui no onna; 05-20-2017 at 02:35 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Oh, I hadn't catch that. Had to zoom in to see it. Thanks.

Marvel is desperate and wants our money?
    Pretty much.
    They also want to capitalize on the nostalgia that's associated with the classic characters without actually having to change anything in the current continuity.
    So they want money and they're being kinda lazy, lol
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

Dang, I too was confused but when I read this I got excited when I read your comment cause my favorite cover of the bunch was the Stephanie Hans Jean Grey cover, then I saw that even though that isn't a white background cover, it also says "Variant Edition". I'm gonna have to keep an eye for pre-orders on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimeBeherit View Post
    Dang, I too was confused but when I read this I got excited when I read your comment cause my favorite cover of the bunch was the Stephanie Hans Jean Grey cover, then I saw that even though that isn't a white background cover, it also says "Variant Edition". I'm gonna have to keep an eye for pre-orders on that one.
    Lol, I missed that. In any case, both covers for Jean Grey were noted as variants so I'm guessing they made a mistake pasting that on one of them (likely the Stephanie Hans is just regular cover).

Variants aren't always premium priced, though. Depends on whether they're incentivized or open to buy. DC Rebirth has a variant for every single issue but since they're all open to buy, they mostly just sell for cover price.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Lol, I missed that. In any case, both covers for Jean Grey were noted as variants so I'm guessing they made a mistake pasting that on one of them (likely the Stephanie Hans is just regular cover).

Variants aren't always premium priced, though. Depends on whether they're incentivized or open to buy. DC Rebirth has a variant for every single issue but since they're all open to buy, they mostly just sell for cover price.
    I hope it was just mistake. Though you're probably right, with the way that most of these books are showing off two covers, there's a higher chance that they won't be incentivized variants. Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    And as for this "better tie into something"? Fans constantly complain that resent being obliged to buy books that tie-in to larger events, then they also complain that the books they buy better "mean something" and tie-in to some bigger event! I don't know - is it just that a lot of fans just love to complain under any circumstances?

I expect that these Generations one-shots will have some impact on future events (possibly a lot) but my main incentive to buy the ones I'm planning to get is that I like the characters and the creative teams involved and they sound fun. Isn't that reason enough to buy any book? Because you're interested in reading it for its own sake?
    Probably not the same fans complaining though. Different factions within the fandom.

Personally, I'm on the camp of less tie-ins. It just so happens I'm not interested in majority of the characters featured in the Generations books. The Americas, I'm definitely getting. Iffy on The Best and The Phoenix. Hope there aren't any additional "essential" tie-ins to Secret Empire or books with Skottie Young variants next month.

In any case, on the DC side, they're releasing a bunch of books that I expect absolutely do not matter (DCU/Looney Tunes xovers) and a lot of DC fans are excited. My only regret is my budget only had room for one of them (chose The Legion/Bugs Bunny).
    Last edited by rui no onna; 05-20-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    Currently Following: