Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The Stan Lee/Jack Kirby Silver Surfer Graphic Novel from 1978.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Marvels
    God loves, Man kills
    Triumph & Torment

Could the original Old Man Logan count? It’s very standalone.
    I was just reviewing this on Marvel Unlimited. Old Man Logan was originally part of the Wolverine run of 2002-2003. IIRC It ran from issues 66-72. but wasn't that the case with Watchmen too? The single issues came first, then the collected version?

Keep your suggestions coming guys!

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

I don't have a 'favorite' graphic novel, but I'm really enjoying Jim Starlin's Thanos Infinity trilogy at the moment.

BANNED

Triumph and Torment
    Parallel Lives
    God Loves, Man Kills

Extraordinary Member

Does limited series that was collected in a trade count??

Empty is thy hand!

Avengers: Emperor Doom is closer to what I wanted in the movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    Avengers: Emperor Doom is closer to what I wanted in the movies.
    Oh I love Emperor Doom...

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

To me, graphic novel is a story that was originally published in a single issue (not a floppy issue, so counting the prestige format too) rather than a collection of issues reprinted in a trade. Using that definition.....

Death of Captain Marvel, God Loves Man Kills, New Mutants, Rahne of Terra and its sequel, and the Wolverine/Apocalypse/Savage Land story come to mind.

Now, there are some perfectly awesome stories in trades too.

Marvels, first and foremost, is amazing. The Romita Daredevil Man without Fear collection is great. The first trade I ever owned was the Dark Phoenix trade, and it was my first exposure to the X-Men. This was before the retcons, so Jean was Phoenix. The Avengers/Korvac trade with its tragic ending.
    Last edited by mikelmcknight72; 05-18-2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Adding text

Hulk & The Thing: The Big Change from Starlin/Wrightson. Great artwork with a sense of humor.

Incredible Member

I have four favourites. God Loves Man Kills, Triumph and Torment, and Death of Captain Marvel have already been mentioned. Return To Big Nothing was the other one, starring the Punisher. I was never a big Punisher fan before that, but I loved the character after that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    To me, graphic novel is a story that was originally published in a single issue (not a floppy issue, so counting the prestige format too) rather than a collection of issues reprinted in a trade. Using that definition.....

Death of Captain Marvel, God Loves Man Kills, New Mutants, Rahne of Terra and its sequel, and the Wolverine/Apocalypse/Savage Land story come to mind.

Now, there are some perfectly awesome stories in trades too.

Marvels, first and foremost, is amazing. The Romita Daredevil Man without Fear collection is great. The first trade I ever owned was the Dark Phoenix trade, and it was my first exposure to the X-Men. This was before the retcons, so Jean was Phoenix. The Avengers/Korvac trade with its tragic ending.
    Yes, agreed, that's how I'd read the "Graphic Novel" definition.

For anyone that's interested, a full list of the "European sized" books that came out in the Marvel Graphic Novel line can be found on these sites:
    http://www.boomvavavoom.com/gnlist.html
    &
    http://comicsbulletin.com/definitive...c-novels-list/

The one on boomvavavoom is perhaps more comprehensive (comic bulletin appear to have simply copied it), as it also features cover pictures.
    There are a few errors however:

Wolverine: Bloodlust was not in the MGN format, it is US trade size and came out around the same as a few standalone Wolverine books in this format like the previously mentioned Rahne of Terra and The Jungle Adventure.
    Wolverine: Bloody Choices shows the wrong cover. The one shown is from a US-sized reprint.
    The Halo book shouldn't be there at all AFAIK.
    Not Marvel, but in the DC section, London Editions brought out Superman Spectacular #2 as well as #1.

If anyone is interested in collecting these, purely to decide on whether any fit the bill for this thread (it would be an odd reason, but whatever), it's worth mentioning that a few of these wouldn't strictly fit the definition.
    Night Raven: The Collected Stories is exactly that; reprint, so not an entity in its own right (although different to content in the recent "From the Vaults" collection in that it is coloured).

Death's Head: The Body In Question, and The Chronicles of Genghis Grimtoad may have been serialised in Marvel UK's Strip magazine before the GNs were released. I'd have to check, but that seems to fit.

The Epic Moebius ones are reprints, I'd guess from a variety of places. His stuff was printed all over the place and collected in a bunch of places like Catalan Communications. Titan did these in the UK too. The English version of Moebius 1/2 is by Graphitti, and Moebius 0 is by Dark Horse.

I foolishly made it a mission to own everything in the MGN format a while back. I'm still missing a couple of Moebius ones, because I'm not prepared to spend stupid money, and hunting things down for a decent price is part of the thrill.

They've kinda resurrected the format with the Marvel OGN line: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marve...Graphic_Novels
    Annoyingly Deadpool: Bad Blood was smaller dimensionally than the previous releases. Not sure why, but I didn't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    I have four favourites. God Loves Man Kills, Triumph and Torment, and Death of Captain Marvel have already been mentioned. Return To Big Nothing was the other one, starring the Punisher. I was never a big Punisher fan before that, but I loved the character after that.
    Agreed on all of your choices. And I remember Return to Big Nothing had great artwork from Mike Zeck. Another favorite GN with Punisher would be The Punisher: Assassin's Guild. An underrated classic (IMHO).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed on all of your choices. And I remember Return to Big Nothing had great artwork from Mike Zeck. Another favorite GN with Punisher would be The Punisher: Assassin's Guild. An underrated classic (IMHO).
    Haven't read that one. I'll have to check it out.